AuthorTopic: Help with Cave tileset for platformer [C&C][WIP]  (Read 15393 times)

Offline r1k

• View Profile

Re: Help with Cave tileset for platformer [C&C][WIP]

Reply #10 on: November 06, 2013, 07:23:29 pm
the character seems in a different style to me too.  I think its because he has outlines while the tiles dont.  Id try making him without outlines, just to see how it looks.  It might actually help him stand out more since more area will have brighter colors.  Of course, this could be bad if he needs to be on other backgrounds.

Offline Tidbit

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: November 06, 2013, 09:38:07 pm

Very true, I like that it helps it pop while at the same time it feels unnatural stylistically here.

Maybe if the dark saturated reds were just on the borders instead of throughout or perhaps change the dark saturated colors to match the insides of the sprite?

WTB extra time to make edits for people! >_<
Alright, so I messed around with the character a bit and came up with three other variations:

I like the one on the left which has the deep red for the outline with colored outlines on the inside, which I think looks pretty good. I think the biggest problem is that the tiles are far more complicated than the character which is simple and rather cute looking. I'll check back in a bit with an updated tileset that will match the character a bit more.

Offline coffee

• JohanAronson
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: November 06, 2013, 11:07:55 pm
I don't think It's a matter of the character being more simple than the tile. I believe it's the different kind of palette style you've chosen for him. I would probably drop the outline on the character completely since everything else don't have it, like mentioned before. I also made it a bit bigger cos the extremely small version makes you have to squeeze things together so hard it might miss the actual style you are looking to have overall, or at least ended up with on the tiles. I also wouldn't change the tileset to match the character. Your tileset has a lot more effort and thought behind it than your character have atm.

Also try not to post these huge upscaled images (Now I did since it already was there). It's handy for people that want to help you by doing edits.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 11:11:20 pm by coffee »

Offline Tidbit

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: November 07, 2013, 12:07:52 am
I don't think It's a matter of the character being more simple than the tile. I believe it's the different kind of palette style you've chosen for him. I would probably drop the outline on the character completely since everything else don't have it, like mentioned before. I also made it a bit bigger cos the extremely small version makes you have to squeeze things together so hard it might miss the actual style you are looking to have overall, or at least ended up with on the tiles. I also wouldn't change the tileset to match the character. Your tileset has a lot more effort and thought behind it than your character have atm.

Also try not to post these huge upscaled images (Now I did since it already was there). It's handy for people that want to help you by doing edits.
:o
I love you so much right now. That really helps me out a lot, as the character I was using was an edited version from a really old and outdated project of mine and I guess it was restricting me more than I had realized. Thanks so much for the edit, I'll pop back on later with my own take based off that <3.

Offline Tidbit

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: November 08, 2013, 06:52:28 pm
Aaaight guys, sorry for the delay in providing a new update. I took Coffee's sprite and made two other variations of it.

The middle one is a bit of an experiment with the style and posture correction and the one on the far right is a more direct translation of the style to my character from before, which really looks much better with the applies changes. I did my best to keep the same dimensions as I am working with some restrictions for the character. I also tweaked the tiles to tone them down a bit and to provide more contrast between the character and the tiles which I think turned out pretty nice.

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #15 on: November 12, 2013, 01:59:45 am
i like the middle one. left is leaning back a bit and right is a bit short

Offline Tidbit

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: November 12, 2013, 03:27:47 am
i like the middle one. left is leaning back a bit and right is a bit short
I do as well but I can't really use that size as I'm working with a set or restrictions for the character, I could always change those but whats the fun in that?

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #17 on: November 13, 2013, 06:06:50 am
Thanks for posting at 1:1 scale  :y:

In that case, he looks fine and should match other sprites you add in.
Since he is really pushing the boundary, he might bleed up 1 pixel when you make him run but that might look acceptable.
Just a suggestion though that it can be interesting for gameplay (as well as visually) if the hero is say 1.5 tiles high, and needs to crouch to fit through smaller gaps.
You can afford it too with that resolution.

I also feel the sprite's colours are a little subdued and could do with a touch more saturation and/or you could further tweak the colours of the surroundings.
Notice for example, coffee's version has a brighter and more saturated cluster for the belt buckle?
This helps give him visual priority.

The thick white line in your tileset is a bit overpowering and taking away from the all-important border on the edge of the playable space, so I had 5 minute fiddle to blend it and make some sharper, more planar edges...
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 07:00:14 am by Decroded »

Offline Tidbit

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: November 14, 2013, 04:24:11 am
Thanks for posting at 1:1 scale  :y:

In that case, he looks fine and should match other sprites you add in.
Since he is really pushing the boundary, he might bleed up 1 pixel when you make him run but that might look acceptable.
Just a suggestion though that it can be interesting for gameplay (as well as visually) if the hero is say 1.5 tiles high, and needs to crouch to fit through smaller gaps.
You can afford it too with that resolution.

I also feel the sprite's colours are a little subdued and could do with a touch more saturation and/or you could further tweak the colours of the surroundings.
Notice for example, coffee's version has a brighter and more saturated cluster for the belt buckle?
This helps give him visual priority.

The thick white line in your tileset is a bit overpowering and taking away from the all-important border on the edge of the playable space, so I had 5 minute fiddle to blend it and make some sharper, more planar edges...

Ahh, I love those tile edits! I really appreciate your opinion on them and will get to working on them right away, the cleaner look on the lower rocks definitely looks way better than before. As for the sprites colors, I used the exact same colors from Coffee edits so I'm not sure why the yellow of the belt buckle seems to be different. If anything, I play around a bit more with the tile colors and try to maybe tone them down a bit and see if that helps with what you were saying. I'll also have a walk animation to post that I've been working on and the others will probably come in the next few days or so now that I actually have the time to work on them.

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #19 on: November 14, 2013, 09:24:11 am
I used the exact same colors from Coffee edits so I'm not sure why the yellow of the belt buckle seems to be different.
:blind:

I think you should ramp it up a bit instead of toning it down to help the sprites pop.
The 3rd frame was edited by compressing the Levels a bit in Photoshop...