AuthorTopic: Comments and Criticisms Jinx  (Read 3191 times)

Offline Altourus

• View Profile

Comments and Criticisms Jinx

on: October 21, 2013, 01:18:44 am
Hey guys,

I'm having some issues with colour selection and tiny details. I worked on a recreation of a new League of Legends character and general concensus is meh. I was wondering what touch ups and changes I should be working into it and my other pieces to make them shine

This is the piece in question

Offline Ai

• finti
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/profile.asp?id=1996
    • finticemo
    • View Profile

Re: Comments and Criticisms Jinx

Reply #1 on: October 21, 2013, 05:59:26 am
* More variation in hue and saturation throughout each ramp (in particular you are currently conveying a grey skin tone because your dark skin tone is uncontrasted, not red/brown enough, and the same saturation as the 'light' skin tone)
* More contrast (using GIMP or Photoshop Contrast/brightness tool will give you a general idea)
* make the pose meaningful, like some sort of action is being taken, and work out the tension of each individual limb in relation to each other, starting from the ground
If you insist on being pessimistic about your own abilities, consider also being pessimistic about the accuracy of that pessimistic judgement.

Offline tehwexxl0rz

• Swing the bat.
    • ianwexl0rz
    • https://pixeljoint.com/p/15996.htm
    • View Profile
    • Ian Wexler | Game Developer

Reply #2 on: October 21, 2013, 12:43:13 pm
Without all the ammo clips and buckles and combat boots it just looks like a generic raver.
The face proportions are off, but no use dwelling on that until you've got the overall figure.

Sketch the full thing before you fill in the details. Do LOTS of figure drawing. Anatomy takes practice! :y:

Offline Altourus

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: October 21, 2013, 03:53:27 pm
Alright, I'll work up some new pose so I can try and get more of the details in, maybe some sort of action pose. Probably going to need to do a bigger image size, when I tried to add the bullets last time they ended up being undecipherable because they were so small.

Offline Sohei

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: October 25, 2013, 02:39:43 pm
You piece won't shine, unless you make proper human body, with correct proportions and anatomy. You've picked wrong art medium to practice  figure drawing. Pixel art requires lots of work and time, the cost of mistake is very big. You will get tired too fast and learn too little.
Consider drawing with pencil and paper. Study references.