AuthorTopic: son of rlasicson// first time  (Read 8709 times)

Offline 7up

• View Profile
    • www.korovision.com

son of rlasicson// first time

on: August 26, 2005, 01:07:12 am
hiyer ive not got much expericence at all with pixeling. i done some helping graphics for a couple of copmuter games called swash buckel ur seatbelt and re: get to schol on time.

ive started workign on a new game called son of rlasicson: waking up to say good bye and its aobut a manequin thats dresed up as a rat and is alive. heres some animations that ive done so far and would be nice to hear from you what your opinions. the bigest trouble im having as pointed out by sumer school is that i m not good at choosing colours and hopefuly as i learn that wil get beter??

this is normal walking i gues. il make a diferent walking animation for when hes more like a manequin so its more stiff etc.

this is liek on doom wher u hava  face at the botom or somethign. i havent realy figrued out what im doing this is al for practice basicaly.

thanss!

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Re: son of rlasicson// first time

Reply #1 on: August 26, 2005, 01:38:39 am
Hello.

Do you mind if I ask why the manequin has a green rat head? I think It'd make more sense if he were either just a manequin or just a rat...but oh well, it's your game.
The main things I see are your messy lines, inconsistent lightsources, and odd leg movement. The sleeves vary in length from frame to frame, and the walk looks really unbalanced, Like the guy is constantly in a half-crouch. The body rotation is good, but with the shading, it looks like he's walking under a flickering light.
As you said, you need to work on color choosery.
Honestly, this isn't bad for a beginner.

Offline Crazy Asian Gamer

• Guess who follows trends?
    • View Profile
    • CAG's NONEXISTANT Page... of DOOM

Reply #2 on: August 26, 2005, 02:51:09 am
Use the dithering to define form.
Keep the light consistent.
Give him hands(? optional).

Very smooth animation though. He looks very laid back.

...Hi guys again. I've been hiding out in a corner here. I hadn't done pixel art in weeks now.  :-\ So my comments don't have the absolute highest authority here.

Offline 7up

• View Profile
    • www.korovision.com

Reply #3 on: August 26, 2005, 09:25:27 pm
thanks a lot for the replies its very helpful. when i get some time to work again on it ill put it here again.

ahh yea hes a manequin dresed as a rat because i thoguht it woudl be more interesting then just a manequin. the game is going to be kind of stupid liek that so it probaly wont be as awkward seemin in the end.

Offline Darion

• View Profile
    • Portfolio bitch

Reply #4 on: August 27, 2005, 03:27:26 am
You are at summer school making sprites?

Anyway, I actually think its cool. I can't beileve you took the time to animate him, that shows you really want to do this, which is cool. I saw someone suggest dithering: I wouldn't don't do that. If you are, I would only dither the head, since its large enough to make a positive difference(maybe).

If you are going to animate, don't draw one complete frame at a time. You have to work with sketches. I'm only telling you this, because thats what it looks like you did. You seem to be quite diligent in your work, which is not common in newcomers, so keep at it.
@darionmccoy

Offline 7up

• View Profile
    • www.korovision.com

Reply #5 on: August 28, 2005, 01:29:35 pm
ohh thankss. i meant sumer school as in http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?action=profile;u=50

hah sory for the miscommunication.
i tried reducing the amount of colours to see what it looked liek, i dont realy think its that much beter but if u wanted to see.

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #6 on: August 28, 2005, 04:50:49 pm
Actually, I do think that's better.
Hey - Um, It has a bunch of lines and dots on its face. What are they and which one's the eye?
Your lines are still way messy.
Would you mind if I did an edit to show you what I'd change?

Offline 7up

• View Profile
    • www.korovision.com

Reply #7 on: August 28, 2005, 05:05:52 pm
no of course not! please edit if you want to help i'd be grateful. hes suposed to have quite a ugly blank face so he has a realy small eye at the top also the lines and stuf is to make his face look lumpy like ridges and that. and also a big roundish lump thasta  cheekbone.

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #8 on: August 28, 2005, 07:56:00 pm

Huzzah!

I added some texture to the face, and tried to balance out his posture. He's a manequin, so I thought he should have some decent clothes, ya know?
I didn't really know what that thing on the back of his head was, so I just w/e'd it. Lowered his eye and biggened it, and moved his mouth. Cleaned up the lines and sel-outed. Honestly, I'm not the best color chooser either, but I tried desaturating and adding blue to the shadows.. It really doesn't look too good on a white BG, so...

Yaiee! they got .jpg'd. Oh well, I'm sure you can see what I changed anyway. I hope I helped you. I'll see if I can get them un-.jpg'd in the meantime.

Offline 7up

• View Profile
    • www.korovision.com

Reply #9 on: August 28, 2005, 08:21:53 pm
ah wow thast loads nicer ahah. thanks a lot i'll definitley go back and use ti to improve mine. the texture and stuff is realy nice especially  ;)