AuthorTopic: I can't believe how rude this forum can be...  (Read 23871 times)

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Re: I can't believe how rude this forum can be...

Reply #20 on: July 18, 2006, 02:34:55 pm
It's colour reduced, and badly done at that. No point in talking about it... Find yourself another more gullible forum...

Offline AdamTierney

• View Profile
    • Adam's Page

Reply #21 on: July 18, 2006, 04:01:53 pm
The orthodox pixelopolis tribe. And I don't care how professional and great the tribemasters are, if they come to this board to blow some stress off the n00bs, then they should really rethink the purpose of this board.

That's not happening and you know it. As curt as the mods' behavior can be at times, they've never single anyone out. And they're not mean to be mean - the pic in question was not hand-pixelled. That's obvious to anyone who can pixel worth a damn. It lines up perfectly with the original image, pixel for pixel, and there are details in the pixelling like stray pixels and chunky lines (see above her left eyebrow) that don't make sense as an artistic choice, but are common in auto color reduction because the computer doesn't know how to reduce a line so it jumps back and forth. The pic was obviously traced, and it may not have been even entirely pixelled. I'm not one for witch hunts, but come on, Katakus. Are you really going to keep pushing the subject and pretend it's not any of these things?

Like I said, there's a lot to be learned in a place like this. And open praise is generally worthless. Think of this forum as a boot camp. You don't cry at boot camp, you focus and improve. Don't like boot camp? Head elsewhere. This isn't your forum.

- Adam

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #22 on: July 18, 2006, 04:05:29 pm
i kinda did a process on how your image could have been achieved katakus. along with a 50 percent alpha layer image showing that it was traced..

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #23 on: July 18, 2006, 04:53:27 pm
The fact that this board allows growth for professionals and the talented doesn't mean it should leave all the hobbyists/n00bs where they are.

I am not pro, I am a hobbyist. There's a vast difference between someone who is new and his art isn't very good (whom generally have been helped in this forum) and someone out to actively decieve. I don't know what your agenda is here, Lick, but you're off the mark as far as facts go: Once someone misuses the forum as Katakus did, you get harshly reminded what this forum is about, you get warned to not do it again, and you get watched. You do it a few more times and you get banned. This may seem unfair to you, oh what cruel mods can be, but I think it's unfair to take advantage of the users of pixelation by decieving them. Open dialogue about this things is nice and illuminating, but also what needs to be done will get done, in the end.

Rippers will never be welcome in pixelopolis in any way. They need not sign up, they need not try to test our eyes at spotting their duplicity, and they need not cry about being found out after.

Offline Katakus

• Oops
    • View Profile
    • Katakus Forums

Reply #24 on: July 18, 2006, 04:57:46 pm
Now these are some usefull comments. Thank you. I guess I won't have to leave this forum after all.

I guess some people just will never believe that I did not trace the image, and I can see how you would get the idea. I could never blame someone of doing such a thing, how can someone have pride in just changing the colours of an image?

I wasn't really want people to praise the image I did want some criticism too, but not accusin me of tracing an image. :-\

I'll edit the image later to clean it up a bit.

if you dont want to be accused, show your progress from the start to the end, and any reference. by us seeing the progress we can tell that its pixeled.
I guess I will have to from now on at this forum. Maybe to prove to everyone who doesn't believe that I drew it, I will redraw it from scratch showing my progress. Does that sound good?
« Last Edit: July 18, 2006, 05:02:52 pm by Katakus »
--------------------

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #25 on: July 18, 2006, 05:07:53 pm
you dont really have to prove yourself like that. Just do a new image perhaps something completely different and maybe not even from reference, just out of your head, and post a little progress with that.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Pawige

• View Profile
    • The Noisy Sanctum

Reply #26 on: July 18, 2006, 05:10:23 pm
Katakus, I think your best thing to do now would be to post some completely original art. If you show your actual skill level everyone will be a lot more likely to believe you in a situation like this. Remeber that it's really impossible for us to tell if you're good at recreating things by eye, or are just a "cheater." There have been some rather bald-faced liars around here before, so I think many people are a bit jaded.

Offline Katakus

• Oops
    • View Profile
    • Katakus Forums

Reply #27 on: July 18, 2006, 05:18:06 pm
@ptoing
Okay.

@Pawige
Well I posted a topic with my avatar and I also posted a strange Mario which I drew. I'll post some more when I get back to my house.

i kinda did a process on how your image could have been achieved katakus. along with a 50 percent alpha layer image showing that it was traced..
That made my image look like it was definatly traced. lol. I swear thoug, that I didn't.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2006, 05:32:52 pm by Katakus »
--------------------

Offline Lick

• Formerly known as JointJunkie! ;)
    • View Profile
    • yup

Reply #28 on: July 18, 2006, 10:54:10 pm
@ CrumbBread: About the incorrectly spelled word, yeah I'm sorry I was in a hurry, I just came back from 14 hours of Rotterdam and zoo! ;)

@ Ryumaru: That's a great advice. Great, as in how disappointingly it is, that it will be necessary at our forum to prevent harshness [a form of flaming in my eyes].

@ Adam: In my opinion, one should indeed receive proper criticism, no doubt. One should also receive a proper explanation of the rules of this forum, if he or she isn't aware. I agree! But the way it's acted out (by a mod !), bothers me. It could've been a bit nicer.. Like how you treat a guest when he is visiting your home for the first time. That way of nice.
Oh, and I don't think this is intended as bootcamp (with yelling officers) at all? You probably need to contact one of the founders of Pixelation/Pixelopolis to make sure, but I do not think it was EVER a forum of strict teachings and harsh takedowns. If you can tell me this with certainty then I will shut up.

@ptoing: The OP didn't even really ask for praise in the first place (IIRC he only posted it in this thread), but he did not expect harshness either, AT ALL. A bad surprise, in my opinion. Silly that that was his first topic here, too.

@ Helm: I think I should rephrase. What I meant by hobbyists was people who like to look around and post some simple things perhaps, but don't take pixeling as serious as the other group does. The other group studies the greatness of this art and how to use different techniques to achieve different outcomes. That's the group (what a meant with "professiona") I think you belong to. But the thing I want to say is that the latter is not the ONLY group that is allowed to participate in this forum. So as the forum rules apply to both groups, the first group should be treated the same as the last, for they are equal and by no means will the "professional" group have the rights to take down the (what I called) "hobbyists" group.
I agree that rippers are a bad thing and aren't supposed to stay ripping in long term. But if one is not aware, then the punishment is at least not as heavy. [That is how the gouverment laws are, in real life.]
And if you suspect (never assume) he IS aware, then ask him! And if he replies with a denial, then trust him! WHAT can possibly be lost if you act like that? [a few kb of webspace, huh?] If he continues to be suspicious, then it's better to ADVICE him in a PM or e-mail to start learning. No need for public takedowns.

Katakus, I am very glad that you decided to stay. As I don't think my opinion will penetrate to many, please endure the harsh comments in the future!

« Last Edit: July 18, 2006, 11:01:19 pm by Lick »
my ds homebrew blog! - contact me if you're interested to work with me on a ds game.

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #29 on: July 18, 2006, 11:04:43 pm

@ Ryumaru: That's a great advice. Great, as in how disappointingly it is, that it will be necessary at our forum to prevent harshness [a form of flaming in my eyes].

if you went and climbed a mountain nobody ever heard of, then went back to your hometown trying to tell people about it. if you didnt have proof you climbed it, couldnt it all just be a load of bs?
btw, once your skills are high enough, we will be able to tell its pixel art and you wont have to show your process.