AuthorTopic: GR#142 - Kill la Kill Ryuko - Sprite Process  (Read 23714 times)

Offline AlcopopStar

• View Profile
    • https://ramheadedgirl.com/folio/

GR#142 - Kill la Kill Ryuko - Sprite Process

on: October 13, 2013, 08:50:20 am
Hello forum,

So here is a thing. (edit: added latest version)

>>>
x2
>>>>

So I was hoping to make something in the vain of much superior artist Hunter Russells (Mojry, 1up? http://professionalmanlyguy69.tumblr.com/)

But I feel the posturing of my figure just isn't strong enough. I don't know if I have time to completely rework this but I would love some suggestions all the same.

The character is Ryūko Matoi from studio triggers anime Kill la Kill, a spiritual successor to Gurren Lagann. So um yeah, I understand the outfit is completely insane (see: anime) and I have my issues with the show but I like the characters and was hoping to do the full set.

Here is a reference of Ryūko in her err... battle lingerie.
http://amisubs.altervista.org/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/HorribleSubs-Kill-la-Kill-01-720p.mkv_snapshot_20.03_2013.10.03_21.27.52.jpg

Suggestions welcome!
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 03:06:27 pm by AlcopopStar »

Offline wolfenoctis

• View Profile

Re: Kill la Kill - Ryūko (vaguely nsfw)

Reply #1 on: October 13, 2013, 02:29:59 pm
Proportions and anatomy is slightly off, also I think the colors are a little too saturated, heres an edit to show you what I mean:

Offline AlcopopStar

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: October 13, 2013, 04:17:34 pm
Thanks for the response wolf,

You are defiantly right about the colours, that said I do want the image to "pop" so I didn't tone them down quite as much as you did. I also love what you did with the sword.

Here is the latest version, I added in the base I created for anatomies sake. Things have been stylized but generally everything should still be making sense. (legs are a bit off maybe, i'll fix that in the morning.)

I think i'll play with the colours some more when it's not 3am.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 08:32:30 am by AlcopopStar »

Offline Facet

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: October 14, 2013, 06:26:43 pm
I think she's just leaning forward a bit and there's little sense of balancing the weight of the sword, non-sword hand bit unengaged, hovering.

I tried to use stronger, smoother lines to ground her and 'transmit' force towards the pivotal sword hand. Adjusted torso/leg ratio for elegance, YMMV.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 06:28:40 pm by Facet »

Offline wolfenoctis

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: October 15, 2013, 05:20:39 am
Nice stance Facet, but I think the legs might be spread a little too wide. I made a variation, see this a lot in anime poses, somewhat unrealistic but yeah...

Offline jams0988

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: October 15, 2013, 06:41:54 am
I dunno, Wolf. Facet's stance may be a bit wider than realistically comfortable, but it's still a very doable pose, and gives her a stylized "about to kick ass!" feel. It seems like the best pose to go with to me, considering the character.
In other news, Kill la Kill is one of the best shows ever, two episodes in. The fanservice is so over the top, it's hilarious and badass, rather than pervy and gross, and the whole show is just insane and tons of fun. Looking forward to the rest of the season!
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 06:45:52 am by jams0988 »

Offline Facet

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: October 15, 2013, 06:02:43 pm
@wolfenoctis

Thanks, It seems like she's some sort of superpowered teen ninja though, the bow-legged thing is counter to what I was trying to do with the strong straights.

Offline wolfenoctis

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: October 15, 2013, 06:37:40 pm
@ Facet

I know that, I just added that one as a variation, just occurred to me and thought I'd post it. What I mean by the wide legs isn't so much the stance as the position of the knee:

I think it looks a little weird to me, aside from that the stance is great  :y:

Offline AlcopopStar

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: October 16, 2013, 10:21:20 am
@facet & wolf

Thanks for the edits guys, I tried to push to pose like you illustrated and I think it's looking a lot more dynamic.

My main issue now is readability. This may be a colour issue, or weak pixel tech, i'm not sure. Thoughts?

@jams0988
Yeah the show is a lot of fun, though I still think the fan service is a little gross. This post: http://mt-dick-too-bomb.tumblr.com/post/63676638391 reflects my thoughts on the matter. That said the show has a lot of good points as well.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 10:26:54 am by AlcopopStar »

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/32234.htm
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage

Reply #9 on: October 16, 2013, 11:05:43 am
I think your main issue is the hip-line (shoulde rline could use some work as well)
Your skirt is horizontal though the legs are widely spread. this makes it appear that both legs have different length while the hip is really static. If you study Facet's edit you will see how he worked with rhytm for the hip line and the shoulders.

Your clothed version has a horizontal hip line (skirt lower edge) and a horizontal shoulder line. - try to apply the main landmarks of faces edit in the clothes as well.

If you look closely at her left leg you will see that the knee is displaced. the anatomy of the upper leg (at least what I can read from the shading) don't matches together with the position.

Her hand on the hip also seems to be really misformed, it looks to me more like a cat claw.

The other huge proplem I spot are huge inconsistencies with the light direction: most is frontal lit, her lower left arm is lighted from the right side, sword too, hair too, breasts are flat shaded, while the head is shaded from 45° upper light)
The belly currently seems to be the far most important spot to look at, the breast are flat (which makes no sense if you are drawing a design like that) - tone down the light on the belly, increase the light at the top (face, shoulder area)
the reflected light next to her right knee barb (if that's right in english, at least below her left knee) is definitely off if the light is coming from above.

There are even more smaller anatomical inconsistencies, like:
her right lower arm seems to be to longs, the breasts are completely flat on the torso (they are usually facing away from each other)
her right shoulder seems to be by far to big compares to her left shoulder
the legs in your base have different lengths
the calfy could use more stress for such high shoes
the neck is to long, or there need to be more back muscles visible (in the base)
belly button is too high, or at least the brown shading makes it appear higher
head seems to be misattached to the neck (sternomastoid - ear line)
feet are both fixed to the bottom (no weighting in the pose)
the line of the suspenders don't works wll with the rest of the upper legs

I know all the anatomical stuff is just nitpicking compared to the other, more important stuff I mentioned before, but since I had a lot of the same anatomical problems with the last characters I drew and I am currently studying all those subtleties carefully to get them right, I think some of the observations might help you for your overall image as well.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 11:09:07 am by Cyangmou »
"Because the beauty of the human body is that it hasn't a single muscle which doesn't serve its purpose; that there's not a line wasted; that every detail of it fits one idea, the idea of a man and the life of a man."

Dev-Art
Twitter