AuthorTopic: GR#156 - Gothic Dieselpunk - Gameart  (Read 55062 times)

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/32234.htm
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage

Re: Gothic Dieselpunk

Reply #90 on: January 14, 2014, 05:38:13 pm
Thanks for the great input since the last post.

What I did this time:
-edited the values of the stairs that they fit in the lighting scenario
-unified the overall backlight values
-worked on the contrasts of the metal parts (they are a lot darker now and should fit in better with the general lighting)
-edited some paerts of the streets and made some more variations (also some with straight cobbles now, to break up the crooked iimpression, but keep it)
-edited some detail stuff at the house
-added some water puddles (new for the style, so I am not to sure about those)
-also seperated the blue from the street and the green from the walls a bit more (hue change of about 30 - it's better now, but still too subtle?)
-changed some details for the paveway grids (have more form now)
-changed the lantern design
-added some newspaper to the street

light stuff (window reflection) and light layer are still missing.

@Mr. Fahrenheit: THe style for the objects was designed in a way to lead the eye clearly through the graphics and make sure what's passable area, what are walls (height differences) and what are objects hindering you to proceed.
However I want to keep outlines for objects, mainly to get the same feeling early animation films have.

@Cels:
Water, yeah thought about this a while ago and forgot to add it. Tested a style for it within the newest version.
The whole horror look is still from very early designs were nothing was straight and all looked more than "Alice in Wonderworld". However I abandoned that idea quite a while ago and going now for a more technical impression. However I think it's nice to keep it a bit more organic here and there - I don't want to be too stiff.
The lighting scenario is constant twilight, the used colors are picked carefully -> see Facet
lantern -> see Lijj

@Lijj:
The time in the game is 1920-1960 now. Means there won't be any steam technology around any more, aside in museums and some steampunkish architectural parts which survived.
However the city has a bright history, so it had a gothic era, a steampunk era and now it's Dieselpunk era (otto-motors and electricity yay). So the newest architectonical things (like the metal fences and the hydrants) have different style aesthetics than the medieval architecture of the core-part of the city which is illustrated in the mockup.

@Facet:
I am just doing what I like and putting in all the stuff I love - so I am trying to create something unique and personal.
I edited the hues for the street/wall seperation a bit more hope that's enough. TOne in grayscale seemed fine to me. If you have a better idea feel free to share.

The basic idea of the look is that it should be like an animated disney movie with watercolor-feeling background, so all objects you can interact with somehow (obstacles, stuff to observe, characters...) will be drawn with outlines.
The main thing is that both characters share complimentary colors - while Gregory is the character who wants to be part of the world as it is, Creya wants to stand out.
Means the world itself should definitely be a oppressive dark place, the only "magic" so to say is light and luminous stuff like water - main thing is that this parts are also should only have cool colors. Creya is the revolutionary character and the troublemaker. Red color will be used for dangerous, exciting and important stuff. Since Greg also had his experiences with fire,an absence of red and warmth is also deeply involved in the lore ideas.
If your ideas are going along with that, sure go on and show me how to solve it better - I will consider it.

I also finally worked on the conversation system which I originally planned for the mockup. I want to animate the typewriter later on, that it actually really writes, but since it#s completely new I wanted to look for feedback first.
Character distance is fine for widescreen? or do they need to be moved closer together?
And yeah, bg is darkened and uses a softness filter. I can live with that - since it adjusts the focus to the most important thing - the characters.

dunno if anyone is interested in the lore, but if one is, here are some more informations.
I think I can give them out now, since the mockup is quite far processed.

Gothic Dieselpunk – Concept Mockup

The paradoxical story of an ex-special task force firemage, who was nearly burned to death, and an ambitious woman who runs a whorehouse in a patriarchal empire.

Sir Gregory McZach:
Imbued with great natural talent, he was one of the top soldiers of the Imperial armed forces a few years prior. He is the lone survivor of an elite task force which was utterly destroyed in a catastrophic mission and seriously wounded Greg, who barely survived the incident. His body was all but destroyed, he lost his left eye, his left arm (including his main casting hand), most of his left leg and third degree burns on the entire left side of his broken body.

