AuthorTopic: Game Tileset Help  (Read 3195 times)

Offline FRAWG

• Ribbit Ribbit
    • View Profile

Game Tileset Help

on: October 10, 2013, 08:44:28 pm
So I have been working on a little platformer for a while, and it's been so long since I have visited the site that when I checked it today, I felt like the community may be able to help me work on my aesthetic a little bit.

So the characters are square for purely sentimental reasons, as it's a remake of the very first original game I ever started working on, and, at the time, I was bad with bounding boxes, so everything was made of squares. Still, I think I could use some help here.

The player is the yellow guy, npc is grey, enemy is red.
Some of the tiles are either mistakes or have not yet been worked on very much.

OH! An important note I remembered, ther two bluish layers in the background are layers that have some parallax scrolling for depth (and the white in the corner is an area I haven't quite worked on yet, oops), so their positioning is a bit varied by player positioning, and the sky looks something like this:

Offline Ichigo Jam

• View Profile

Re: Game Tileset Help

Reply #1 on: October 11, 2013, 12:58:07 pm
I think the contrast on the ruins in the background is too high compared to the foreground

Edit:

Also, it would help if you could break up the grid more - both the white brick tiles in the background and the foreground earth repeat rather obviously.

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #2 on: October 11, 2013, 08:24:22 pm
tileset and background is really well done. I'd just strongly suggest to avoid those isolated black pixels in the top line of the grass: there is no reason not to use dark-green instead.

It's a bit odd to see that near-white square grid on the background wall.

Using some 3/4 perspective on the boxed entities could make them more interesting to drawn and look at, and still keep their nostalgic square look.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 08:27:51 pm by PypeBros »

Offline Eiyeron

• Pixel on a calc.
    • View Profile
    • Rétro-Actif : French blog about games and programming.

Reply #3 on: October 14, 2013, 09:16:54 am
I tired for you to remove black outines on some of your sprites. I think you should avoir black outline as it make a visual separation.

EDIT : Oops, Grafx2 saved as a animated gif ><"'

Offline AlcopopStar

• View Profile
    • https://ramheadedgirl.com/folio/

Reply #4 on: October 14, 2013, 01:11:36 pm
I think the black outlines are cute actually. I think it's more a stylistic choice then anything. 

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #5 on: October 14, 2013, 01:59:15 pm
I would overlap the sprites with the ground more, so that it looks as if they are actually on the ground, not kinda hovering. You can do this by either moving them behind the ground layer or by changing their actual art, that frames where they touch the ground do not have any outline at the bottom.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.