AuthorTopic: Tiles C&C  (Read 35354 times)

Offline Luke

• View Profile

Re: Tiles C&C

Reply #70 on: March 24, 2015, 12:44:10 am
Hello again,

ts really interesting how u fade to grey in the middle of the cobblestone.
This was honestly done out of desperation, to try and make the tiles look passable.  I've removed it in my latest edit.

IMO consider keeping cobblestone horizontal as it is a horizontal plane.
This makes a lot of sense, I hadn't thought of it this way before.  What I had intended to do is use vertical lines for the east-west streets and horizontal lines for the north-south streets.  This is how it would actually be done in reality.  Once I get done with the north-south streets I'll see if the whole thing looks better with horizontal lines.

R u going to have any vegetation?
The only vegetation I had really considered is a basic grass tile.  Trees would be nice, although I'm not ambitious enough to attempt one yet.

barnacle references
Thanks a lot.  I love the colour of that green moss and will definitely give it a try when I get a chance.

Primarily the horizontal plane. Compared to the doors, the wooden texture on the balcony and the overall scale, maybe the floorboards are a bit wide as well? This contributes to the cute / fun vibe you mention, and the fact that the framework on the docks looks kind of like it was cut from a single, massive piece of wood. There's no point where the big wooden beams connect and intersect on the horizontal plane.
Thanks for the advice. I definitely intend to revisit the dock's horizontal plane.

I've really struggled with these cobble tiles.  Think its improving marginally though.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 04:42:53 am by Luke »

Offline Luke

• View Profile

Reply #71 on: March 26, 2015, 08:14:46 pm
Alright, went back to my original cobble tile and just edited it slightly.
Turned down the brightness and saturation on the top of the dock tiles.
Added some curb tiles around the road.

Offline Luke

• View Profile

Reply #72 on: March 28, 2015, 11:27:45 pm
More C&C would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Luke

• View Profile

Reply #73 on: April 04, 2015, 08:14:03 pm
Would love some more general C&C.
Also considering adding some light texture to the grass tiles.  I will at least be adding texture to the front facing grass tile where it borders the stone sidewalk sort of tiles.  As you can see I've already started playing around with some texture in this area and it isn't going too well.  So any guidance regarding this sort of thing would be very much appreciated as well.

Offline cels

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/32715.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #74 on: April 04, 2015, 09:30:37 pm
Have you considered stronger borders on the sides of buildings to separate them from the background? Not necessarily a 2 px line (though it's certainly worth considering) but just some sort of finish to the tiles that mark the edge of a building. My major criticism right now is flatness. Which is hard to combat with this sort of tilework, I know.

I also think it's kind of weird how some places have shadows (e.g. windows and doors), while the buildings and walls do not cast any shadows. It's kind of hard to read, at a glance, whether the grass is flat or sloped.

In my experience, the best way is to help other people with C&C in their threads. Then they're grateful to you and check out your thread more often.

Offline Cheetah

• View Profile

Reply #75 on: April 05, 2015, 01:28:37 am
What is your end goal? It is such a large piece, where are you going with it? At this point you have a lot of great detail on the buildings, but the sidewalks/streets/dock are just so large and wide open that even though they are well pixeled and detailed they look bland.

I think you might need to take a break from polishing what you have and start adding new assets. Start filling the streets with objects and maybe people eventually. After you have developed some more skills and filled up the environment more maybe then you might see ways of improving what you have now. The alternative would be calling this done for now and moving on to another piece.

Offline Luke

• View Profile

Reply #76 on: April 05, 2015, 04:53:08 am
have you considered stronger borders on the sides of buildings to separate them from the background
Hadn't really considered it, no.  Maybe I will give it a second look, I like what you've done it the edit.  Thanks for that.

I also think it's kind of weird how some places have shadows (e.g. windows and doors), while the buildings and walls do not cast any shadows.
I am planing to use these tiles in a game, eventually, god willing.  I figure I will add shadows to the larger things with code instead of artwork.  Save myself a lot of work that way.

In my experience, the best way is to help other people with C&C in their threads. Then they're grateful to you and check out your thread more often.
I would like to offer more help but feel as though I am qualified enough to provide guidance to only the very newest of pixelers.

What is your end goal? It is such a large piece, where are you going with it?
This piece is just being used to overhaul my preexisting infrastructure tiles (roads, sidewalks, docks, etc.)  I like working in mock up format.

I think you might need to take a break from polishing what you have and start adding new assets. Start filling the streets with objects and maybe people eventually. After you have developed some more skills and filled up the environment more maybe then you might see ways of improving what you have now.
This is great advice.  I've been struggling with these for too long.  I'll start working on street lamps, creates and barrels.

Offline Luke

• View Profile

Reply #77 on: May 08, 2015, 02:52:54 am
I've begun putting a map together in tiled map editor.  Figured some of you might like to take a look?
Also, still a WIP so C&C is very welcome.   

Offline BlackTerror

• View Profile

Reply #78 on: May 09, 2015, 05:22:35 am
Also considering adding some light texture to the grass tiles.  I will at least be adding texture to the front facing grass tile where it borders the stone sidewalk sort of tiles.  As you can see I've already started playing around with some texture in this area and it isn't going too well.  So any guidance regarding this sort of thing would be very much appreciated as well.

I liked the old duller cobblestone tiles you had before. Generally adding more contrast and separation between the stones makes them pop out really strongly, feel closer to the camera. That's part of the reason they look like walls rather than floors: that sort of detailing can work for walls, which are physically closer to the camera, and are obstacles for the player to path around; but floors you want to fade back and become essentially invisible. Conveying affordances is probably the most important function of game art.

The diagonal bricks in front of the doors do this well. Everything on the upper floor is at a similar lightness. The cobblestones break this.

The lone depressed stones on the upper floors are are way too extreme; I would reduce the shadowing by a whole line-width.

I've begun putting a map together in tiled map editor.  Figured some of you might like to take a look?
Also, still a WIP so C&C is very welcome.   

Your stair shadows here are not nearly stark enough. They should be darker, for one, but also extend nearly the width of the stairs at the midpoint. Think about how the wall would stencil its form onto the surface of the steps.

Also, you need some kind of real architectural corner on your buildings. The brick doesn't really work there, especially not just starkly ending like that.

Offline kriss

• View Profile

Reply #79 on: May 10, 2015, 05:09:33 pm
It's a common mistake with the kind of view : you put sometime shadow, sometimes not.
So it's seams too flat. Same for the wall and the water, stair.

I don't know why but it's really like rpgmaker tile (no offense), but you mix some tile with many textures, close to tile without any.

So this is an exemple , not very perfect but it work well imho: lot of strong shadow, good contrast too and textures for all materials

I know well , shadow is a pain in the ass but it really give some deep to your map

I suppose it's just the floor tile, because you need to add some trees and others stuff.
You know, we focus easily on little problem because lack of details.
I don't like vx tile but i need to tell this mockup isn't  bad : lot of details so we can forgot the lack of some shadows