AuthorTopic: GR#156 - Gothic Dieselpunk - Gameart  (Read 54569 times)

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/32234.htm
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage

Re: Sir Gregory & Creya (Dieselpunk?)

Reply #70 on: December 01, 2013, 10:00:54 pm
current version we should be talking about is this one (edit 5)
worked additionally on some reflections, mainly the radiator grill.

But I'll also add in that it might be the shading what is giving me such a reading. How can we tell the metal curves on the farther end from us?

Depends, I don't know for this resolution which information you have to give and which information will be added by imagination.
Since round stuff seems to cause big problems (banding, limited colors etc) it might be better to leave all that small round curved stuff out in adventourous angles (even at this size).
Although the resolution is quite big it also seems that the restrictions given by the medium don't change compared to smaller res.
"Because the beauty of the human body is that it hasn't a single muscle which doesn't serve its purpose; that there's not a line wasted; that every detail of it fits one idea, the idea of a man and the life of a man."

Dev-Art
Twitter

Offline Stava

• View Profile

Reply #71 on: December 01, 2013, 10:39:13 pm
That's looking much better :y: but I still think that the left fender (if that's what it's called) above the wheel shouldn't be wider than the right one since the right one is closer and the left one is farther away

Offline HarveyDentMustDie

• I dream too much.
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art

Reply #72 on: December 01, 2013, 10:43:51 pm
I said that you should reconsider it, because you were decisive that Stava was wrong.

I disagree with a lot of points, you destroyed the barrel-formed front of the car and made it really flat. You also destroyed the radiator mascot.

So means that you have to try to wrap your head around the problem why the angles of both planes are different if you don't get it, because it's drawn right.

I can't prevent all reading errors caused by feeling.
   etc.

And if you ask question you shouldn't be angry, if the answer is not as you expected it to be.  :-\

Current version is much better, I like your design.  :)

Also if we "nitpick", I think that you can improve metal reflections in the part of the car around spare wheel.

Offline Night

• exidelo
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/26118.htm
    • Exidelo
    • View Profile

Reply #73 on: December 01, 2013, 11:49:22 pm
You have one unused colour on the mirrors, might wanna do something with it.  ;)

I think you should go for the more basic areas of light just to get the base right, would be easier to work with later on.
pretty bad edit, but I think it's good enough to help me with my point.

The problem with the hood in my opinion is that it goes from a line which goes to one direction, to a line that goes off to a different direction (as seen in this picture you posted: http://www.abload.de/img/car_editqcyvf.png)
There's not much you can do about it really, either just make the two lines parallel, or add two colours and bend them (like in my edit), and perhaps add some dithering just to smooth it out.
Additionally, the highlight on the hood doesn't seem too necessary honestly; gives kind of a more blocky look to it, which is what I guess made the impression that the hood is supposed to be flat.

Other then that, it seems to me that some of the highlights don't really have any apparent reason to be where they are, one area I edited which demonstrates that is that piece of metal above the front wheel (no idea what's it called).
I really don't see a reason for the two light reflections to be there, especially when you've got such a nicely placed edge there, where you could just stick any highlight to.
Same would go for the back wheel.

Just out of curiosity, is there a reason you choose to place the light source on the right side, slightly towards the player? Placing the light source from right above the player, overhead, would seem to be ideal; considering you won't have to alter how the animations look when the character goes right or left (or even north-east, north-west, etc.).
There is light at the end of the tunnel.

Offline wolfenoctis

• View Profile

Reply #74 on: December 02, 2013, 04:05:05 am
Some real life references:

Also I noticed that the one side of the bodywork covering the front wheels seem like its round while the other seems like its flat:

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/32234.htm
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage

Reply #75 on: December 03, 2013, 01:00:59 am
And if you ask question you shouldn't be angry, if the answer is not as you expected it to be.  :-\

There is no anger involved, just arguments. I don't learn anything from a pointless critique or a good meant critique I don't understand.
For me it's important to have a conversation and grasp what someone is trying to say to me - which is hard with just a picture and very few notes. Some stuff makes sense right away, some stuff needs more explanation, especially since you tend to get blind to your own work anyways.

@Night:
loved that you actually tried to remove the complex round stuff and simplified it. Yeah this approach seems to work much better and now we have an evidence.

Regarding to the light:
I am mainly using sculptural light to bring out the individual forms, I am not to concerned about having the same lightsource everywhere, since tileset assets and sprites aren't affected by the environmental light anyways.
I don't get what you want to say me with the lightsource position.
From my experience I can say have east and west sprites consistent in terms of shading you must have a direct-frontal lightsource, otherwise you always have a light problems if you use the same sprites for the east and west version - but I also think that this can be neglected, if the sprites forms are easy to get.

@Wolf: nice references =)

I changed some more details for the car and straigthened and sharpend some more "bugging" forms.
Did a lot of work on the reflections.
Used the same bumper for both sides, but made the farther away one darker.
also placed the car in the scene to show how currently all together looks.

things I am currently unsure about:
is too much visible from the rear bumper?
does the car's rear end look ok?

« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 01:02:57 am by Cyangmou »
"Because the beauty of the human body is that it hasn't a single muscle which doesn't serve its purpose; that there's not a line wasted; that every detail of it fits one idea, the idea of a man and the life of a man."

Dev-Art
Twitter

Offline jams0988

• View Profile

Reply #76 on: December 03, 2013, 02:23:24 am
There is no anger involved, just arguments. I don't learn anything from a pointless critique or a good meant critique I don't understand.
When someone gives you a good critique, and you say things like "you destroyed it." and "I know it's drawn correctly, it's not my problem you can't tell," you come off as angry. Those kinds of things aren't a discussion. You're basically just telling Stava he's wrong, so he should just shut up and deal with it. Because your construction is infallible! I agree with pretty much everyone else in the thread. Stava's edit was obviously correct, and I noticed all the problems it pointed out as soon as I saw your drawing. = \

I'm loving the car, though. Your style is shining with all this metal. =)
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 02:26:06 am by jams0988 »

Offline r1k

• View Profile

Reply #77 on: December 03, 2013, 02:36:33 am
the street tiles look awesome, I would make the lowered part of the street use slightly different colors though.

Offline Corinthian Baby

• Meditating Pixel Placement
    • View Profile

Reply #78 on: December 03, 2013, 07:39:01 am
Technique is on point as always. I agree with r1k and would like to see some variation in the pallet of the tiles. Everything's green and brown set against some turquoise for the streets. I know you're reusing colors for unification, and it looks consistent, but a little too much so. Maybe you haven't made enough tiles for us to see?

Car looks good, though in situ on the streets it blends in a bit because it's cold on cold, temperature wise and uses similar colors. Still, really cool and inventive stuff, love the designs.

Offline Night

• exidelo
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/26118.htm
    • Exidelo
    • View Profile

Reply #79 on: December 03, 2013, 01:07:27 pm
I think I messed something up a little in my edit:

It should look something more like that.  :P

About the lightsource:
I messed something up in here as well..
"is there a reason you choose to place the light source on the left side, slightly towards the player? ..."
there, if it makes any difference.
But I think you got what I meant regardless of that little mistake; it's easier to work with sprites that have the light source coming from right above the player, direct frontal as you said, rather then coming off from the left for example.
Also, there are shadows to take account of obviously, with a light source like yours it would be a harder to animate and such than it would be to a sprite with a light source coming completely under the head a of a character or an object.
There is light at the end of the tunnel.