AuthorTopic: Zooming of images  (Read 3271 times)

Offline Gamer36

• Just a noob.
    • View Profile
    • Gamer36 Wordpress

Zooming of images

on: November 25, 2013, 04:21:47 am
Dear Pixelation (more specifically, whoever handles the coding of this website),

I recently started being active again on these forums, and I must say, it is a wonderful place. I love the feature that we can just click on an image to zoom in. But, for many people using many browsers, the zoom function could be a lot better. Many browsers use smoothing algorithms to make large photos look good when zoomed in, and, for the most part, it improves their look when zoomed in. When you are dealing with pixel art, however, this is not so. The blurred lines between pixel make it not only unsightly to look at photos zoomed it, but hard to critique it accurately. One fix to this problem is to use a browser that doesn't do this (I have tested, and I know for sure that Firefox 25.0.1 doesn't use these algorithms), but this is an annoyance, as many people prefer other browsers that they are used to. Luckily, there is a solution. I did a quick Google search, and found this link to a Yahoo Answers type site http://superuser.com/questions/530317/how-to-prevent-chrome-from-blurring-small-images-when-zoomed-in that explains how to fix this with CSS. The only reason I see for not implementing this is if you do not have access to the CSS. Pixelation runs on Simple Machines Forums, I gather, from the footer. I have no idea about how this works, if it is a complete forum management system, website and all, or simply a database for storing posts. If you do have access to the CSS, and can implement this, I'm sure many members will appreciate it.

-Gamer36
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 04:24:41 am by Gamer36 »
Pixel Art, what (mostly) all of us are here for.

Offline Crow

• Technicanimal
    • View Profile

Re: Zooming of images

Reply #1 on: November 25, 2013, 07:12:08 am
You can't get rid of interpolation in Webkit using CSS. I'd have to implement a workaround, zooming the images using HTML5 and a canvas. I'll most likely do that later.
Discord: Ennea#9999

Offline yrizoud

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: November 25, 2013, 10:57:24 am
I know for sure that Firefox 25.0.1 doesn't use these algorithms
It does. Pixelation already has to use a Firefox-specific CSS option to avoid it.
In fact Pixelation already implements all the CSS hacks from your link - but Chrome STILL hasn't implemented the one they defined.
Your only option is a Chrome extension recently coded by Yanrishatum :
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/pixezoom-pixel-perfect-zo/hapihddkcfbbcbnncecmoojbmcefgndg
http://www.pixeljoint.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=17344

Offline Gamer36

• Just a noob.
    • View Profile
    • Gamer36 Wordpress

Reply #3 on: November 25, 2013, 01:23:24 pm
Thank you for the replies both of you. Oh well, I guess we must wait. That extension that you linked to is very helpful though.
Pixel Art, what (mostly) all of us are here for.