AuthorTopic: Tiles C&C  (Read 35345 times)

Offline Luke

• View Profile

Re: Tiles C&C

Reply #40 on: May 23, 2014, 09:26:37 pm
Alright guys, back once again. 

Original: http://i.imgur.com/BBJRhBc.png

Updated: http://i.imgur.com/I47SAZE.png

I think the contrast and saturation should be acceptable now.  Please let me know what you think.
I'd really like some C&C on the water.  How can I make it look more watery?  How can I improve the reflections in the water?
All other C&C welcome as always.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 10:19:20 am by Luke »

Offline Blobber

• View Profile

Reply #41 on: May 24, 2014, 11:41:19 am
I'm new here, but here's my opinion for what it's worth. It looks like a picture you might see on a monitor with the contrast & brightness turned down too low. I think Decroded gave you an edit above which made that part look far better, which you didn't use.

Contrast aside, one of the things I liked about Decroded's edit was it looked more realistic. There are a lot of dead straight lines in your image, almost like someone built the building with a ruler. Even the shadow going down onto the water is a straight line. I've seldom seen water still enough to get a shadow like that.

I guess the other thing is the shadows seem a little strange - sometimes the light source is from the top-left but there are a few walls in there that generate no shadows?

Offline Luke

• View Profile

Reply #42 on: March 02, 2015, 01:26:15 am
Figured I would post this here since this is where the original was posted over a year ago.
Spent the weekend overhauling these tiles.

Still looking for C&C if you guys wouldn't mind.

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #43 on: March 02, 2015, 01:32:14 am
its good to see ur still improving these are starting to look rly nice  :y:
a couple things stand out..
the large base bricks seem a little too rounded in the way they're shaded and the one joining the metal get suddenly cut off.
If I get time later I'll try to edit with another option.

structurally I don't think we'd see such thin pillars of such small bricks as the only thing supporting a multi story building but maybe that's just me overthinkining it  ???

Offline Luke

• View Profile

Reply #44 on: March 02, 2015, 02:09:36 am
Hey thanks.

I actually used one of your previous edits as a reference to try and improve the 'big bricks' this time.

You're right though, they could definitely be more irregular.

About the railing, it gets cut off because of the way it tiles.  But yeah, I'm pretty dissatisfied with the way it turned out.  I might get rid of the whole thing and try a simpler design.
Edit: Oh I think you were referring to the big brick getting cut off.  This is a tiling issue as well : (

In regards to structure, I present to you my reference photograph:
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 02:12:24 am by Luke »

Offline AlcopopStar

• View Profile
    • https://ramheadedgirl.com/folio/

Reply #45 on: March 02, 2015, 06:14:28 am
I think you are overcomplexifying those big bricks.  Your focusing a lot on each individual brick, adding in a lot of defined shading and deep shadows, this might be how the eye would see an individual brick but not how someone looks at a wall, if that makes sense. essentially I think you need to zoom out some and focus on overall texture, as you did with the smaller bricks which btw, are outstanding.

I did a quick and messy edit.

overall i'm loving the progress on this, keep it up!

Offline Luke

• View Profile

Reply #46 on: March 02, 2015, 09:31:33 pm
Thanks so much for the edit!
I'm sure it will come in handy when I get a chance to go over these tiles again.

Offline Luke

• View Profile

Reply #47 on: March 15, 2015, 12:43:47 am
Sorry for double post.  Figured I would post these here as well since they are edits of the tiles I originally posted here ages ago.
You can just ignore the building tiles at the top.  What I've been working on upgrading are the dock and block wall tiles.
I would like some C&C on these things if you guys wouldn't mind.  I have tried to incorporate some of the suggestions and criticism I received regarding the block wall, but am not sure how effective my edit has been.  Any advice is very much appreciated.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 01:00:44 am by Luke »

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #48 on: March 15, 2015, 08:34:33 am
Hey thanks.
I actually used one of your previous edits as a reference to try and improve the 'big bricks' this time.

You're right though, they could definitely be more irregular.

notice on the bricks i edited on the right (ignoring top one) i tried to keep some sharp edges with the odd single pixel rounded one here and there just to vary it?
i feel like ur bricks are still too rounded and shaded like bouncy rubber.

Offline Luke

• View Profile

Reply #49 on: March 15, 2015, 06:42:57 pm
Thanks for the advice although I'm not sure if I understood entirely what you mean.
Anyways, I've added in another brick variant (demarcated by the red pixels on the upper, left most portion of the block wall).  I've tried to add more texture and less round, simple shading, which I think is what you were advising in general.  I think I'll just keep replacing the round, simple shaded blocks with new varieties of blocks like these.  Could you perhaps have a look at this new block variety and let me know if you think I should continue with this approach?  Very much appreciated.