AuthorTopic: I can't believe how rude this forum can be...  (Read 23875 times)

Offline Lick

• Formerly known as JointJunkie! ;)
    • View Profile
    • yup

Re: I can't believe how rude this forum can be...

Reply #30 on: July 18, 2006, 11:12:01 pm
Yup, you're right. But I actually aimed more at the fact that there probably will not be, a nice response and explanation why it is not appreciated here. Instead, we just yell at the goddang n00b. ;) Haha..
my ds homebrew blog! - contact me if you're interested to work with me on a ds game.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #31 on: July 19, 2006, 02:26:34 am
Oh, and I don't think this is intended as bootcamp (with yelling officers) at all? You probably need to contact one of the founders of Pixelation/Pixelopolis to make sure, but I do not think it was EVER a forum of strict teachings and harsh takedowns. If you can tell me this with certainty then I will shut up.

Actually, pixelation has always been a forum you go to for harsh crits with a "no cry" policy. Examples of that are the notorious "100 characters" rule, the "serious critique" forum that used to exist and even the time where a poll existed that you needed to ace to even sign up...

Pixelation is open to anyone, but it comes with strict rules. Pixelopolis has been more open from the start, it'd be a shame to have to institute a number of rules to enforce stuff that should be second nature anyway...

Offline AdamTierney

• View Profile
    • Adam's Page

Reply #32 on: July 19, 2006, 05:49:20 am
Yup, you're right. But I actually aimed more at the fact that there probably will not be, a nice response and explanation why it is not appreciated here. Instead, we just yell at the goddang n00b. ;) Haha..

It has nothing to do with n00bs. It has to do with what's posted and created. Stop trying to make the mods out to be anti-newcomers, because that's never ever been the case.

- Adam

Offline rabidbaboy

• Jesus Beam!
    • View Profile

Reply #33 on: July 19, 2006, 09:48:06 am
If you want open praise only, open a Deviantart account.

- Adam
oooouuuuch... :D
@Katakus: just like other people said, show people something new and original. then people will be able to see what level of skill you possess, and if that level of skill is enough to create something like the mona lisa pixel art.
and you know, i'd just take harsh comments for what they are: chances to improve. some stuck-up guy always letting you down?improve, and shove your great work in his/her face!
"Baboy" is Filipino for pig.

Offline Sohashu

• View Profile

Reply #34 on: July 19, 2006, 09:51:48 am
I Know for sure that this forum has made me better.  Before I came here, I thought I was among the best(deluded I know).  I got a harsh start, and it made me strive, just to get half as decent as people here.  And all i got on other forums was praise, which deluded me even further.  So really, take it in your stride and take aboard the advice. 
Back from hiatus, just remembered how excellent this community is at forming technique in a fledgeling artist of any kind.

Offline Lick

• View Profile
    • yup

Reply #35 on: July 19, 2006, 10:04:35 am
It has nothing to do with n00bs. It has to do with what's posted and created. Stop trying to make the mods out to be anti-newcomers, because that's never ever been the case.

- Adam
Define "newcomer". Is it someone who is new and posts something that is qualified as pixel art? I know you treat people who post qualified pixel art well. That's not my point.
What I meant with n00b was the ignorant one who doesn't post real pixel art. Those are the cases that need no assumptions, but nicely performed investigations. I firmly believe that a sharp description (nothing harsh needed) of what pixel art really includes, is more than enough to clear that ignorant mind.
I can bet a finger that the next post he mades will be the type of pixel art you want from him. Other wise, repeat once more and I give you another finger if he doesn't. I'll give you up to 3 fingers like this boards rules state. ;)

Don't get me wrong! I know that this forum does its special thing and does that very well. And that's appreciated by many, including me. But I want to know, if there's a little chance to resize that special thing to embrace a lower step so it reaches a wider public.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2006, 10:06:12 am by Lick »
my ds homebrew blog! - contact me if you're interested to work with me on a ds game.

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #36 on: July 19, 2006, 10:05:33 am
when i first came to the forum, i thought i was almost as good as stoven(i went through a phase, were if it had a small amount of colors and it looked easy from zooming up, i thought i could do it.)
and i was HORRIBLY wrong.
atleast now im a bit closer to the level i thought i was at.

Offline flaber

• Captain.
    • View Profile

Reply #37 on: July 19, 2006, 10:16:38 am

@ Helm: I think I should rephrase. What I meant by hobbyists was people who like to look around and post some simple things perhaps, but don't take pixeling as serious as the other group does. The other group studies the greatness of this art and how to use different techniques to achieve different outcomes. That's the group (what a meant with "professiona") I think you belong to. But the thing I want to say is that the latter is not the ONLY group that is allowed to participate in this forum. So as the forum rules apply to both groups, the first group should be treated the same as the last, for they are equal and by no means will the "professional" group have the rights to take down the (what I called) "hobbyists" group.

ahem...
there are professional artists here. professional artists work for different companies either free lance or fulltime. They create graphics for paid/commercial games. There are a select few here that are on that professional level.

then there are the hobbyists.
a hobbyist is a person who persues an activity. a person who persues is someone who strives, trys to gain, and or accomplish. By these terms its meaning people who are wanting to get better with their art, with no true real purpose other than fun/amusment. this group practically applies to nearly everyone here. People come here to post their work to improve and get better. they ask for crits, suggestions and ideas. By asking for such crits, the person begins to learn the different techniques. They look at other people who post here and see what they have done for any ideas for themselves.
By giving a true critique you break down the process of another and analyze.

so when you say
What I meant by hobbyists was people who like to look around and post some simple things perhaps, but don't take pixeling as serious as the other group does. The other group studies the greatness of this art and how to use different techniques to achieve different outcomes.
it confuses me.

the remainder of the population appears to me to be the one time posters.. the lurkers.. and the trouble makers.

im pretty sure katakus is doing this as a hobby, because it seems to be an interst of his outside of regular life and he is not being paid.
please understand what you are even talking about before trying to argue a point. It is very difficult to take this for its full intention when it is not even stated correctly.

personally, i feel this thread is beinging to lose focus.
Iv been watching for awhile and what i can see is Helm being singled out and bashed for nothing very seriouse, and that this is beginning to turn into an arguement/flame war

Offline Lick

• View Profile
    • yup

Reply #38 on: July 19, 2006, 10:24:40 am
If you take out the words hobbyists and professional, and only follow the explanation of the groups, i think it's pretty clear (although abstract). I understand that at first it might've sound weird, but that what you've quoted should clear the confusion I made earlier. If not.. I apologize.

Conclusion of my opinion of this case: being anti-rippers doesn't allow you to break rule #1, even if you're a moderator or just very very serious about pixel art. Besides, a real bootcamp wouldn't have had that rule.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2006, 10:27:37 am by Lick »

Offline CrumbBread

• View Profile

Reply #39 on: July 19, 2006, 02:14:02 pm
@ CrumbBread: About the incorrectly spelled word, yeah I'm sorry I was in a hurry, I just came back from 14 hours of Rotterdam and zoo! Wink

I just thought it was funny that the word you mispelled was the one you took the time to S-P-E-L-L. ^_^ Wow, that is a lot of zoo.

ok *runs away because he's OT*