AuthorTopic: How to make pixelated text that looks carved in stone?  (Read 7759 times)

Offline theHeretic

• View Profile

Re: How to make pixelated text that looks carved in stone?

Reply #10 on: November 17, 2013, 09:35:01 pm
Ok, so I got text. Now I'm stuck with how to make a decent higher resolution gravestone... (I thought text would be smaller.) Any pixel art tutorial is way to small for this, but actual pictures are to realistic.

Also Is their any way to search google images by maximium size? (Not for this specifically, but I had a use for it a while ago that I forgot about and figured this would be a good place to ask.)

Offline tcaud

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: November 18, 2013, 12:10:27 am
:n:

There are patterns, yes. In order to understand what they mean and how they are structured, so that you can apply them sensibly, you have to grasp drawing -- the 'planes' and 'value' aspects of it, at a minimum.

Well I grasp them and I don't use any of your technique.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #12 on: November 18, 2013, 02:28:55 am
tcaud, stop posting stuff that does not actually help the discussion. Don't even reply to this. Thanks.

theHeretic: It would be helpful if you posted your actual progress. That would give us an idea of where you are atm and give specific crits according to that knowledge. Post some images of yours in here and I'll move the thread to Pixel Art.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline theHeretic

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: November 18, 2013, 04:01:18 am
I'm not going to have much time to work on it tomorrow and its due in a couple days, so I just ended up using realistic pictures. The text I used looks awesome with it (It actually looks like it is carved into it.) but I just put a gravestone up.

I haven't really done anything beyond recoloring things. (I think I lost those few images when my computer died.)

However if you know beginners tutorials to pixel art it would be interesting, some of the high resolution pixel art blows my mind. Low resolution looks really easy, but much more difficult to make a new thing of. Whoever made the first one of a concept is awesome, but once I see a pixel shape its fairly obvious.

EDIT: Like for example I just had inspiration to create something and I broke it down into a 10x10/20x20/30x30 stone tile, similar tile in wood, and somehow make a stone tile that appears higher when placed next to stone. However I don't even know how to start the first two, other then grey/dark brown.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 01:47:38 pm by theHeretic »

Offline tcaud

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: November 18, 2013, 02:20:37 pm
tcaud, stop posting stuff that does not actually help the discussion. Don't even reply to this. Thanks.

theHeretic: It would be helpful if you posted your actual progress. That would give us an idea of where you are atm and give specific crits according to that knowledge. Post some images of yours in here and I'll move the thread to Pixel Art.

This place needs a new mod. ptoing is I think the main thing holding back its growth. He's just a resident asshole who doesn't do art for a living and yet lectures other people on how to do art. He resists all criticism. I'm actually a psychology major with a specialty in organizational psychology. According to my research, programmer types may develop expertise in the visual arts, but are fundamentally argumentative and, in extreme cases, are obsessed with status and power (it's a carryover from the teamwork, and the fundamental belief that everything and everyone is a program/can be programmed).

theHeretic: the info you're looking for is on PixelJoint. Don't be discouraged by a person who promotes frustration in others for fun. If you don't have good coordination, you won't be able to draw well (it's the same for me), but don't let that discourage you from zooming in your computer screen and plotting pixels with your mouse. :P

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #15 on: November 18, 2013, 08:40:49 pm
Oh, I don't do art for a living? That is new to me. What am I doing to hold back this place? Oh wait, I don't give a fuck what you think because you have proven that you can not distinguish your opinion on subjective issues from fact. Also, goodbye for a year.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35207.htm
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Reply #16 on: November 18, 2013, 10:40:28 pm
Wow, that was kinda random.
I think it's pretty clear who the actual resident asshole is was..

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #17 on: November 18, 2013, 11:34:06 pm
Oh well, let's not get derailed from the topic, please.

Offline Corinthian Baby

• Meditating Pixel Placement
    • View Profile

Reply #18 on: November 18, 2013, 11:52:48 pm
@TheHeretic:
Study, study, study.

Loook at Helm's piece from Dungeon Dashers, one of the best examples of the style you're after that I can think of:
http://www.pixeljoint.com/pixelart/76622.htm

Offline theHeretic

• View Profile

Reply #19 on: November 19, 2013, 03:36:28 pm
Ok, i found this: http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/pixel-art-tutorials/
But the one for textures which I was going to look at is broken. Anyone know a similar one that isn't broken?