AuthorTopic: Warhammer 40k - Side Scroller  (Read 2506 times)

Offline mr_cartoon

• View Profile

Warhammer 40k - Side Scroller

on: November 06, 2013, 07:45:00 pm
Hello,

I am new to pixel art and want to do a side scrolling game set in the Warhammer 40k universe.

Below is what I've done so far and I'd love any feedback for this endeavour.

Ultramarine - Player Sprite:

basic pose *updated*

shooting

reloading *updated*

Orc Heavy Gunner - NPC

basic pose *updated*

Thank you dpixel for your help. I love your suggestions. I am just thinking for this one of doing things without an outline, but again thank you for your help.

With regards to the shooting animation being more appropriate for a single shot, powerful weapon, I always figured the bolt gun to be a hand held shotgun. But it does jump up quite a bit.. I'll play around some more and see what I get.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 09:17:48 pm by mr_cartoon »

Offline dpixel

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/20306.htm
    • View Profile

Re: Warhammer 40k - Side Scroller

Reply #1 on: November 06, 2013, 08:48:30 pm
These are nice.  I'm working on a sidescroller/platform zombie game myself and my sprites are about this size.
Just an idea to up the contrast and readability:

Maybe too busy?   :-\

Offline Haze01

• View Profile

Re: Warhammer 40k - Side Scroller

Reply #2 on: November 07, 2013, 09:37:05 pm
I also found the details you had included in the sprite to be difficult to read.  On my monitor, I actually just saw it as a solid-blue sprite with only the white star, gold band, and brown gun as other details.  It wasn't until I zoomed in that I saw there were highlights and details to the blue armor.  dpixel's edit adds detail and the increased contrast makes it more readable.

The animations are looking fairly good.  I don't know much about it but I wonder if the shooting animation is correct for this type of weapon.  It feels more appropriate for some type of single-shot gun.  There are sure to be references available online.