AuthorTopic: Tiles C&C  (Read 35334 times)

Offline Luke

• View Profile

Re: Tiles C&C

Reply #30 on: May 15, 2014, 11:18:04 pm
Okay so I'm hoping the silence means my last post was an improvement.  More than likely you guys are just tired of me.
Anyways I'm going to try to trouble you again for some criticism/help.
I've changed some colours and done a bit of work on the dock/waterfront area.  Wondering if I could get some advice on how to make the water seem more like water.    I'm specifically having some trouble with the wall reflection.  I can't really wrap my mind around how a reflection of an object like that would look from the perspective I'm using.  Any help on anything would be greatly appreciated.

(open image in new tab if you want non-distorted version)

« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 12:08:00 am by Luke »

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35207.htm
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Reply #31 on: May 16, 2014, 12:29:04 am
You're slowly cranking up the contrast, but you need to be more extreme..
It's incredibly easy to get used to low contrast and even raising the contrast slightly might seem like a huge deal, but it's not enough..
You need darker and brighter colors in selective places and you could really brighten up that grass..

Maybe your monitor is has some whacky settings, or you simply need to get your eyes used to higher contrast.
Take the image reference you posted and use the color picker to check those colors..

Try adding some hueshifting as well, like adding more blue to the shadows.

btw, if you want a better software to draw in I'd recommend this: http://pyxeledit.com
You can create a tileset and then build a mockup and any changes you make to the tileset will be visible in the mockup.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 12:34:25 am by Seiseki »

Offline Fizzick

• View Profile

Reply #32 on: May 16, 2014, 12:41:22 am
It seems like whenever the good people of pixelation suggest anything to you, there is a lot of resistance on your part and very little attempt to change. The great part of digital art is that once you make a change, you can still go back to whatever way you liked (if you don't prefer the new). Try to follow everyone's advice to the extreme, even if you doubt them.

Offline Luke

• View Profile

Reply #33 on: May 16, 2014, 01:04:37 am
@ Seiseki
-When you say more contrast are you specifically talking about the contrast between the two different planes or just contrast in general?
-I have been doing hue shifting, although only as far as deep red for shadows.
-Any chance I could get you to do a quick edit?  I find that helps much more than text.
Thanks for your help.

Offline PixelPiledriver

• Yo!
    • View Profile
    • My Blog

Reply #34 on: May 16, 2014, 01:15:09 am
Try to perceive what mood and climate your colors express.
Visually your image really reminds me of where I live --> Seattle area.
Because of the constant clouds, there's a joke around here that shadows don't exist --> also kind of not a joke.

It looks cloudy, wet, clamy and a tiny bit cold.
Even still, up close there is still contrast.
If that's what you're going for you could still boost the contrast and add other visual cues to reinforce the weather.

And knowing that it is, we seek what it is... ~ Aristotle, Posterior Analytics, Chapter 1

Offline Crow

• Technicanimal
    • View Profile

Reply #35 on: May 16, 2014, 07:50:11 am
-Any chance I could get you to do a quick edit?  I find that helps much more than text.

In terms of colors, you've gotten a beautiful edit from Decroded. Use it as a guide; it addresses many issues with your current color scheme.
Discord: Ennea#9999

Offline Luke

• View Profile

Reply #36 on: May 16, 2014, 10:54:33 am
@PixelPiledriver
-That is exactly the atmosphere I'm going for.  I'm trying to create a 1920s-30s, smoggy, industrial, waterfront sort of atmosphere.
-I'll definitely have another look into boosting contrast.
-I thought Seattle was a beautiful city when I visited.  Try living in the UK.  Eternal grayness/dampness.
Thanks

@Crow
-I used Decroded's edit quite a lot to get to where I'm currently at.  In terms of colour I've used the same yellow-red hue shift that he has.  I'm also pretty sure my contrast between the different planes is as great as his is (minus the angled, dark shadow he's got going on).

Offline Crow

• Technicanimal
    • View Profile

Reply #37 on: May 16, 2014, 01:32:49 pm
Discord: Ennea#9999

Offline Luke

• View Profile

Reply #38 on: May 16, 2014, 02:24:39 pm
Attempted to turn up the contrast between the two different planes.  Not sure if I prefer it or not.
http://i.imgur.com/CRLEhVN.png?1

Before: http://i.imgur.com/BBJRhBc.png

Okay, I feel sort of stupid now... But I think the discrepancy we've been having has been caused by my monitor.  After doing this "magic tune" thing to my Samsung monitor, the tiles I've been working on suddenly appear very grey, dark and very low in contrast.
Very discouraging realizing I've wasted so much time with this.
At least I've found the problem though.
Thanks to Seiseki for suggesting this as a potential problem.

While I'm here, anyone know how to check the correctness of monitor settings other than the method I used?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 05:08:29 am by PixelPiledriver »

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/32234.htm
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage

Reply #39 on: May 16, 2014, 05:04:13 pm
"Because the beauty of the human body is that it hasn't a single muscle which doesn't serve its purpose; that there's not a line wasted; that every detail of it fits one idea, the idea of a man and the life of a man."

Dev-Art
Twitter