AuthorTopic: [C+C]Circular House  (Read 3273 times)

Offline Eiyeron

• Pixel on a calc.
    • View Profile
    • Rétro-Actif : French blog about games and programming.

[C+C]Circular House

on: October 09, 2013, 06:46:16 pm
Hi everyone! I just want to show you something I made yesterday:

I wanted, a night, to draw something, like a barrel. I started with a cylinder,  extruded the top and bottom rings, and the rest came to me naturally : a house. ^^

I have a big experience with calculator programming, so the first version was naturally in black in white. Yesterday, I had a crazy idea: how it would look with some colors? I took the Dawnbringer 32 palette (I'm not really great at finding palettes, so I took the one I liked the most), and presto, wooden circular house. :D

I would like to know what's your mind about this house, and what could I improve. I was surpised how the result looked beyond the expectations, I expected myself to fail at colouring it, throw the result, and forget it forever...  :-X
Thanks and have a nice day!

Offline roaringtides

• View Profile

Re: [C+C]Circular House

Reply #1 on: October 09, 2013, 08:11:08 pm
Hey!

One thing you could do is add some more shading. For example if you chose a light source at the top left you could keep most of the roof the lighter brown except for the far left side and the shadow that would be cast by the chimney. You could then keep the top of the walls dark since the roof casts a shadow on that part, and make the right side of the house darker.

I would also add the wood plank texture to the roof.

Other than that awesome job. I really like the style :) You should make a town in this style. Maybe fish live there? :P
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 08:16:37 pm by roaringtides »

Offline Eiyeron

• Pixel on a calc.
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: October 14, 2013, 07:36:35 am
Hi!

I see more or less what you want me to do. Let's try something like this! Thanks for your suggestions  :)

EDIT : Here is an attempt. I'm less satisfied with the monochome version this time.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 08:08:29 am by Eiyeron »

Offline PixelPiledriver

• Yo!
    • View Profile
    • My Blog

Reply #3 on: October 14, 2013, 05:30:57 pm
Here's some quick thoughts:

And knowing that it is, we seek what it is... ~ Aristotle, Posterior Analytics, Chapter 1

Offline Eiyeron

• Pixel on a calc.
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: October 14, 2013, 06:25:53 pm
Woh that's quite impressive. I have more work in front of me so.

Getting the chimney out of the ceiling is a good idea! Didn't thought of that! You successfully added some details I had been struggling to manage. Well done!

So, should I take off the plank texture to uniformize the walls? I should work on it next time I can. Thanks for the better version!

A questiom: what's the line in the ceiling?

EDIT : Tried to adapt your ideas:
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 08:26:40 am by Eiyeron »

Offline PixelPiledriver

• Yo!
    • View Profile
    • My Blog

Reply #5 on: October 15, 2013, 09:57:03 pm
A questiom: what's the line in the ceiling?
You mentioned a barrel in your post so I was thinking of the roof as lid.

That edit is looking better.
The windows could feel a bit more recessed by using some of the other colors you have.
And knowing that it is, we seek what it is... ~ Aristotle, Posterior Analytics, Chapter 1

Offline Eiyeron

• Pixel on a calc.
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: October 16, 2013, 05:37:44 am
Right PixelDriver! But with ideas changing here and there, I forgot to make really a house from a barrel! :p
I decided to use a trunk slide as roof, because I wasn't comfortable with planks at the top.
I wasn't sure of the lid because there were green pixels in the lines, and that made me wonder why. But with some thoughts, yes, that is well thought.
Recessed? Why not?

EDIT : I updated a little my house, and tried grass. I didn't succed making the grass, so I cheated and edited a texture from Rudora no Hihou. I feel bad about it and I would like to make my own. I followed a lot of tutorials about that thing, but I didn't got a decent result... DO you have some tips to make the grass better?
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 12:17:59 pm by Eiyeron »