AuthorTopic: Can you tell who this is?  (Read 2612 times)

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Can you tell who this is?

on: September 28, 2013, 05:21:38 am

Some bits are still a bit rough and background isn't done but crits appreciated as always.

Tried tightening up the composition but don't really like how it came out.

Probably need to try some colour variations now.
I don't think the shirt colour is helping with the association.
And someone told me the skin was too orange :mean:
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 05:40:08 am by Decroded »

Offline Vermolius

• View Profile

Re: Can you tell who this is?

Reply #1 on: September 28, 2013, 05:41:49 am
Riddick?

If so, you should probably have the goggles off his eyes. He wears them to blot out light, not to help him see in the darkness. On that note, he tends to have eyes that glow in the dark. Maybe you can use that to make him more easily recognizable.

Offline Facet

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: September 28, 2013, 12:22:59 pm
Riddick?
Deffo

Scribbles:

1. Colour edit: light didn't feel very dramatic, very Riddick, found a nice lighting ref here to pull from

2. Lighting/pose: thought he was kinda doing the running man, could be more menacing, subtle with arms/blades back, turned expendable merc to look at viewer like he's aware of us and maybe he thought he heard something. Lit merc up properly (supposed to be uplighting) so he's less mysterious; you can empathise with him more, and for nice value/colour contrast.

3. Small comp tweaks: put him higher in the frame for a better sense of dominance, culled dead space to the side, now more aligned to thirds. You could experiment more there probably.

Agree on the green shirt, I think orange skin is a lighting thing; it's not very clear where the white light (on Riddick's front) is coming from in the original, I say keep the goggles (nice & distinctive) by lighting up the interior more.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 07:13:33 pm by Facet »

Offline Mr. Fahrenheit

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: September 28, 2013, 12:51:39 pm
As Facet said, the lighting on the guy on the right makes no sense. If he's being lit from the back it would be more white like Riddick is shaded. It also seems like you might want to add a splash of color rather then just orange to him.