AuthorTopic: How to make pixelated text that looks carved in stone?  (Read 7859 times)

Offline theHeretic

• View Profile

How to make pixelated text that looks carved in stone?

on: November 16, 2013, 01:45:11 am
So I've googled this a bit and didn't find anything pixelated. (google ignored the word pixelated.) and asked on paint.net forums, but haven't gotten anything. Anyone here know how?

Offline tcaud

• View Profile

Re: How to make pixelated text that looks carved in stone?

Reply #1 on: November 17, 2013, 12:35:56 am
Look at some old game title screens. There were a number of them that did it very well, particularly on the NES and Amiga.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #2 on: November 17, 2013, 12:58:20 am
Or alternatively look at real carved stone examples like on gravestones and so on. Being able to translate/stylise things from reference is a key skill to learn for doing any kind of visual art.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline theHeretic

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: November 17, 2013, 03:50:26 am
Look at some old game title screens. There were a number of them that did it very well, particularly on the NES and Amiga.
Examples? I've started looking for games that have text on gravestones/stone, but haven't found any yet by asking people.
Or alternatively look at real carved stone examples like on gravestones and so on. Being able to translate/stylise things from reference is a key skill to learn for doing any kind of visual art.
I'm not good at that, if you can give me any tips for how to do this I can try though.

Offline r1k

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: November 17, 2013, 04:25:25 am
ya I would like to know some game title screen examples too.  I was looking for some a couple months ago, and even though I feel like Ive seen a bunch like that I couldnt find any.

Offline tcaud

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: November 17, 2013, 11:11:51 am
from VGMuseum:

So based on these, I think the technique is a rough, deep outline, often with sharp antialiasing around the edges.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 01:51:32 pm by tcaud »

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #6 on: November 17, 2013, 05:20:57 pm
I'm not good at that, if you can give me any tips for how to do this I can try though.

Practise drawing. "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain" is a good book to get when you start out learning to draw.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline theHeretic

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: November 17, 2013, 05:31:02 pm
Thanks for the pictures tcaud.
ptong: Oh, you mean actual drawing. I draw sometimes, but mostly in straight lines. Also this is a project for school that I am going to do with a computer because if I want to draw it I have to get a bigger piece of paper and I didn't bring one of those home this weekend.

EDIT: I like your signature ptong.

Offline tcaud

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: November 17, 2013, 07:42:32 pm
Don't bother drawing. Look for shapes and patterns. It's mostly an issue of lighting and shading.

Offline Ai

• finti
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/profile.asp?id=1996
    • finticemo
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: November 17, 2013, 09:25:51 pm
:n:

There are patterns, yes. In order to understand what they mean and how they are structured, so that you can apply them sensibly, you have to grasp drawing -- the 'planes' and 'value' aspects of it, at a minimum.
If you insist on being pessimistic about your own abilities, consider also being pessimistic about the accuracy of that pessimistic judgement.