AuthorTopic: [WIP] [C+C] Newbie - Difficulty with character proportions and reflections  (Read 3997 times)

Offline Xolotl

• View Profile
Here's something that's baffling me:

The lower half is supposed to be still water. The reflection for the middle tile was easy, but I'm at a complete loss as to how to reflect the left and right tiles, because they're both at an angle. Nothing I do looks quite right. Even if I copy the above pattern, with each column of pixels shifted up one, it doesn't look like the same dirt / grass. Can anybody help me solve this?

--

I'm a programmer but I'm determined to develop some basic skill in pixel art. Here's what I've come up with for a full-screen 320x240 game:

The tiles are far from perfect but I'm content with them for the moment. My priority is to make a basic human character and I'm having no end of trouble finding the right proportions. I'm wondering if there is a way to draw a character of a similar size (slightly smaller or larger doesn't matter) which will:

a) Not have clearly defined facial features but seem like they have a face nevertheless.
b) Not have a big anime haircut that obscures most of the face.
c) Not have overly cartoonish proportions.

The closest example I can find is this:

Obviously he has a massive haircut and huge armour but he satisfies all of the other requirements. I can't work out how I would depict such a character from the front, however.

Can anybody provide an example of a pixel art character that might satisfy these requirements, or suggest how I could create one? Maybe there's even a tutorial somewhere?

Here's attempt #2:

I'm much happier with it, just because I've managed to remove that goofy little face of his. The right leg on the side view is possibly a bit off though, I think. Also, is his arm too fat in the side view, or is it OK as is?
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 03:16:28 pm by Xolotl »

Offline Agent K

• View Profile
For the Land and the reflection, I think the main issue is that none of your edges approach a vanishing point.  As the upper and lower land edges approach the vanishing point the should really come closer together from the 45 degree angle it appears you are looking from.  Also it won't be much in this instance since the land doesn't appear to be very high bove the water, but if it were really high, then the land would get "skinnier" as it approached the water.  I drew some estimated vanishing points as an example

The reflection should also approch these, or whatever vanishing point you chose, as it approches the edge of the frame.  I sorta did a quick edit on the land.  I'm a super noob at pixeling but I would go with something like this as far as perspective goes

EDIT: After looking I think your vanishing points should probably be moved farther apart than mine.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 08:01:41 pm by Agent K »

Offline Xolotl

• View Profile
Thanks for your help.

Unfortunately creating a vanishing point would remove tileability. Here's what I'm trying to do:

Offline Letmethink

• Lol!
    • View Profile
Maybe something like this?

I can't be bothered to make a signature. Seriously, who has time to write these things? I have stuff to do, games to make, and you expect me to write a big, long signature?  I'm not your slave. You can't tell me what to do, so no, I WON'T write a signature.

Oh, wait...

Offline Xolotl

• View Profile
That's not bad, but it's still not what I'm looking for. The reflections on the diagonal bits still don't resemble the above grass at all. Thanks though.

Offline Tidbit

• View Profile
That's not bad, but it's still not what I'm looking for. The reflections on the diagonal bits still don't resemble the above grass at all. Thanks though.
Thats because he's taking the perspective into account. If it was a perfect replica of the grass above it would look unrealistic. The water surface reflecting the grass is below the the grass, not above it, so the reflection will of course show what the grass looks like from below.

Offline HezaKey

• *draws furiously*
    • hezakey
    • hezakey
    • View Profile
I took Letmethink's edit, and mostly just altered the color palette.

Also did a couple edits to your guy's legs

His posture was way overbalanced, I also went and shaded the lower portions of the legs darker, since they are almost always overshadowed by the body.

Here's an easy reference to make a body look balanced.  In light of years of study this will help you a lot.  When standing the human body will tend to rest more weight on one leg than the other.  If you draw a line from the head to the base of the foot that the person is resting on, it should look fairly vertical.  Try it on your original and you'll see that the line becomes much more diagonal.