AuthorTopic: Problem with isometric tiles...  (Read 9351 times)

Offline Matriax

• View Profile
    • MATRIAX PIXEL GRAPHICS

Problem with isometric tiles...

on: July 13, 2006, 09:06:06 am
The image:

Well in the first you can se a plataform of tiles, simple, but in the second if i put a "cube tile" over the plataform generate a rare efect you can see.

How i can solve it ¿?

C+C plz.

Offline miascugh

• Schnitzelfiend
    • View Profile

Re: Problem with isometric tiles...

Reply #1 on: July 13, 2006, 09:33:20 am
well, usually this is solved by using outlines for anything that protrudes from the surrounding plane. how tiles would have to look to get that effect done nicely i don't know, i've never tried. you could also use different colors for different heightlevels. like your baselevel is blue, level 1 green, and level 2 could be pink, 3 yellow, red, violet and so on, depending on what look you're going for

Offline Matriax

• View Profile
    • MATRIAX PIXEL GRAPHICS

Reply #2 on: July 13, 2006, 10:28:41 am
First thanks for the comments miascugh,

Well i make this proof:

Can be a solve the method you said, but well i dont like very much(but if this que unique well, i finally will make this :) )

This graphics, tiles , etc.. are for a mobile game:

Is only a preview, and i not knows if the dimensions of the tileset is correct etc... by this the tiles are "low busy" XD . I making all the maps posibles to find problems how this.

I put any tiles if anybody would edit o make proofs to find a solution, etc..

c+c plz

Offline miascugh

• Schnitzelfiend
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: July 13, 2006, 10:56:08 am
nah, i meant to outline only those edges that don't connect to anything else, that  are "hanging in the air" so to speak (which is why i thought it might be tricky to get that effect with a minimum of unique tiles. maybe with a seperate layer for the outlines only that is automatically created by the engine or something), but you're right, that just wouldn't go very well with the style.
i'm pretty sure you can succesfully avoid this optical illusion through clever use of differently colored blocks. if you pull it off consistently the player gets a feel for it anyways

Offline artisan

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: July 13, 2006, 11:14:34 am
what i would do is make the height of the cubes a bit shorter so they arnet exact cubes. this was you can see some of the tiles behind so you can tell its higher
"Im the BATMAN" - the riddler

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: July 13, 2006, 11:56:27 am
Maybe shading to give depth?

EDIT: I noticed that shading wasn't solving other problems. So yes, outlining seems the way to go.

« Last Edit: July 13, 2006, 12:00:13 pm by Dusty »

Offline artisan

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: July 13, 2006, 12:15:41 pm
i think its suposed to be like this... js edited dustys a bit

"Im the BATMAN" - the riddler

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: July 13, 2006, 12:27:28 pm
Well, that just proves that it can indeed make it hard to see the intended structure. :)

EDIT: I saw you said you didn't want to use outlines, I honestly can't think of any other way other than very clever shading, which I don't think is going to be possible as it looks like you're going with very simplistic tiles.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2006, 12:42:29 pm by Dusty »

Offline AndyT

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: July 13, 2006, 01:36:52 pm
Why do you use cubes as blocks like that? Probably that's why most iso-engines use half the height for one block.
Maybe use a different ratio ... for example a 3:4 if you want a unique feel.

Offline Matriax

• View Profile
    • MATRIAX PIXEL GRAPHICS

Reply #9 on: July 13, 2006, 01:51:11 pm
About the diferent outlines, you need understand that all is made by tiles, isometric cube tiles, etc..

I saw you said you didn't want to use outlines, I honestly can't think of any other way other than very clever shading, which I don't think is going to be possible as it looks like you're going with very simplistic tiles.

Yes but i also said, if this is the unique form to solve this problem i wil be use.

AndyT,
Why do you use cubes as blocks like that?

¿?sorry i not understand you ¿?  ???

Probably that's why most iso-engines use half the height for one block.
Maybe use a different ratio ... for example a 3:4 if you want a unique feel.

Sorry i can't understand you, you said i no need make "perfect isometric cubes" i need make a raio 3:4 for solve this problem ¿?  ???

And this is of the gba game in isometric uses outlines:

And this is an image of marble madnes uses similar tiles etc..:
http://www.teaser.fr/~amajorel/marble/marble-all.png

My game is a combination of this, and arcade, you need solve puzzles(sokoban type), get keys, push bottoms, and you can change the state of the ball (solid, bouncing, buble), and you can broken "ice cubes" when you hace the solid state etc...

If i cant solve this, i simply try to evite this situations in the levels, to appears the minimun as possible.