AuthorTopic: GR#156 - Gothic Dieselpunk - Gameart  (Read 54536 times)

Offline wolfenoctis

• View Profile

Re: Sir Gregory & Creya (Dieselpunk?)

Reply #80 on: December 03, 2013, 02:56:40 pm
Some minor suggestions for the chrome (mainly the headlights, bumpers and grill):

Offline HezaKey

• *draws furiously*
    • hezakey
    • hezakey
    • View Profile

Reply #81 on: December 03, 2013, 06:16:21 pm
I didn't notice there was a second page and did an edit of the large sprites again.
Mostly it was bothering me that the girls outfit doesn't have any support for her breasts.  I looks like one boob is trying to exit stage right, and they're just kind of sitting there with no support.

I did a halfway with a more form fitting cup, and one that's more like an actual corset.  I also emphasized that the belts are curving around her torso, since they looked kind of flat earlier.

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/32234.htm
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage

Reply #82 on: December 03, 2013, 09:12:41 pm
Thanks for all the help so far to everyone, I really appreciate it that all of you are taking so much time for writing answers  :-[
Stava was right, but I don't got his points quite from the beginning. The current version of the art should make it clear anyways  :)

@Night:
Yeah the lightsource is always a problem. for sprites it's better to have the castshadow directly beneath them, otherwise it will cause problems with walls. The light will never work 100% right within tile-based games - I think it's more important that the forms are clear and well described.
In your example char 1 is correct and has a nice contrast, while sprite 2 describes some forms much better. I'd go with a mixed approach and rather take some artistical issues with lighting than issues which a correct shadow would cause with game approaches.

@Milokey:
Thanks for your edit, but I don't work currently on the big chars. If I have to change them at a later point I might come back to it.

-worked on the car, change dminor detail stuff as suggested
-worked a bit more on the ground tiles, changed some colors and added a tad more color variations. Nonetheless there are quite some tiles missing.
-I designed some more props
     a deco tree (castshadow and some more bottom detailling is missing, also unsure if I should add branches in the foliage)
     a wastebin (castshadow seems to be to large right now compared to other stuff)
     a hydrant (I am quite happy with the design, I wonder if the color looks nice)

cast shadows for tree and lantern are currently missing, because I lack a good ideas how to solve them. For the lanterns I intend to add a light layer later on.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 09:18:17 pm by Cyangmou »
"Because the beauty of the human body is that it hasn't a single muscle which doesn't serve its purpose; that there's not a line wasted; that every detail of it fits one idea, the idea of a man and the life of a man."

Dev-Art
Twitter

Offline tim

• Founder of Odd Tales - Art Director
    • View Profile
    • Tim Soret - Showreel

Reply #83 on: December 03, 2013, 11:01:50 pm
You could try to blend everything a little more with proper lighting. Your image really lack of atmosphere & variation. Everything feels very flat and not really interesting to see. I think it's because you work your assets separately and then you try to assemble them, instead of working a whole composition and tying everything together.

Here is an edit, of course it's very rough and it can be a lot more beautiful if refined.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 11:03:52 pm by tim »
Founder of Odd Tales
Art Director - Game Director - Game designer - Motion designer

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #84 on: December 04, 2013, 01:58:08 pm
i havent read everything but i dont like how it just happens the kerb zig-zags in repeatedly. we need some straighter sections also which can perhaps be broken up by some angled bits.

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/32234.htm
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage

Re: Gothic Dieselpunk

Reply #85 on: January 09, 2014, 02:11:26 am
Since I have found some time between jobs I proceeded with a lot of tile stuff and worked a bit more on the big characters. Depending on my time situation there might come more soon.
For now I am just showcasing a mockup and the big sprites with some adjusted facial expressions.

