AuthorTopic: pixel landscape  (Read 3671 times)

Offline Grimsane

• View Profile

pixel landscape

on: October 22, 2013, 11:48:44 am
haven't pixel'd in ages, figured I'd spend a few hours of my afternoon getting back into the groove rather satisfied so far, figured I'd post it here :)
anyone have any suggestions/feedback or crits on the composition or the clusters themselves? 26 colours bit too much? :( hopefully get back into low restriction pixels more so
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 11:54:19 am by Grimsane »

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Re: pixel landscape

Reply #1 on: October 22, 2013, 02:57:52 pm
cool vibe.
quick doodle for better or for worse:

Offline Charlieton

• awkward dancer
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: October 22, 2013, 03:39:39 pm
I don't like the debris stuff in the foreground. The image is so dark, so the bright stuff sharing the same colours come off as being part of the same thing, and on the same level of depth. At first look for me, anyway. Also, the piece of debris on the left is a very generic pixel shape, and it breaks off from the style of the rest of the objects in the image (a piece of abstract symbolism (that exposes the grid) in a mimetic landscape). It's noise, essentially.
Det skulle vara lätt för mig att säga att jag inte gillar dig, men det gör jag; tror jag

Offline ErekT

• fistful of pixels
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: October 22, 2013, 04:31:38 pm
Cool little piece but I think all the colors and the overly antialiased edges work against it big-time. If you bring down the color count it'll be easier to spot banding issues too.

Offline Parkerbaby

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: October 22, 2013, 08:17:26 pm
It looks so much like a resized and blurry picture. Everything is banded, and it seems more attention was paid to making it blurry than to actually address the forms.

Offline Grimsane

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: October 22, 2013, 10:15:48 pm
nice edit decroded

yeah I agree with you guys, feel I've lost touch :'(, and with fresh eyes it's all too apparent, that and pixel'ing at 1200x zoom is pretty silly  :blind:

think i might double the res and half the colour count

Offline pistachio

• Mostly lurking
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/125138.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: October 22, 2013, 10:34:01 pm
If you look at photo refs of temples most pictures are taken from a low angle. IRL it would be a low-angle viewpoint, so why not?

Not sure what to put in the background but a mountain would add depth, could be another temple also, but the current tree is throwing the composition off balance.

Second doubling the res though, keep it up mate. This could be twice as great. But you gotta watch out for those clusters.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 11:09:36 pm by pistachio »

Offline Grimsane

• View Profile

update: pixel landscape

Reply #7 on: October 22, 2013, 11:11:54 pm
mhm yeah, awesome suggestions Pistachio! :crazy: definitely think I will push the low angle, looks far more epic.

just spent awhile on it, not long uprez'd, I'd have to disagree with the previous comment about heaps of banding, because there wasn't really much, but the banding was removed with the over use of subtle colour changes which is probably worse colour is down to 18 at the moment

think I'll run with pistachio's advice, also yeah the tree isn't working amazing still either, gonna push the background.

edit:
down to 11 colours, going to go 12 so i can add one more tone when i need if I need it, messed around with the tones, and figured I'd experiment with composition before attempting to change the perspective

edit II:
messing around some more with possible background,  and also just tried increasing the height a bit

going to see what I can do to push a low perspective, might not have too much time to work on this for a while. Perspective on the bottom exploration is screwed  :blind:
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 01:00:42 am by Grimsane »