AuthorTopic: Game Development  (Read 6719 times)

Offline A2J2TIWARI

• a2j2emerald
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/38048.htm
    • View Profile
    • Art of Aastikya Tiwari

Game Development

on: September 25, 2013, 09:50:23 pm
Hello guys,

I am here once again to ask few(might turn into many) questions. This time it's regarding game development. I prospered as an artist from BYOND and developed few games there but now I want to move on to some other gaming community and software that is free for game development.

I do not know any free gaming engine to create RPG games and thus I would like you guys to give me information about them. I am just an okay artist, I have no knowledge of programming, in any language and thus I would require a programmer as well. So please help me out finding such engines, and giving me some information about them like how to start, how it functions, how I can get team members for game creation etc.

Sincere Thanks
Love Carnage?: Download Epok Now!
My Work
PonjiRo Now Available on Android: Download PonjiRo

Offline PixelPiledriver

• Yo!
    • View Profile
    • My Blog

Re: Game Development

Reply #1 on: September 25, 2013, 09:55:57 pm
Unity is very cool but takes some time to learn.
The documentation is decent enough.
The forums for it are active and most every question you might have has been answered if you search hard enough.
I find it preferable to do everything from scratch but there is plenty of code floating around the internet and some built in stuff.
But I can't personally recommend any specifically.

http://unity3d.com/
http://unity3d.com/learn/documentation
http://docs.unity3d.com/Documentation/ScriptReference/index.html
http://udn.unity3d.com/
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 10:00:59 pm by PixelPiledriver »
And knowing that it is, we seek what it is... ~ Aristotle, Posterior Analytics, Chapter 1

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: September 26, 2013, 12:42:09 am
Theres always, y'know, RPG maker :p. Great for 2D stuff, and good ( or sometimes they don't even have to be good, as long as they deal with horror) games can gain a little cult following. Ib, mad doctor, the crooked man to name a few.

Game maker is great for beginners as well.

Offline A2J2TIWARI

• a2j2emerald
    • View Profile
    • Art of Aastikya Tiwari

Reply #3 on: September 26, 2013, 08:09:35 am
Thanks for responses guys but I think I have to put more info. I am planning to develop an MMO, maybe not too large scale but yeah... Also I have do not know programming, at all and thats why I plan to have a programmer who agrees to profit sharing.

@PixelPileDriver: So will Unity be able to create such a game? From what I know Unity is a 3d game development software right? However let me check the links first...

@Ryumaru: Is RPGmaker a paid software? If so, I cant have it because for some reason my credit cant link to paypal and I cant send money :(
My Work

Offline tcaud

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: October 09, 2013, 01:49:56 am
Use BYOND.

Wait you said you just came from there... ah how about Arianne?

Offline yrizoud

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: October 09, 2013, 09:41:26 am
Sorry to pop your bubble but this is totally unrealistic. A coder needs years of experience before he can start such task, and then spend a year to create a not-too-buggy online RPG game engine. After that you still have to create an actual world and adventure on top of it. Then you try to find people to play it. If it's not a free game, expect 100x less players, easily.

Now if you want to "do something", consider proposing your help to a team that already exists, has already created a working game (engine AND world), and already has regular players. It's infinitely more likely that what your efforts will have any result.
Off the top of my head, I know for example "The Mana World", never played it but it's been around for quite a few years, so they must know what they're doing.

Offline A2J2TIWARI

• a2j2emerald
    • View Profile
    • Art of Aastikya Tiwari

Reply #6 on: November 09, 2013, 09:33:36 am
Okay I tried them all, even many more engines like Stencyl, GameMaker, Construct2 etc etc, but all of them require programming and for that shit, I cant even create any game, even small one!

Do you guys know any of the engines that doesnt require programming so that I can create my game ideas(mini games)? I dont want to rely on anyone because whenever I do, the game many a times dies.. I am fed up of this!
My Work

Offline Kasumi

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: November 09, 2013, 11:20:34 am
I don't really see Construct 2 requiring programming. I've never used Stencyl, but it appears about the same. The type of logic a lot of this stuff needs is not really something that's easy to avoid when creating games. RPG Maker (Yes, I understand you'll have issues with purchasing it) might get as close as you want? But from what I understand if you want to do things more complicated than walk around/talk to people/random battles, (like events and whatnot) you still have to script stuff. (Apologies if I'm wrong about that, I haven't messed with it for very long.) Anything the engine doesn't directly support, you do without. It's not fun to work in confines like that.

Something I truly believe is that the time people spend looking for ways to "not have to" learn things could be much better spent just learning them. I started my game making journey with The Games Factory (now discontinued, but has successors I liked less), which is an awful lot like Construct 2. I constantly fought against all the built in TGF mechanics with plugins and doodads, until I finally just learned to really program. Interestingly, the thing I needed that I thought The Games Factory couldn't do is totally possible in it. I just wasn't experienced enough to come up with the logic for how to do it.

but all of them require programming and for that shit, I cant even create any game, even small one!
This is so self-defeating!

Pick any of these programs and stick to it for a month like the month you've already spent searching. At the very least tell us what things are too programmy for you, so we can help you understand them or at least make informed suggestions instead of just guessing.
I make actual NES games. Thus, I'm the unofficial forum dealer of too much information about the NES

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35207.htm
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Reply #8 on: November 09, 2013, 02:53:04 pm
There will always be some form of "programming", Game maker uses some kind of trigger/event system, sorta the same in RPG maker.

You need to learn those systems to be able to make a game, there's no shortcut and there's no easy way to do it.
You just have to do it.

Creating an MMO is way out of your scope, judging from your skillset and experience.
Everyone wants to make an MMO, but few realizes how big a task it really is, it takes years of development where you spend your days working constantly.

Offline tcaud

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: November 09, 2013, 03:07:40 pm
Stick with BYOND. It's been getting much better over the past couple years. There are other online RPG engines (Secret of Mana-type stuff).  A bunch of spin-offs from a single effort from ten years back, if I recall...