AuthorTopic: Galaxy Note 3 drawing apps?  (Read 4987 times)

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Galaxy Note 3 drawing apps?

on: October 16, 2013, 02:19:41 am
I'm playing around with a Note 3 and thinking about getting it.
Since I don't have money for the new Cintiq Tablet ( :'(), I'd like to use this for some sketching and a bit of pixel art would be great.
If theres something that would let me do sprite animation then that would be amazing!

Anyone know any apps that are good for this?
Happy to pay obviously but dun wanna buy crap thats just designed for editing photos.
Suppose I can always do a refund from Play Store if its not what I want...

Offline surt

• Meat by-product
    • not_surt
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2254.htm
    • View Profile
    • Uninhabitant

Re: Galaxy Note 3 drawing apps?

Reply #1 on: October 16, 2013, 02:32:47 am
There's a port of grafx2 but I've never managed to get it working nicely with my first gen Note. Can't map the stylus buton to RMB and always got a big ugly touch indicator on screen.

Offline surt

• Meat by-product
    • not_surt
    • View Profile
    • Uninhabitant

Reply #2 on: October 17, 2013, 09:59:46 am
Just had an idea: If you just want something with a pen display to tool with then I've got a rubbish old tablet PC (Toshiba M700) that's been gathering dust for over a year which I'd be happy to dump free-to-a-good-home. You're in Brissie too it seems so shouldn't be too much hassle for me to get it to you. Pretty much zero battery life (don't think I ever cot more than a couple hours out of it at best) and I just now busted the power supply to check if it still works (power supply still works but I wouldn't trust it not to burn down your house if left unattended, and you seem to be able to get a replacement on ebay for $15-$30) but still cool for sketching when hooked up to mains.

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: October 17, 2013, 11:54:25 am
Wow that would be awesome! :D
I've been wanting to buy something like this for a long time but haven't come across anything and really didn't know what to get online.
So yeah I can give you something for it anyway doesn't need to be free.

I'll PM you...

Offline yrizoud

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: October 17, 2013, 01:08:02 pm
Reminds me of the topic where Argyle recommended ~5-year old Tablet PCs :
http://wayofthepixel.net/index.php?topic=11687.msg121811#msg121811
I bought such device also (a Motion Computing from 2006), and to this day, it's still a much better artist's tool than the most recent iPad.

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: October 17, 2013, 10:52:10 pm
Yeah I posted here a few years ago but never came across anything.
I was looking at motion back then but dont know enough about the models and theres nowhere to go to see them working, and they look pretty pricey and I didnt all that much cash back then.
Primarily I want for pixel art so pretty low spec but I guess id be doing sketching and stuff too.
id love to be able to go to the forest or cafe at the top of the mountain overlooking our city and draw in photoshop without setting up my laptop and wacom  :D

Offline surt

• Meat by-product
    • not_surt
    • View Profile
    • Uninhabitant

Reply #6 on: October 18, 2013, 08:26:41 am
yrizoud: I'd very happily donate a bit of cash toward one of you grafx2 dev's getting a Galaxy Note family phone so you can get it working perfectly with the stylus. :D

Offline yrizoud

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: October 18, 2013, 02:06:50 pm
Decroded: List of Wacom "penabled" hardware : http://www.wacom-components.com/english/partner/index.html
The list contains many no-longer-sold machines, obsolete by today's standards but still very useful for artists that are content with running "just" Photoshop CS 2 on Windows XP.
When you find an offer for a refurbished TabletPC, it's usually for 10-15% of their original price, because it's a kind of unusual machine, not so easy to find buyers. But be sure to check your *local* ads, you'll need to see the hardware in person to see if the screen is in good enough condition to draw ! Don't expect Retina-quality screens in general.
One thing that's invaluable for pixelling is that the pen tip gets detected like 1cm above screen surface, so you can get an accurate preview before you click.

Surt: Sorry but even if I had the phone, I 'm not an Android developer and don't have a suitable cross-development environment (no PC recent enough to install one).
The "touch indicator" sounds like something automatically provided by the OS, "above" the program's own graphic area. I have no idea how a generic android application can tell the OS : "I won't need it".
"Can't map the stylus buton to RMB" : Did you find and try redefine the keyboard shortcut "Mouse emulation : Right click" ?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 02:09:06 pm by yrizoud »

Offline surt

• Meat by-product
    • not_surt
    • View Profile
    • Uninhabitant

Reply #8 on: October 18, 2013, 11:22:36 pm
I'm pretty sure the touch indicator and lack of stylus button support are both the responsibility (can't really expect support for an atypical and proprietary input device) of the SDL port.

You guys should really still accept donations anyways, maybe then you'd be able to upgrade your development system.  :P