AuthorTopic: Suitable Trinkets for the World-traveling Pixel Artist  (Read 18110 times)

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Re: Suitable Trinkets for the World-traveling Pixel Artist

Reply #40 on: April 05, 2014, 03:27:50 pm
thanks Surt I'll try Grafx2 next time. I did try running ggale on wine, I remember it was clunky because I couldnt do shortcuts, oh wait that was on MAC...but I'm pretty sure wine on mac was a lot more convenient than mac on linux :p it's tiresome how usability is the exception on linux...here's hoping SteamOS starts to change that.

OH  I forgot the part of the last post where I actually contributed to the topic :p

check frenden's tablet reviews
http://frenden.com/tagged/review

he has the perspective that there are worthy competitors to Wacom, and he's a guy who sells brushes he made himself so I think he would be aware of tablet quality...hope it can be of use for whenever you replace your cintiq Vagrant
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 03:56:45 pm by Conceit »

Offline Kasumi

• View Profile

Reply #41 on: April 05, 2014, 04:27:29 pm
There's also Aseprite for Linux. One thing is that you cannot resize the window on it while the program is running unless you build it yourself. You can change the ~/.asepriterc so it boots larger, but again it can't be changed while running. Or so I've been told. I... never bothered using a native build, I just used it through wine the few times I messed with Linux. Standard other warning: For whatever reason the dev likes it to use 2x2 pixels by default. To change this, open ~/.asepriterc and change ScreenScale = 2 to ScreenScale = 1.

Anyway, Aseprite's my main software regardless, I like it better than Graphics Gale and everything else I've tried. I dig the simple, single window interface. Supports animation and is free even if you're saving gifs. But of course... your mileage may vary, because basically no one I've recommended it to likes it enough to use.  :)

(Reason for the window trouble: It uses a modified Allegro library that allows window resizing, but for some reason the build you'd get if you searched for it in say... Linux Mint's software manager is built with standard allegro.)
I make actual NES games. Thus, I'm the unofficial forum dealer of too much information about the NES

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #42 on: April 06, 2014, 01:28:06 am
Vagrant, try bending the cord near the pc plug and seeing if the companion charges while its kept bent. This has fixed the problem pretty much entirely for me, its totally a cord issue. Once you find the sweet spot things should go well. Still need to get a new cord shipped to me.

edit: lol, yeah its totally the cord. bent the cord while it wasnt fully charged, says its been plugged in not charging for a few hours but its stayed at the same % while doing client work in photoshop for the past few hours on high performance.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 06:28:19 am by Atnas »

Offline Vagrant

• At your service.
    • @VagrantPixels
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/43310.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #43 on: April 06, 2014, 07:33:09 am
Ah, alright. I will try.

How exactly do you bend it? Pictures?

I went yesterday to several stores looking for some generic chargers, but none of them are in the same size as the Cintiq's charger.

My machine has been a brick for a few days now. Plugging the charger in won't even turn on the red light anymore. 
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 07:48:35 am by Vagrant »