AuthorTopic: I can't believe how rude this forum can be...  (Read 23877 times)

Offline Katakus

• Oops
    • View Profile
    • Katakus Forums

I can't believe how rude this forum can be...

on: July 17, 2006, 02:42:26 pm
All I wanted to do was post one of my creations that I thought was good. I wanted to get some helpful feedback or some "Good job!"s but no, I was accused of "tracing an image", laughed at and the main reason that makes me mad is that not one person believed that I drew it.

And after all of this happening to me, I am the one who gets warned. Yes, that makes tons of sense to me. Thanks a lot you most polite and friendly community.

This is what I actually did if you were wondering:
What I did was I tried my hardest to draw the image just by looking at the picture and then trying to make my drawing exactly the same. It turned out fairly good like that, but I wanted it to be better; so I pasted in the actual image beside my replica and touched it up a bit, making sure all of the facial features were in the correct spots and making the shape of the hair and face was the hardest part. It still is a bit messy but it is still good. I guess you can see now why it took me so long to make.

On other forums, the only comments which I received were, "Great job!" or "That's terrific, keep up the good work!"

All I am asking for is an apology.
--------------------

Offline GOODNIGHTdestroyer

• Unf Unf.
    • View Profile

Re: I can't believe how rude this forum can be...

Reply #1 on: July 17, 2006, 03:35:21 pm
They're not going to apologize because they know you traced it. They've seen all too many times before, and they know what it looks like when it happens. So take it as it is, and move on. It's not like they are punishing you.
And I am finally seeing that you were the one worth eating.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #2 on: July 17, 2006, 03:57:03 pm
If there's an apology in order, it's by you. If you don't like how we handle things here, go to the other forums. You will NOT get praise for ripping here. Reconsider your usage of the forum.

Offline CrumbBread

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: July 17, 2006, 04:03:45 pm
Do you *want* all of the comments you recieve to be "Good job!"? Or would you rather have useful criticism? You will notice that there are some useful non-accusatory suggestions in the Mona Lisa thread, if you go back and look for them. I believe you if you say you did not trace it -- but can you see how traced it looks? (Probably you wouldn't notice unless you have seen lots of traced work, so it is understandable)

You don't need an apology, you need to edit your pixel work so it isn't so scratchy and trace-ish. Try to improve instead of taking offense.

I will grant you that people here can be the teensiest bit bloodthirsty, and sometimes they make some unfounded accusations. Do try to understand where they're coming from: they don't want the forum overrun by people faking work.

I believe it took you three hours, too -- I am as slow as you are ^_^ But your pic is still in the "rough lineart" stage. I suggest you try to polish it up some more.

I don't think you did anything wrong (if the pic is untraced).

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Reply #4 on: July 17, 2006, 04:07:29 pm
Try not to be too defensive Katakus, and look at it from other's point of view.
There's no absolute way of knowing what you did or didn't do, but the resulting image is suggestive of its expressive qualities, and one is it's closely relative likeness. This likeness seems pretty spot on and could be infered as to have been traced.
You may have very well took 3 hours to pixel it, but we only see the final result of your effort and must come to our own conclusions.
If your goal was to create a likeness of the mona, then you succeded. It's not about feeling good and being praised as it is about reaching your goals.
What is your next goal?

Offline AdamTierney

• View Profile
    • Adam's Page

Reply #5 on: July 17, 2006, 04:22:53 pm
Pixelopolis isn't a forum for praise, it's a forum for getting critique (sometimes harsh) in order to improve your skill. You have to check your ego at the door. If you want open praise only, open a Deviantart account.

- Adam

Offline Lick

• Formerly known as JointJunkie! ;)
    • View Profile
    • yup

Reply #6 on: July 17, 2006, 09:40:17 pm
I'm with the OP this time. People like Helm talk way too rude for the average mind. Of course, we are here to criticize one others art. But we aren't here to destroy their confidence and make them leave in fear. On the contrary, as a member of this community you should do your best to provide objective criticism, in a nice way with calm words and make them feel accepted in this forum. For you were accepted first.

Conclusion: fuck harsh people.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2006, 09:44:21 pm by Lick »
my ds homebrew blog! - contact me if you're interested to work with me on a ds game.

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: July 17, 2006, 09:44:02 pm
if i didnt get a harsh entry into pixelopolis, i wouldnt be half as skilled as i am now.

Offline Lick

• Formerly known as JointJunkie! ;)
    • View Profile
    • yup

Reply #8 on: July 17, 2006, 09:48:30 pm
if i didnt get a harsh entry into pixelopolis, i wouldnt be half as skilled as i am now.
Only if you knew this for sure.. But you don't. You don't know how it would've turned out if the first reply WASN'T harsh. Perhaps you'd be even more excited to improve yourself. But that's speculating, just like what you're doing.

Objective criticism doesn't always come with harsh assumptions.
my ds homebrew blog! - contact me if you're interested to work with me on a ds game.

Offline pixelblink

• View Profile
    • pixeljoint

Reply #9 on: July 18, 2006, 02:32:19 am
I can't believe it's not butter!

Seriously though, I didn't find the accusations to be harsh in any way whatsoever. Experienced pixellers know the difference of what is traced/edited/whatever to something original and has actual time spent on.

You won't find any difference over at the PJ forums either. Take what you've learned and try something new. OR, bitch and complain and do nothing else ever again because you cry too much.

Was that too harsh? oops
...meh