AuthorTopic: Dancing Game [WIP] [C+C]  (Read 5051 times)

Offline VinceBetteridge

• View Profile
    • Vince's Blog

Dancing Game [WIP] [C+C]

on: October 06, 2013, 02:22:24 am
Hello everyone,

This is the first animation in a new game I have started working on. All pixel art I post here is for a game about characters who dance. These characters will have about 10-12 animations each and I don't have anything set in stone yet. I would love any critiques you guys have about the current state of any pixel art I have on here so feel free to tell me what I may be doing wrong.  The limitations are to fit all characters within 32 px wide by 48 px tall.

Edit: Here are the latest versions of all animations.

OP:

This first character is a fat fire elemental. I wanted to get away from the stereotypical elemental body shape and also use a body type that would be enjoyable to watch dance.

If you are interested in other pixel art I have done feel free to check out my tumblr. http://digitaltruth.tumblr.com/
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 05:36:56 am by VinceBetteridge »

Offline YellowLime

• View Profile
    • Sour Pixels

Re: Dancing Game [WIP] [C+C]

Reply #1 on: October 06, 2013, 10:45:49 am
The lower parts of the legs feel stuck to the floor, the "inertia" should reach lower than it currently is...

The torso looks messy, since there are darker blobs that seem to be there without rhyme or reason. If the body is also going to be "fire in motion" (like a lava lamp, for example), you should animate those blobs upwards. (But I think this is not the case)

If instead the body is going to be "static" and "opaque", then you should remove those blobs, and maybe put them again in more justified positions: either representing folds in the skin or shadows cast on (although since it's supposed to be a incandescent body, it doesn't make much sense that it would have shadows)

The arms look weird, especially his left one. It looks too thin and bendy.

The face and head are fine by me  :y:

Offline numlock

• View Profile
    • my blog

Reply #2 on: October 06, 2013, 08:43:23 pm

This is not that good but I think you need lots of particle animation with that shaky/vibrating flame look.

Offline VinceBetteridge

• View Profile
    • Vince's Blog

Reply #3 on: October 07, 2013, 06:53:52 am
Thank you for the feed back YellowLime and numlock.

I took both of your critiques into consideration and updated the animation. I still don't think it is quite where I want it to be, but I need a break from staring at it.

Offline VinceBetteridge

• View Profile
    • Vince's Blog

Reply #4 on: October 15, 2013, 04:55:05 am
I have a new animation added to the repertoire. This one is still in the rough stages, but I feel like it is good enough for feedback now.

I am wondering if any of you guys have tips on animation work flow. I use Photoshop to animate right now, but I am open to any program if it helps.

Offline jams0988

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: October 15, 2013, 07:55:18 pm
Download Graphics Gale. Then check out PixelPileDriver's blog posts about all its delicious secrets. It's got much easier pixel animation work flow than Photoshop, imo.

Offline VinceBetteridge

• View Profile
    • Vince's Blog

Reply #6 on: October 16, 2013, 04:53:09 am
Thank you jams0988. I have downloaded it, but haven't got up the nerve to learn new software yet. I appreciate pointing me towards a tutorial. I did manage to give that a quick look today.

Small update from yesterday's post. A little bit of clean up and emphasis on motion. Any and all critiques are welcome. ;)

Hey all,

I am back with another animation. Let me know if this whole luminous body thing is working.

This is the low dodge animation :3

I modified the duck/butt bounce animation as well.

« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 05:34:38 am by VinceBetteridge »