AuthorTopic: First Sprite  (Read 6073 times)

Offline Agent K

• View Profile

Re: First Sprite

Reply #10 on: November 19, 2013, 03:43:16 pm

Thanks guys for all the input, its really awesome getting all this help.  I tried to make a list of all your suggestion and address them all.  The left Is what I had before I shrunk it down to fit the 16x24 envelope.  I really am not sure what to do witht he bottom of the dress and feet.  I have tried getting rid of the feet, changing from dress to leotard and just wasn't quite happy with any of them.  Thanks again for all the help and let me know if i missed any changes.

Offline Johasu

• @johasu232
    • Johasu232
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: November 19, 2013, 04:54:32 pm

Yours Tall > Yours Small > Mine
Threw together an edit.
You didn't fit her to the size limits. You went 16 tall but stayed 14 wide.  Which really makes it hard to emulate a style when you aren't following their limitations and/or aren't using the full potential of them.  Every pixel counts and has to show something.
They use that black border to outline their sprites but you have to watch for clumps that aren't necessary (between arms and body on yours)
Those extra black spots take up some of your available shaping area.
You are using sort of scattered differentiation in colors on the dress to attempt flow, but you have to think about the bigger picture.  If you were looking at a person from this far away would you be able to see the wrinkles in her dress or would you maybe see the line of lighting that reflected off the curve of her bosom. Think about how you use each pixel and what you are trying to make it show.
I tried to show how you can show shape particularly on her chest and the way I divided the portions of her body with lighting.  Bright on top dark under chin bright chest, darker underneath, brighter knee area, darker in to small feet.  This implies shape.  I also pulled a color out of your hair because it just wasn't necessary at all.  (The brightest shade you used was only one pixel and only existed in that one spot through the entire piece.)
Mine isn't perfect by any means.  I can already see things I could have done to make it better.  Hope this helps you some.   :y:
Gallery:  http://johasu.deviantart.com/gallery/
Twitter:  @johasu232

Offline Agent K

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: November 19, 2013, 09:04:29 pm

Thanks Johasu, i knew she was a few pixels thin, but didn't realize how much of a difference they would make.  I tried not to copy your edit, but i like yours a lot so i did glance at it a few times while i fixed mine.  Also glad u got rid of the sad eyebrows.

Offline Johasu

• @johasu232
    • Johasu232
    • View Profile

Reply #13 on: November 19, 2013, 09:13:08 pm
It's cool, I just wanted to see if I could do it mostly.   :hehe:
Glad to be of help.  I almost feel like I can see a skeleton in the highlights of your lower dress now though.  ::)  Something to think about.
Gallery:  http://johasu.deviantart.com/gallery/
Twitter:  @johasu232