AuthorTopic: [WIP] Platform Terrain Set and Mockup C+C Request  (Read 3467 times)

Offline Johasu

• @johasu232
    • Johasu232
    • View Profile

[WIP] Platform Terrain Set and Mockup C+C Request

on: November 22, 2013, 10:54:15 pm
A project I have been working on some to hone my pixeling skills.  This is a tile set for a sort of platformer area.  Including both a mockup and the actual tileset as it is so far.  I'm looking for some advice, input, criticism, and/or feedback on the tile set as a whole and individual pieces therein.
To be clear on a few things to start with.  I built this on 64x64 size tiles.  (Not sure why/I just started pixeling away and that was how I ended up breaking it into segments.)  I am aware that there ARE a few areas of incompleteness on the tile set to complete every possible thing you might need. [For example: conjunctions with the drop through floors and various wall segments and a more complete set of water tiles.]
First the Mockup:

The Tileset for a closer look:

It's definitely a work in progress at this point and I have left a few things sort of messy out of curiosity. I have questions I would like to ask those with keener eyes, heavier experience, and sharper skills.
1) I have a darker tone in the top surface of the floor.  I used it to attempt to show deeper cracks between the rock.  Would it look better without this darker coloring?
2) My background?  Is it too noisy?  Does it clash blend too well with foreground tiles?
3) The forefront/visible edges of the walls are an intermingling of softer cracks and deeper outlined division of the stones.  Which looks better?  The slope for example has a lot sharper contrast division between stones than the flat floor.
4) The vines.  I had a comment that they appear beveled with the rapid shift form highlight to shade.  What can I do to fix this?  Two shades?
5) Is there anything glaringly apparent that is badly done that I am unaware of at this point?
6) I worked with an odd sort of lighting on the top level of the ground, where I tried to highlight the foreground and even the furthest background of the stones while leaving the middle ground where the sprite walks with a bit of a solid darker tone.  Is this just messy or does it look good.  I bounce between opinions on it myself.

Basically I want an overall critique of the entire set.  But any part or piece that anyone feels like rippin into please do.  I am in this primarily for the practice and development of my skills and any growth I can squeeze out of it is fantastic as far as I am concerned. After critique more on the tiles than the sprite, but comments on that are welcome too :)
Fire away boys and girls. I am looking forward to making this thing glisten!   :lol:
Gallery:  http://johasu.deviantart.com/gallery/
Twitter:  @johasu232

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP] Platform Terrain Set and Mockup C+C Request

Reply #1 on: November 24, 2013, 10:32:09 pm
land of coco pops  :D
i think its a nice start with attractive colours.
im viewing on phone so hard to comment on pixel level but i think u can explore some alternativr rendering for rocks.
also u can suggest texture instead of being so literal about it.
for example along the top of the platform, the middle where he stands could have much more subtle lines fading into it, with stronger cracks and stuff near the edges.
u could easily add some subtle showdy indents too.

its definitely too sudden how the rock just instantly turns into dark void, making ur grid way too obvious.

maybe you should increase the size of rocks in the background coz atm theyre a bit noisy and also just too similar to foreground tiles.
gotta run now...

Offline Johasu

• @johasu232
    • Johasu232
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: November 25, 2013, 04:22:04 pm
:)  I had a momentary urge to recolor my water into milk for fun.

The tile set is quite large and experimenting with each asset can be very time consuming.  So I haven't had time to address all of your pointers.  I did spend some time working on the background and tried a few things.

1) I tried dimming down the stones to make them seem further recessed and darker.  This attempt was more at showing only the highlights and insinuating the shape of the stones more than anything else.  I was sort of worrying that the stones were looking a bit like beans for a while but I think it improved some as I dimmed it more.

2)  This was my initial attempt at darkening the stones.  I accomplished what I was going for, but ultimately felt like it wasn't far enough perhaps.  The shadows and the highlights at this point had almost too much contrast division and it made them seem very much popping out--like bubbles.

3) I HAVE experimented with larger stones.  This version was a prior attempt that I went back and finished coloring after you mentioned larger stones.  I had basically come to the same conclusion before posting that maybe the background was too noisy and tried to blend the stones I had together.  This created, to me, a sort of jigsaw puzzle like background that was strange in the shaping enough that it distracted my eyes from the more important elements that existed on the screen.

4) After tinkering for a few minutes trying to decide how I wanted to go about experimenting with new larger stones, I simply 2x scaled my existing stone tile.  Honestly, if I were to go about redrawing new stones [larger] they would come out something very similar to this anyway, so why not?

Do any of these come closer to reaching a less noisy background that feels good?  I look for references of backgrounds of this style and many of them seem to have very evident repeating patterns.  That was a major reason I opted for smaller stones.  It felt easier to hide the grid with smaller stones that intermingled more.  The larger stones have much more recognizable shapes and patterns.

Thank you for the comment.  Just to address the other things quickly before I have an edit ready, I have been strongly considering filling in the void with more stone.  At least in a thicker pattern.  Especially after doing the drop through floor, I really felt the need to bring a more visible division between the two.  I will get on that, but it will take some time to fill all of my tile pieces in, so that might be a few days.

The surface level has been giving me trouble and I bounce between feeling like it looks good and feeling like it's too messy.  I tried a few things in an attempt to go for what you suggested, but I guess I'm not skilled enough to just draw it without some kind of idea of what to go for. Im searching for references of things done similarly, but can't find many platformers that have used a sort of floor perspective like this(as of yet).  [This is my next target area on revision though.]

Thanks again for the pointers.  :lol:
Gallery:  http://johasu.deviantart.com/gallery/
Twitter:  @johasu232

Offline Daimoth

• I Am Tooth
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: December 01, 2013, 11:44:27 pm
I'd use less contrast in your background rocks.

Offline YellowLime

• View Profile
    • Sour Pixels

Reply #4 on: December 06, 2013, 01:09:17 pm
I second what Daimoth said, the first pictures seemed far too busy to me.

I'd say, go with the 3rd or 4th options (obviously refine the 4th one if you're gonna use it) and maybe lower contrast a bit

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: December 06, 2013, 02:52:05 pm
id say spend more time trying different approaches to drawning rocks for the background.
their shapes, regluar depthed curved bevels and smooth rendering is not helping them  read as natural rocks.
maybe try having some solid areas of shadowy darkness with bits of rock protuding into the light and casting their own shadows.
trawling through my old posts might give u some ideas.