AuthorTopic: Afro + Martial Arts  (Read 3869 times)

Offline Ro83rt

• -insert snappy phrase here-
    • View Profile

Afro + Martial Arts

on: July 16, 2006, 05:14:23 am
Decided to do a peice with a normal anatomy for a change.

I like the outcome but it just doesn't look and feel right. Any thoughts on how to improve?

Offline ProminenceFlare

• View Profile
    • Sunstar Productions Forum

Re: Afro + Martial Arts

Reply #1 on: July 16, 2006, 05:29:29 am
I shoudn't be one to critque, but the pose just looks off. The left arm doesn't look right, like it'sbending the wrong way slightly. The right hand seems bent oddly, and...methinks the right pant (I'm speaking as looking at him, not facing the same way...I'm referring to the frontmost leg) seems a little too wide compared to the left. Also, the forward foot's off. I can't tag how, but it is to me.

...Then again, this is practically my first critque, so...heck, I might be wrong about everything.

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Reply #2 on: July 16, 2006, 05:30:54 am
i'd suggest redoing the arms, they are really short and the anatomy isn't quite right.
also, each hue ramp is very monocolored, and the skin lacks any highlights making it look flat.

yosh64

Reply #3 on: July 16, 2006, 09:51:20 am
hey

Firstly I must say that I really like the style and character of your work now days :D.

The thing that points out to me most about this sprites, is the lighting, and anatomy of the arms. This could turn into a very very cool sprite with the lighting defined better. I will do a quick edit, to try and help better define the lighting and fix the arm. I will also take care not to actually do this for you, but rather guide you, if that makes any sense?
BTW I really like the pants :). I also think this sprite needs some polishing of some sorts ;). I mean some lines look like they can be cleaner and such :).

edit
and
Well it's done now... I didn't capture your style in my edit, but I hopefully you can get a better idea of the lighting. But yea, when trying to figure the lighting, I like to visualise in my mind of how I think the light would be if the character is broken down into very simple shapes. Ohh, I also desaturated the two lighter brown colors, but I guess this is just what I prefer myself :-\.

cyas
« Last Edit: July 16, 2006, 12:50:05 pm by yosh64 »

Offline Dan

• "Haha The Man"
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: July 16, 2006, 04:58:10 pm
Yeah i also like the style. I think the pose is very interesting. There are a few issues with the shading, as stating already higlights are needed to reduce flatness. If you look the upper body (the pecks) His right peck seems to me a bit small but i can see why it would be like that co0nsidering the angle. The belly doesn't correspond with the angle of the upper body. Just a few things to check out. ;)
That's the way the cookie crumbles. - Do the bug bob.     - Woot!

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #5 on: July 16, 2006, 10:02:07 pm
Yes, his arms are much too short. I think that, when straightened, fingertips should go halfway down the thigh. The pant on the outstretched leg is too thin, as it should be hanging down away from the leg. The same foot has really flat toes and and oddly angled ball. Foot-ball. Ball of foot. Whatever. For him to be a fighter, his belly seems a bit...unshapely. Yosh does a good job of fixing that. The nearest leg has a wierd lump on the back of it, and the ankle seems thin.

Just trying not to repeat any crits that have already been given.

Offline Ro83rt

• -insert snappy phrase here-
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: July 17, 2006, 07:05:26 pm
AN EDIT!

-Made arms longer
-tried to fix feet
-enlarged left pants leg
-made a bigger fold in the right pants leg
-tried to make highights

<------- OLD / NEW --------->