AuthorTopic: Swamp level. C+C needed  (Read 8873 times)

Offline Sohei

• View Profile

Swamp level. C+C needed

on: October 12, 2013, 07:12:52 am
Here is a mockup of a swamp level. Grid based on 16x16 tiles. I've inserted game units to give understanding on scale and proportions.

I've made this level, but now I see that it's structure restricts me at a field of gamedesign. First of all, the level is plain flat. I can't make ground shifting, because of the logic of still water. The only way I can bring up jumping is creating a some kind of alternative path over branches. But I feel restriction, because too long truncs ruins aestetics and feel weird. And no idea how to populate branches with appropriate obstacles.
I could't come up with convinient destroyable path blocks, like bone pillars in Castlevania, so it's another trouble - I don't know how to stop a player from running across avoiding battle.
Maybe I'm thinking in wrong direction, and try to fill lack of level mechanics by graphic measures.
I need some serious critique and advice. Is there a way to improve gaming concept of a level?

Offline ErekT

• fistful of pixels
    • View Profile

Re: Swamp level. C+C needed

Reply #1 on: October 12, 2013, 07:31:50 am
I don't understand. Why can't the ground shift because of the water? Is the entire level covered in waist-deep water? Do all the platforms need to be completely horizontal or can they have slopes? Are the trunks collidable? If not, there's no reason to keep them pointing straight up is there? It would help if you described the particulars of your game's mechanics so that we know what kind of restrictions you try to fit the graphics into.

Offline r1k

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: October 12, 2013, 07:40:18 am
I think theres plenty of oppertunity to change the elevation of the ground.  Like this:

now you can have the elevation change and still have the background align with it too, even if its a little tricky.  Check out the first level of act riser:

http://vgmaps.com/Atlas/SuperNES/ActRaiser-Fillmore-Act-1.png

heres the background by itself:

http://www.spriters-resource.com/resources/sheets/24/26774.png

as for destructible obsticles, what about thorny vines?  It can even by a monster.

Demons crest had a forest level that had destructable vines blocking off some of the branch path ways.  Its always a good reference of how to add some variation to the size and shape of the tree trunks, while still managably tileable.  Check it out

http://vgmaps.com/Atlas/SuperNES/Demon%27sCrest-DarkForest-ThornGrove.png

Offline Sohei

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: October 12, 2013, 08:57:18 am
r1k
I don't know why, but solution becomes obvious, when someone else points it out. Ok. So the most problematic structural zones are branches and ground elevation. Let's see if I can overpaint another variant.  I'll pretend there is no restriction on grid for branches. But if there is, then it will be a huge problem.

UPD: What about now?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2013, 09:56:11 am by Sohei »

Offline kriss

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: October 13, 2013, 08:30:12 am
I think you don't need to have water everywhere : put water only on the bottom ground, so in water the movement could be slow (make enemies more dangerous)

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #5 on: October 13, 2013, 11:00:33 am
Yeah, realistically (I know it's a game and all) the water in a swamp is from the water table, so you would not get it on different elevations (water not flowing up and all). And what kriss said about the possible impact on gameplay is a very good point as well.

I also suggest googling for some swamp images because atm all you got is some invented looking mangrove trees and nondiscript plants. There can be quite a bit of interesting varyation in a swamp in regards to both flora and fauna. Use reference.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #6 on: October 14, 2013, 11:36:28 am
Barrel Bayou in DKC2 solved that with hand-made platforms installed on the swamp ground. That allows some level of elevation.

Offline Gizmonicgamer

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: October 14, 2013, 06:12:16 pm
You can have the ground below the water dip down further and have underwater or semi-underwater segments; additionally, you can have fallen objects like trees or hills justify an upwards increase in ground level without breaking from the first concept.

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: October 17, 2013, 10:42:06 am
Great thread, useful for me too.
Bit of an attempt to add some jump-through platforms in the mid-ground using existing colours.

Don't know if this is visually confusing.
Probably needs some more consideration to make the platforms more readable, probably by better use of moss and vegetation...

Not sure what you could do with the background atm, out of time right now.  :yell:

Offline wolfenoctis

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: October 17, 2013, 11:35:36 am
Sweet edit Decroded  :y:

I added some variations to the trees using your edit, makes the scene more interesting  :D

Really rough but I hope it helps the op.
Edit: huh, my colors changed for some reason, weird, ignore them please. Nevermind.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 04:21:00 pm by wolfenoctis »

Offline Sohei

• View Profile

Reply #10 on: October 21, 2013, 05:02:58 am
Great thread, useful for me too.
Bit of an attempt to add some jump-through platforms in the mid-ground using existing colours.

Don't know if this is visually confusing.
Probably needs some more consideration to make the platforms more readable, probably by better use of moss and vegetation...
Not sure what you could do with the background atm, out of time right now.  :yell:
This is wow. I never thought it could look this amazing. I'm taking the whole concept into development. No words to thank you enough.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 05:19:04 am by Sohei »