AuthorTopic: Forest Tiles  (Read 5011 times)

Offline imnumberfour

• View Profile

Forest Tiles

on: October 14, 2013, 08:15:11 pm
This is my first foray into a more detailed tileset. Never really attempted a tree before so I hope my first proper try is alright. Everything is obviously inspired by beetlekings work which was constantly used as reference; I still tried to make mine have a slightly different (hopefully softer) style.

All the sprite-work is finished (except from your guys' critique) but the scene as a whole is entirely WIP. I've not even got a layout.

Offline AlcopopStar

• View Profile
    • https://ramheadedgirl.com/folio/

Re: Forest Tiles

Reply #1 on: October 15, 2013, 03:29:48 am
The shading on those tree is coming across as a bit pillowy. Try making the light source somewhat directional (top and slightly right would be most typical). beyond that everything else is looking pretty nice, although the structure of the tree, with the middle bunch of leaves being indented like they are, looks a bit strange, maybe try treating it more as a coherent whole then a series of seven clusters of leaves.

Offline imnumberfour

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: October 15, 2013, 02:43:02 pm
Perhaps?

Offline dekutree64

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: October 16, 2013, 06:57:16 am
The overall style looks good, but that middle leaf clump needs to be bigger than the others, so it pops forward rather than looking indented.

Offline Millefeuille

• kaleidoscopic turns in my heart that burns
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: October 16, 2013, 07:46:26 am
For your style of tree it can help to think of a sphere being lit by a single light. Imagine how that light would build highlights and shadows and ultimately work that into your tree piece. Right now there are dark shadows all around the edges, save for the foliage clump at the top. This is creating that pillow-shaded impression another was talking about...

There is also this very abrupt shift in hue in your darkest shade which isn't really present elsewhere. I understand what look you were going for, but drop the saturation way down. It's not really working to your best interests.

I made some quick changes to demonstrate a direction you could go in, but please don't rely on it as a 100% accurate lighting model.

Edit: Here is also a somewhat unrelated lighting setup that you could use to help you think of your tree's light distribution in terms of spherical..

ganbatte kudasai!!
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 07:56:04 am by Millefeuille »

Offline imnumberfour

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: October 18, 2013, 06:47:17 pm
Hopefully fixed some things!

I was also wondering if the pallet was too bland?

Offline Voxxitronic

• It's an adjective.
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: October 19, 2013, 03:06:09 am
Just a little. Your stuff is great, though. Keep it up  ;)

Offline r1k

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: October 21, 2013, 07:16:08 am
I would use a more irregularlly shaped shadow, like this

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: October 22, 2013, 03:14:06 am
Yeah or let the disruption of the shape clearly imply large clumps of grass as well as small texture to imply blades.
and dont put any of ur brightest shades in or too close to the shadow.

Offline imnumberfour

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: October 23, 2013, 07:04:35 pm
This has gotten so much help! Great community over here.
I am back from my trip but am completely knackered. However, I have half term/GCSE study break from friday onwards so I have time to pixel.