AuthorTopic: Tiles C&C  (Read 35335 times)

Offline Luke

• View Profile

Re: Tiles C&C

Reply #50 on: March 16, 2015, 03:45:46 am
I hope this is a step in the right direction.

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #51 on: March 17, 2015, 04:48:58 am
bit of a perspective issue here...

i corrected the pillars on the right

its good to see ur experimenting with brick texture.
i know i keep going on about it i just dont think those bricks should have such curved edges due to the overall size and shape of the highlight and shadow bit.
i also don't think they need to be SO defined from each other.
sometimes less is more as you've discovered with ur lovely red brick texture.
i think u should start looking around at lots of games, paintings, tv shows etc that have bricks in them and keep at it.
and while ur at it, consider some more interesting structures, arches, columns etc. to break up the large sections of brick.

Offline Luke

• View Profile

Reply #52 on: March 17, 2015, 05:55:45 am
Thanks so much for the criticism and advice. 
I made some slight changes in the edit below and will continue to focus on the wall in the coming days.  I can't help but feel like the wall has become a little noisy with the addition of texture.  Maybe my eyes are just used to the low texture look.

Only one question. I cannot figure out the significance of the red square.  I assume it's to demarcate the perspective issue, but I can't see that either.
Thanks again.

Offline yaomon17

• YaomonKS
    • taiya.sun
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/28472.htm
    • yaomon17
    • valedev
    • playvale
    • View Profile
    • portfolio

Reply #53 on: March 17, 2015, 06:07:04 am

Post bottom need to move 3ish pixels up. Right now, if you look at just the bottom where the post meets the water, it looks like half the post extends past the brick southward. If you look at where the post intersects with the dock, the dock is perfectly aligned with the brick meaning that the post, going straight through the dock edge, would be as well.

Offline Luke

• View Profile

Reply #54 on: March 17, 2015, 06:40:50 am
That makes total sense.  Thanks very much.

Edit: Hey also thanks for the edit.  I just realized that you included more there than the perspective correction.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 12:43:31 am by Luke »

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #55 on: March 17, 2015, 08:11:48 am
could be a matter of taste but i think the boardwalk is a bit too bright.
darker wood that looks worn due to exposure seems more fitting to me.
so this would consist of dark browns with light greys and a few shades of varying hues and saturations sketched throughout the texture.

again could be a matter of taste but the diagonal planks don't seem right to me.
although possible, it just doesn't seem likely someone would build a boardwalk like that unless they were trying to be fancy and this looks more like a warehouse area.
seems more like the would run vertically or horizontally, which ever is the shortest distance.
there's also no separation on the edging planks...they just kinda blend into one massive piece of wood.

the highglights on the pillars make them feel too shiny to me. should be more dull and probably have a bit heavier shadow at the top under the boardwalk.
it could be tricky but it wouldbe good if the bottom was a different, darker tone to make it look wet and waterlogged.
u could also add some crusty barnicles and stuff if u wanted to make it look realistic.
above that u could have some dark green bits where its got a bit mossy.

what's ur plan for the dark ground that looks like placeholder?
some kind of 2 colour pavings with gardens and edge trimming perhaps?

Offline Luke

• View Profile

Reply #56 on: March 17, 2015, 02:17:32 pm
Thanks for all the ideas.  I will definitely have a close look at each of them when I next get the chance.
In regards to the place holders on the horizontal planes, if you go to page 3 of this thread, I intend to add the red cobble street and the stone sidewalk surrounding it.  As this is supposed to be a complete overhaul of the old infrastructure tiles, I will be editing them as they're added in.

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #57 on: March 17, 2015, 10:59:08 pm
Thanks for all the ideas.  I will definitely have a close look at each of them when I next get the chance.
In regards to the place holders on the horizontal planes, if you go to page 3 of this thread, I intend to add the red cobble street and the stone sidewalk surrounding it.  As this is supposed to be a complete overhaul of the old infrastructure tiles, I will be editing them as they're added in.
Sorry I suck at reading :lol:

Nice, cobblestone sounds good  :y:
Something like this perhaps.

Offline Luke

• View Profile

Reply #58 on: March 18, 2015, 12:41:39 am
Yes definitely something like that. 
I'll certainly need your guidance again when I get to that stage.

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #59 on: March 18, 2015, 01:59:02 am
First challenge is making random bricks that tile well.
A suggestion to keep it simple is to draw horizontal lines (because its a horizontal surface) first that tile nicely.
Then within these lines u draw random vertical lines to make bricks of varying lengths.
If you want to you can also vary the width of each row (such as I've seen some real castles have) but it doesn't seem necessary for cobblestone in this environment.

I'd say quickly get your lines done before worrying about the material...