AuthorTopic: I Need Help to Animate a Simple Knight  (Read 5273 times)

Offline Selassin

• View Profile

I Need Help to Animate a Simple Knight

on: November 04, 2013, 07:05:00 pm
 I'm trying to make a knight as main character for my game, I'm not experienced in anyways like I said before, so I kept it simple.

Firstly, here is my character:
  Idle(only arms move): Walking: Attack:

I'm mainly complaining about the first frame of attack animation, legs looks horrible, what can I do about it? I had this stance in mind while doing it.

Secondly, now It looks really boring, with just 1 gray color, I don't know how to make something fancy , any suggestions about this?

And I'm waiting for your C+C's of course, since it'll be main character I want to make it better.

Offline jahasaja

• View Profile

Re: I Need Help to Animate a Simple Knight

Reply #1 on: November 04, 2013, 09:00:06 pm
Did a quick edit:

I focused on the "pull back" of the sword. Also tried to make it so his upper body turns just before he strikes.

Still a lot of work to do done but perhaps this can give you some ideas. This thread is also a winner: http://wayofthepixel.net/index.php?topic=15740.0

Offline Selassin

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: November 04, 2013, 10:38:04 pm
I just did some quick tweaks upon what you said, but nothing complete and It's late, tomorrow probably I'll turn the character before sword swing like you did.

About legs, your edit looks good and complete, but if possible, I want to have some preparing for the next move, crouching a little maybe like that picture example, like he's going to hit with all his might, your edit looks more like hitting while running to me.

Edit: Oh I forgot to mention, that thread looks really good, thanks, I'm gonna study those.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 10:40:24 pm by Selassin »

Offline Selassin

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: November 05, 2013, 02:50:56 pm
 So I did this today: (gif here is playing slow for some reason, I made it faster in PS) I plan to play 2nd 3rd and 4th frames faster in game. So what do you think?

And I have a question, how can I achieve this blur effect: (from this post from PixelPiledriver)

« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 02:55:47 pm by Selassin »

Offline PixelPiledriver

• Yo!
    • View Profile
    • My Blog

Reply #4 on: November 05, 2013, 11:57:49 pm
And I have a question, how can I achieve this blur effect:
I cheated.  :P
That's the result of using the Blur effect in GraphicsGale.

Other programs have a similar feature.
Also it's usually better to blur only a selection of the areas that are moving the most.
And knowing that it is, we seek what it is... ~ Aristotle, Posterior Analytics, Chapter 1

Offline jahasaja

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: November 06, 2013, 07:26:09 am
It looks like he is doing some kind of a uppercut with the sword and using his wrist to flip it upwards in the end. You do not need to show the whole length of the sword during the whole swing. When the sword is pointed towards the viewer you should not be able to see the whole length just the point of the sword.

Like this:

I working on something similar myself. It is not done but perhaps it can give you some ideas.

(and sorry I thought you guy was doing a running swing  :P)

Offline Selassin

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: November 06, 2013, 11:07:46 am
And I have a question, how can I achieve this blur effect:
I cheated.  :P
That's the result of using the Blur effect in GraphicsGale.

Other programs have a similar feature.
Also it's usually better to blur only a selection of the areas that are moving the most.

Oh I see, It looks really badass in your example, but it didn't look good on my character.

It looks like he is doing some kind of a uppercut with the sword and using his wrist to flip it upwards in the end. You do not need to show the whole length of the sword during the whole swing. When the sword is pointed towards the viewer you should not be able to see the whole length just the point of the sword.

I working on something similar myself. It is not done but perhaps it can give you some ideas.

(and sorry I thought you guy was doing a running swing  :P)

I tried to get something from your example:
 Older and improved version:
 Yes, older one has a uppercut problem :)

Offline Selassin

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: November 06, 2013, 11:38:44 am
I tried to do something like this:

I think it looks good.
 Quick edit:
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 11:42:54 am by Selassin »

Offline r1k

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: November 06, 2013, 07:38:07 pm
the way you have the motion blur slowly fade out is wierd, and makes it seem like you dont understand what it represents.

heres a really bad 3 frame example

the blur in frame 2 is supposed to show that within the time of that single frame, the line is swinging through all that space, its so fast that we are sort of seeing it in all those positions at once, rather than changing the timing of the animation so that we fit multiple frames in the time of that single frame.  But once the line reaches the end, we dont need to show that blur anymore, because in the next frame we arent trying to show that the line is occupying all that space still.  It already moved through that space.  By getting get of the blur it appears faster.

also, if this is for a game, I think you need to consider a different type of swing.  Your attack only extends like 8 pixels in front of the characters body.  Youre going to have to stand so close to the enemies to hit them its going to be very frustrating for the player.

the start of the animation is a little wierd too.  how he starts the swing by moving the sword a small distance very slowly, and then suddenly very fast.  I know in an earlier thread pixelpiledriver (I think) talked about slow in and slow out for animations but I think youre implementing it wrong.

Take the sprite at the top of your last post for example.  The motion starts out slower because he begins by lifting the sword.  The swing itself though is fast and fluid, a single motion.  The blur only lasts 1 frame so it seems fast.  Then he holds the sword at the end position an extra frame to slow out of the animation.

Im not an animation expert so maybe I explained some things badly or wrong, but hopefuly this helps.

Offline Selassin

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: November 07, 2013, 02:07:41 pm

We don't need to worry about length of the sword blur effect, I'm creating it as a single image, so I can manipulate it as I want and so are collision detections.

Of course it's not as smooth as PixelPiledriver's, but I'm working on it.