AuthorTopic: Tiles C&C  (Read 35347 times)

Offline Luke

• View Profile

Tiles C&C

on: November 14, 2013, 05:01:53 pm
I've been working on these tiles for quite a while now, they're still very much a WIP
I had been posting them on the WIP section of a different forum, but wasn't receiving the feedback I would have liked.
So here I am to try out this community.
All C&C/Edits welcome and appreciated.

Offline Âme

• View Profile

Re: Tiles C&C

Reply #1 on: February 25, 2014, 10:37:50 pm
Hey, these are very cool, but what kind of feedback are you looking for? Part of the reason you may not have gotten any responses is that people don't know what you specifically want to discus about your piece. Give us a bit more to work with. ;) This community is happy to help and will hopefully be a good fit for you, we just need a little more to work with.  :) Good luck!

Offline Probo

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: February 26, 2014, 04:43:50 pm
looks good!

though at first glance i thought the cobbled road was a wall, I think that might be down to the shading on the cobbles not denoting a particular direction of the light..

also id use more contrast in the pavement, the lines showing us the paving slabs seem too close to the colour of the slabs themselves. same goes for the greys on top of the building's buttresses

Offline looaks

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: February 26, 2014, 05:05:29 pm
That's a good piece but if i had to say something everything looks too 'clean' and without texture to me.  But maybe that's what you were looking for. I would add more details maybe what you don't like about it is that everything is too 'conventional' and less 'interesting'

Also the pier look like there is a 'parquet' on the floor and those square thing (which i suppose are beams) are out of place. Why do the beams go trough the pier columns/trunks? I can't find a better picture but you can have a look a this for understand what I mean.
http://harold.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Cayucos-Pier.jpg

I hope it helps.

Offline Luke

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: February 26, 2014, 11:09:08 pm
Whoa, this is strange.  I don't think I've looked at these forums since shortly after I posted this thread.  My first time back and I've received three replies in the past two days.  Better late than never I suppose.

I've continued work on these tiles, slowly but surely.  Below is where I'm currently at with them.  It would be great  if I could get some more C&C.  In regards to Âme's comment, there's nothing in particular that I'm really stuck with.  I would really just like comments and critique from different perspectives.

Offline NaCl

• When it rains it pours
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: February 27, 2014, 12:51:13 am
It looks pretty good, but I think the colors can be a lot better. Right now they're all pretty blah and homogeneous. Get some more saturation and contrast in there. Also, it's hard to work with massive images like this. Better to provide the components, or at least a smaller use of them, so people can tinker with it for feedback. I messed with the colors a little bit:

Offline Luke

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: February 27, 2014, 11:23:15 am
Yeah, I'm intentionally going for the low sat sort of washed out vibe.
Sorry about the size :(

Offline Sharm

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: February 27, 2014, 11:59:35 pm
I think the palette could use a bit more attention too.  Maybe you're going the wrong way with the hue shifting, it may work better to do a bluer light and warmer shadow.  That way you can up the saturation and contrast but still have a dreary look.

Offline Luke

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: March 01, 2014, 04:49:15 am
I've got to say, I think I prefer my dreary, washed out colours.  Thanks for the edits though.

Also, finally bought graphics gale and made my first animation tonight.  It took many painful hours ):
As always, more C&C would be great on any of these things.

Offline Grimsane

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: March 01, 2014, 09:41:44 am
I don't think it's too muted or dull, but i do think it's a tad washed out and pink,

you have some really bizarre mixed perspective going on down through the image, which i can't really help with at the moment,

but something easy to adress I can identify is the way you have been lightin different planes/surface angles, without any overall consistency, here's an edit with both colour adjustments keeping within your mood, and also suggestions like shadows to reinforce the dimension, and the most important part, lighting each plane angle, there is some evidence of this in your image but it's not being applied consistently enough, it means you have to limit the value range of each surface to better represent it's angle, otherwise it will read flat. for example in the illustration at the bottom, the ground angle plane is brighter, so have any flat ground angle surface a brighter value range.

As you are trying to establish a clear read on the dimensions it's important to put consideration into this kinda thing, hopefully this helps.

also a warning with props like those barrels DON'T side light them, it'll make them look out of place with the rest of the environment, try keeping a top down lighting regime. also they are out of perspective, make the lid more circular, just like those jetty posts.