AuthorTopic: Tiles C&C  (Read 35523 times)

Offline Luke

• View Profile

Re: Tiles C&C

Reply #60 on: March 18, 2015, 02:29:54 am
Well correct me if I'm wrong but I think that approach might cause some tiling issues.  I'm always concerned with keeping things to the smallest possible tile size in order to keep the tiling process as clean and easy as possible.

Using my previous strategy I was able to use 16x16 tiles, and was able to add irregularity and variety by having the different cobbles protrude from the surface of the road to varying degrees.

Offline CelioHogane

• View Profile

Reply #61 on: March 20, 2015, 12:59:21 am
That doesnt look like a floor, it feels more like a wall.

Offline Kazuya Mochu

• ^thx Larwick
    • View Profile
    • my portfolio website

Reply #62 on: March 20, 2015, 12:18:53 pm
yes, the bricks are too far apart for it to look like a floor. Looks more like a brick wall in which the cement separates the bricks a bit more
Image size doesn't matter! It's what you do with your pixels that counts!

Offline Luke

• View Profile

Reply #63 on: March 21, 2015, 07:49:11 pm
So I've done some work on the top of the block wall, and have also begun work on the cobble street.
The street is still pretty preliminary.  Wanted to get some colours together before I added any shading or texture.
Pretty dissatisfied with the way it looks currently.  Figured opening it up to criticism and comments may help point me in the right direction.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 08:03:39 pm by Luke »

Offline cels

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/32715.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #64 on: March 21, 2015, 08:56:55 pm
Whoa, this has come a long way since last I checked.

I would really make the wooden texture on the docks a lot more grey and/or brown. Right now, it looks like it's brand new, it doesn't feel right for this setting. Everything else feels a bit grim and industrial, while the docks look very cute, like a Super Mario style game.

Offline Luke

• View Profile

Reply #65 on: March 22, 2015, 04:00:32 am
Whoa, this has come a long way since last I checked.

I would really make the wooden texture on the docks a lot more grey and/or brown. Right now, it looks like it's brand new, it doesn't feel right for this setting. Everything else feels a bit grim and industrial, while the docks look very cute, like a Super Mario style game.

Hey there,
I'm actually trying to incorporate a bit of a cute/fun vibe into the environment, although you're not the first to say that the dock looks out of place.  When you say the wooden texture should be more grey/brown are you referring to the horizontal plane, vertical plane, or both?

Offline Luke

• View Profile

Reply #66 on: March 23, 2015, 04:39:28 am
Continuing to edit the cobble road tiles.
Think I'm at least headed in the right direction now.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 04:51:42 am by Luke »

Offline CelioHogane

• View Profile

Reply #67 on: March 23, 2015, 01:25:33 pm
Yes, now is totally fixed. (Maybe you should keep the 2 horizontal ones? it looked cool)

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #68 on: March 23, 2015, 11:01:40 pm
Its really interesting how u fade to grey in the middle of the cobblestone.
Its good how its only a few extra colours to get that effect and the gradient isn't even visible on my crappy monitors.
It looks like the colours were changed using tool assistance though which is fine except you've ended up changing all the highlights and shadows on the cobblestone.
This is a waste of colours and also doesn't make much logical sense as it seems like the top surface would normally be the only one to be come worn.
Its barely noticeable but I would change all the cobblestone highlights and shadows to the same colour to keep your count down.

IMO consider keeping cobblestone horizontal as it is a horizontal plane.
This isn't required but seems like normally the way to go where you have a choice which directions the lines would go.
Typcially choosing vertical lines for vertical walls and horizontal for flat ground.
Not sure how to explain it except that its a visual communication thing as if its easier for the viewer to process and accept it with less thinking.

R u going to have any vegetation?
Re your comments about making a cute and fun environment, I thought this was the case but you can still keep that vibe and add texture if you want.
You just need to keep textures subtle enough they don't conflict with surroundings.
Here's some barnacle references in case you like the idea...
http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/z/barnacles-weathered-pier-piling-21990568.jpg
http://en.clipdealer.com/preview/image/003/151/072/previews/1--3151072-Barnacle%20Covered%20Pier.jpg

Offline cels

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/32715.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #69 on: March 23, 2015, 11:02:27 pm
Hey there,
I'm actually trying to incorporate a bit of a cute/fun vibe into the environment, although you're not the first to say that the dock looks out of place.  When you say the wooden texture should be more grey/brown are you referring to the horizontal plane, vertical plane, or both?
Primarily the horizontal plane. Compared to the doors, the wooden texture on the balcony and the overall scale, maybe the floorboards are a bit wide as well? This contributes to the cute / fun vibe you mention, and the fact that the framework on the docks looks kind of like it was cut from a single, massive piece of wood. There's no point where the big wooden beams connect and intersect on the horizontal plane.