Despite his terrible wounds he managed to survive the ordeal and made headlines in all the newspapers. He was knighted and promoted to the rank of general at the age of 32 years, which would have made him the youngest general in the army if not for his immediate forced retirement. The state also showered him with wealth and declared him a war hero.

Despite the honours and newfound wealth, however, Greg fell into a deep depression and became an alcoholic. He felt useless, his life without purpose and he desperatelly wanted nothing more than to become a normal member of society again.

Creya Vanderbühl:
A woman who always swam against the current of society and wanted nothing to do with the popular view of women as baby-factories. She has a flair for the dramatic, she loves publicity and expresses her personality in the most provocative and controversial way. Her favourite saying goes "There is no such thing as bad publicity", and publicity is the tool she will use to conquer the empire with her business.

At 26 years of age she owns her own business called "The Busty Mermaid".This is where she met Gregory, one day he stumbled into her establishment, drunk as usual, and she saw in him an opportunity for more publicity she could ever dream of. The only problem is Greg's highly fluctuating physical condition.

Schreibwerk:
Luthandorius Schreibwerk reformed religion from monotheism back to polytheism several hundred years ago, and his reformation still plays a huge part in daily life and all aspects of society. The current state of the religion is by it's definition humanistic, respectful of all live and nature, which puts it in conflict with the Imperialistic pro-war state.

The "Schreibwerk " company is one of the largest and most influential independent companies of the world and is directly supported by the church. As such the company holds many monopolies in data management, education, the arts, printing and advertisement. Schreibwerk's Logo is the all-seeing eye of Argus, many deities are used in idolistic works of art and industry, like the fire hydrant, designed in honour of Dagon.

Give Crow free cookies for the spoiler code =)
"Because the beauty of the human body is that it hasn't a single muscle which doesn't serve its purpose; that there's not a line wasted; that every detail of it fits one idea, the idea of a man and the life of a man."

Dev-Art
Twitter

Offline cels

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/32715.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #91 on: January 14, 2014, 07:10:22 pm
I'm impressed with how much thought and good taste you've put into the universe, the visual style and the way these two influence each other. Very interesting setting. Anyway, right off the bat:
- All of your changes are an improvement, I think
- I like the way the water looks, but in my eyes it looks better with slightly lower saturation and more towards cyan/green. Right now, I feel the blue draws too much attention. Against the green-grey background, it looks almost purple to me.
- I personally would have gone with a low contrast filter instead of a softness filter, if only for the sake of preserving the pretty pixel art look. But that's just me.
- Only just noticed that there's a shadow mismatch between the characters and their surroundings. Don't know if you've explained that already.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 09:18:52 pm by cels »

Offline sevinkydink

• View Profile

Reply #92 on: January 14, 2014, 08:33:09 pm
Wow - this looks great.  I really like the gritty feel and the way you're using the colors to portray so much emotion and feeling.  The city to me seems a little clean - I don't know if that's intentional or maybe just my perspective.

On your conversation dialog I wonder how something like styling them type writer letters would look OR something like a slot machine that loads the name when the portrait slides in.

Awesome stuff though, very inspiring!

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage

Reply #93 on: January 16, 2014, 01:39:06 am

started with animating the typewriter, maybe it needs to be fastened to 200% if it actually writes the letters out (but it's already down to 20ms/frame ...)

Cels:
already edited the water and various other stuff - same goes for the char's shadows (since they are so short now it works, otherwise this causes clipping issues with layers if you are running next to a wall)
"Because the beauty of the human body is that it hasn't a single muscle which doesn't serve its purpose; that there's not a line wasted; that every detail of it fits one idea, the idea of a man and the life of a man."

