AuthorTopic: Flash Git critique  (Read 3708 times)

Offline Mandrill

• Mandrillus sphinx
    • View Profile

Flash Git critique

on: November 10, 2013, 08:21:52 pm
Hello everyone!

Some of you may or may not have seen my stuff over at PJ. I sometimes creep up on the pixelation forum and stare at the great work that people are posting. ;)

I did this Warhammer 40k Flash git a while back (tried to get a tiny bit of the early Bonner orks in) and posted it on PJ.  I'm planning on doing another piece in a similar fashion at the moment.... a dragonkin with sword and shield or something sterotypcial like that.

I know that my clusters are quite messy and there is a helluva lot to improve. Hardly achievable with the right kind of critique I guess.
I didn't use any reference. With the wisdom of hindsight, I think that was a mistake.
(AA was done with the PJ-grey in mind)

13 colours + transparency (Link to PJSpecs)

Cheers for stopping by.  :y:

Offline Inviz

• View Profile

Re: Flash Git critique

Reply #1 on: November 12, 2013, 07:58:03 am
Nice detail and colors. Lovely gun.

Though his jaw doesnt appear attached to the rest of the head, maybe due to difference in top/bottom lip size

Offline Mandrill

• Mandrillus sphinx
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: November 12, 2013, 05:27:12 pm
Thanks, I know what you mean. The back part of his jaw is hard to see as well.

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: November 13, 2013, 07:21:17 am
Great start, nice colours :y:
I don't have much time but a few things that can help make this much better...

Rendering across the whole image has flattened it out.
Obvious examples are that wrinkle on his bicep near his shoulder, and wrinkles in the MC Hammer looking pants.
I'd be inclined to remove all-together that brightest orange on his rear leg and get rid of those horizontal wrinkles where his crotch should be.
Draw perspective lines at a few levels and you'll see his knees are out of perspective - so back knee up and/or foot down.
If his shoulder is supposed to be further back, then darken it more and rotate all the circle things to be a bit more eliptical and remove some of the green bulk on the right side so it is angled back (but leave the edge of the armour there).
On the closer (our left) shoulder, highlight could be a little higher up.

You can bring the head right a bit and bring those teeth up a bit, reduce brightness of top teeth so their in shadow a bit and just make that whole bottom area come up a bit more.

The gun looks cool but I think the barrel bends up a bit at the end and you should render the lighting more from the top, concentrating your highlights accordingly to reduce the flatness.

Feel like editing but no time >.<
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 07:26:37 am by Decroded »

Offline Mandrill

• Mandrillus sphinx
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: November 13, 2013, 04:09:40 pm
Cheers for taking the time to write your thoughts down.
A lot of stuff makes more sense now. The MC Hammer part made me laugh quite a bit.  :lol: Now that you've mentioned it, the whole thing really looks over-rendered and flat. I should have stayed away from that and focused more on the important parts. I will keep that in mind for the next sprite.

No worries, reworking it would have been my job anyway.  ;)

Offline Jim16

• Damian_G_R
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/18544.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: November 14, 2013, 01:17:08 pm
I'm a sucker for orcs and other fantasy things. I really Like some of the rendering, specifically of the skin. But I'm not much of a fan of the high contrast trousers, if you can sort that out, everything will look more unified. Proportionately I think there are mistakes, like the shoulder and I've taken the liberty to change this in an edit, however I also changed the head, based on my own preferences as well as a quick reference study.

I do think that references are vital when you're creating something like this, you need to understand the subject matter, and these type of things are really intricate with detail. The references on Google images I think speak for them selves.

Offline Lexou Duck

• kind of sort of a geek or something
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: November 14, 2013, 07:19:22 pm
im gonna take this in the opposite direction Jim16 did here

i think the design could be more fun if you played around with the sizes of the different body parts to exaggerate it

Offline Mandrill

• Mandrillus sphinx
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: November 14, 2013, 10:04:35 pm

@Jim16

Thanks a lot!. Yeah, the shoulder looks better know. I like the changes, espacially to the cheekbone, makes the whole design look more loosened up.
Cheers for pointing out the contrast problem.

@ Lexou
Hehe, cool! He looks really orky now, I like it. Adding big hands would make it even better I think.
Thanks. :)