@tim: yeah I will do that - but I wil luse "dirty pixel techniques" like layer blend mode and gradient overlays (how evil...) - like every modern retro inspired indie pixel art game does. I won't say that I work on my assets seperately, but I work on them as "connected" as you can work with tiles - and correct constructed lighting isn't an option if the priority is multi-usability.
It's designed to be used highly efficient as game graphics and I want to avoid single used tiles as much as possible later on.
My light layer will do later on what your edit shows, big thanks for it anyways, helps me a lot for envisioning it atm =)

Not to sure how I will handle light reflections atm - needs some testing I suppose.

@decroded: agree, more variation is always nice.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 02:13:16 am by Cyangmou »
"Because the beauty of the human body is that it hasn't a single muscle which doesn't serve its purpose; that there's not a line wasted; that every detail of it fits one idea, the idea of a man and the life of a man."

Dev-Art
Twitter

Offline Mr. Fahrenheit

• View Profile

Reply #86 on: January 09, 2014, 02:28:22 am
To me, a lot of the objects you have strewn around your mockup seem to be in quite a different style then the ground and wall tiles. Your ground tiles are fairly low contrast, dirty but smooth, well aa'ed, not geometrically perfect, and less detailed. Many of these techniques I presume were done like this for a reason, to make it obvious that they are not tiles that are interacted with. However, the objects like the light pole, fence, bench, and gate are all high contrast (reasonable), geometrically perfect ( :blind:), fairly clean ( maybe reasonable), and, on the the things with the ornate decoration, seem to be dominated by the black outline that is depended upon to separate it from the background. I feel like simplifying those designs would both lend it to the style and help out with the overall quality of the art. I think using the techniques you are already using, you dont particularly need those outlines to define the object, a shadow and contrast from the ground tiles should be plenty.

Offline cels

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/32715.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #87 on: January 09, 2014, 02:53:47 am
I really love this, the style is amazing.

For what it's worth...
... I agree with decroded, I don't like the curb zig-zags. I very much appreciate what you're trying to do here, but I think you've exaggerated it so that it becomes reminiscent of children's horror animations (no offense), where lines are always hilariously crooked. I think it would look better if the lines looked unintentionally crooked, to reflect wear & tear or poor materials, rather than a design choice.
... I disagree with Mr. Fahrenheit in regards to the outlines and simplification of objects. Indeed, I feel the lamp stands out as not being gothic / steampunk enough, perhaps. I for one appreciate the use of outlines, as other steampunk themed games often have a fairly noisy look.
... I quite like what I presume to be moonlight.
... I personally have a fetish for water in scenes like this. Small puddles, fountainheads, tiny streams of water in the gutter. It takes away from some of the clean look without adding trash and poop to the sidewalk.

Offline ||||

• The brand with four stripes
    • llll_lijj
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/new_icons.asp?owner=30996&ob=search&dosearch=1
    • Lijj
    • View Profile
    • rawbetty.com

Reply #88 on: January 09, 2014, 07:03:41 pm
This looks really great! I like the metal work a ton, especially that gate and the accents on the stone wall; it's exquisite.
One  critique I have is the secondary lighting, it is so strong on some objects while not on others. I like the design on most things (that car is  so awesome, the waste-basket is too).. the only design I don't like is the street lamp's.. I think the pole looks skinny, crooked, plain and the design on the top seems out of place. Plus gears are silly when they don't serve a function.. even though that's the best part of the lamp and it actually kinda works as a base. I think redoing the lamp completely would be a benefit.
I actually despise this personally; this isn't really anything to do with the piece but I've seen it on "steampunk" things too often.. "Just put a pointless gear on it and call it steam-punk." Just try to avoid that hehehe. like those silly hats you have probably seen on DA or that jewelry with poinless gears.. ugg (loathsome).

Offline Facet

• View Profile

Reply #89 on: January 12, 2014, 06:22:28 pm
Some ambitious stuff here, love the new short, luminous shadows.

I just wanted to call attention to the predominance of flat off-grey midtone and linework detailing in that mockup; I was drawn to the wall by the stairs for the softer, more tonal treatment and I think some hue/value differentiation between building and pavement or road would add a lot. Maybe you want quite a bleak, gritty street scene but it's something to keep an eye on.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 08:57:27 pm by Facet »