AuthorTopic: working on pixel webcomic  (Read 3653 times)

Offline Dr_Pleasant

• View Profile

working on pixel webcomic

on: November 26, 2013, 04:34:34 am
Hi there! I'm trying to make a pixel webcomic, you can check it out here: http://experimentsofdrpleasant.tumblr.com/

There is some swearing in the comic if you don't like potty mouth.

Figured I would go with a little teaser style pic since actual pages are pretty big.

Seeking comments, advice, ect... Some readers would be nice too, since I don't have any friends :(

I have zero art background, so please keep CC in "layman."

Some goals:
*better backgrounds, my backgrounds are basically the worst right now
*double the resolution of sprites (upgrading to 16 bit, as it were)

PS looking for other original art pixel webcomics, I think a lot of interesting things could be done with the style.

PPS I just copied this from my pixel joint post but that'll be our little secret.

Offline Redshrike

• View Profile

Re: working on pixel webcomic

Reply #1 on: November 28, 2013, 05:36:33 pm
Your contrast is generally really low, which makes the comic look rather flat and washes out details (eg: the rightmost girl's dress looks almost like it's one solid color).  You might want to make some of the backgrounds a bit darker and less detail dense if they're going to be in smaller panels like this, as it will help the characters stick out more.  Those are the most general things that come to mind (which may also be relatively quick adjustments), though there's plenty of pixel tech stuff that it could benefit from as well (these are the things that take more time to learn).  If you're not wanting to go back and edit older stuff, I'd suggest looking at some of the pixel masters' work (eg, http://www.pixeljoint.com/pixels/new_icons.asp?ob=rating) and trying to mimic some of the things they do.  Alternatively, you can post specific panels here for feedback, and the fine people of Pixelation can give more specific feedback.

Offline Dr_Pleasant

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: November 30, 2013, 12:02:03 am
Thanks for the advice!  Darker backgrounds is a good idea, I'll be sure to try that out.

Offline YellowLime

• View Profile
    • Sour Pixels

Reply #3 on: December 06, 2013, 12:38:06 pm
There's also the obvious thing: the different sizes of pixels (smaller pixels for the font) almost never (or right out never) look good.

At least each size of pixel respects a grid, from what I could see...

Offline Dr_Pleasant

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: December 19, 2013, 03:38:44 am
Me again.  Got a higher rez sprite WIP I could use some advice on.

On the left is what I'm using now.  The new sprite is about 150% bigger and ANGLED.  Any general advice would be appreciated.  The biggest problem is the bottom half of her dress, which I have no idea what to do with.

As for the pixely font, I think it looks fine.  Unfortunately, even the larger sprite is too small for text before blowing it up.

Offline r1k

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: December 19, 2013, 05:23:02 am
well one issue you have is inconsistant outlining.  The skin is very light yet has a very dark outline, whereas the dress is dark and its outline is lighter than that of the skin.  You should either outline everything consistantly the same value.  OR make the outline for each local color the same relative darkness to the thing being outlined.

Also you have almost no contrast at all.  I couldnt see any of the shading or details on the skin without zooming in.  None of the shading on the dress is visible either except the darkest lines.  Try to start simple.  Just choose 3 colors for each thing: 1 for the non shadow part, 1 for the shadow, and 1 for the outline.  You should be able to put these three colors next to each other, squint, and still easily distinguish the value steps.

The colors for the dress are a little bright.  Try lowering the saturation, and also try some hue shifting to make it more interesting.  The means shifting the hue in one diretion for the lights and in the other direction for the shadows.  The shift doesnt need to be that extreme but even a subtle amount will make it more interesting.

As for how to draw the dress, look up references if youre having problems.  Heres 2 I found that are similar to what you want:
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRoT2lDUf7H-OkbcO3jz7-2sprkSJFuEdmtz_hLOcxG62IMAnb7
http://www.landybridal.co/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/a/-/a-line-one-shoulder-short-chiffon-blue-party-dress-e22420-a.jpg