Dev-Art
Twitter

Offline ||||

• The brand with four stripes
    • llll_lijj
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/new_icons.asp?owner=30996&ob=search&dosearch=1
    • Lijj
    • View Profile
    • rawbetty.com

Reply #94 on: January 16, 2014, 03:38:22 am
I can't praise this art enough. I really like the company logo on the typewriter; and that's just a good idea for the narration. :hehe: Maybe the character name font could be more 'vintage' like all caps with Serifs.. just a thought since that was commonly used in the era.
I just do not like the soft blur effect used to emphasize the dialogue and narration. how about just darkening it, and adding a gradient layer [with a pinlight effect] over it? I made a crappy dithered ( as in color reduced) layer to show what I mean just as a rough example:

..I darkened it too much though

« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 03:51:07 am by |||| »

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage

Reply #95 on: January 17, 2014, 12:57:16 am
I suppose I will go with a bilinear gradient. Have to test this out.

Started with tedious animation building...

the last stone at Creyas name will show that she talks, next to a lip movement of the big sprite - maybe it would just be good to light up the talking sprite additionally

(seems not to work with 10ms/frame ... have to look for a solution)
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 12:59:49 am by Cyangmou »

Dev-Art
Twitter

Offline r4c7

• View Profile

Reply #96 on: January 17, 2014, 03:09:01 am

started with animating the typewriter, maybe it needs to be fastened to 200% if it actually writes the letters out (but it's already down to 20ms/frame ...)

Cels:
already edited the water and various other stuff - same goes for the char's shadows (since they are so short now it works, otherwise this causes clipping issues with layers if you are running next to a wall)
This feels like a better speed, maybe even snappier, especially if you are going to have it type something out. The elastic effect also looks really bad, imo. Its seems typewriters aren't designed for motion like that. Here is an example I searched up quick;http://footage.shutterstock.com/clip-113290-stock-footage-close-up-of-a-vintage-typewriter-with-the-words-p-s-i-love-you-native-audio-included.html. The real life examples I've looked at seem almost instantaneous, but I'm not that familiar with animation to tell you how fast or how many frames to make it. Don't forget that not all letters come from the center, too, there will be a slight offset!

I'm no typewriter engineer, but this is what I take from my observations.

Offline ||||

• The brand with four stripes
    • llll_lijj
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/new_icons.asp?owner=30996&ob=search&dosearch=1
    • Lijj
    • View Profile
    • rawbetty.com

Reply #97 on: January 17, 2014, 03:13:36 am
This is a complex dialogue system you're developing.

I suppose I will go with a bilinear gradient. Have to test this out.
I should have said I don't like the soft blur much...
and if the gradient doesn't work out no big deal. I think my example gradient looks bad but a lighter one would work.
The lighting up the character as they speak thing.. sounds good, I'm pretty neutral about it (it may not be necessary) but maybe others will have a stronger opinion on that.

The animation looks cool so far.. how many actual letter press animations are you thinking you'll do (obviously not 26 :p). I like the lighting and movement on the one so far.. such nice depth.
It's going to have to be much faster though right?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 03:16:20 am by |||| »

Offline wolfenoctis

• View Profile

Reply #98 on: January 17, 2014, 04:21:23 am
Hey, didnt change anything, just uploading the gif at the right speed (graphicsgale is awesome):

Love the animation and the name bars, good job  :y:

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage

Reply #99 on: January 18, 2014, 12:37:38 pm
@r4c7: animation was broken, because my gif saving seems not to work for speed faster than 50ms/frame  :-\

@wolfenoctis: means I have to get the full-version Graphicsgale as well in order to finish this, thanks for editing it to it's intended speed (looks exactly as in my anim-preview).

@Lijj: I just will keep this animation for typing, no variations for different letters - that would get by far to complex

Had shitloads of fun with animating their facial expressions - in terms of elements all the stuff for the final concept-mockup is finished.
Means that I just have to build the whole thing together now ;D

Creya cracks a joke and Greg's reaction:

« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 12:46:45 pm by Cyangmou »

Dev-Art
Twitter