AuthorTopic: GR#156 - Gothic Dieselpunk - Gameart  (Read 54550 times)

Offline Larwick

• Larwick
    • http://www.pixeljoint.com/p/3794.htm
    • View Profile
    • Artstation

Re: Sir Gregory & Creya

Reply #50 on: October 02, 2013, 11:31:49 pm
Yeah the nose and adam's apple both look a lot better. I also like the way you did the overlap. :y:

I still really don't like how contrasted the ramp is on creya's chest, and I think you can work to make it seem less apparent.
I made a quick edit to illustrate some of my thoughts.

- Firstly the pink color there just doesn't work for me at all, so I got rid of it.
- The darker skintone was too close to purple in my opinion, so I pushed it closer to the rest of the skin's hue and also lightened it a bit because it doesn't seem like it needed to be that dark. The tone lighter than that was too green, so I pushed it the other way and also lightened it.
- Finally I tried to fix her chest area by making the light hit a larger portion of it, so the wide banding wasn't so apparent. You could probably go even further than I did in that respect because the bright light that's hitting her face should be hitting her chest too.

Offline jams0988

• View Profile

Reply #51 on: October 11, 2013, 06:50:27 am
Nice pixel art, but I'm going to have to agree with Tim and a few others, here...
I don't mind artists drawing sexy girls (I love it, actually), but her costume isn't reading as very unique to me. It looks like something you'd see half of the more....flirty....girls wearing on Halloween nowadays. She's wearing a corset, garter belt, and a choker, while posing seductively. I can't guess much about her character from her outfit. Posing near your hero like that, she looks like a token sexy girl there just to make your hero look like more of a badass, rather than looking like a heroine on equal grounds with your hero. That may or may not be intentional though. She might just be his sidekick!
Your male's costume is pretty great. You can tell he's a badass who's gotten out of some tough situations based on his rugged and flamboyant outfit, and because of his mechanical arm. I want to learn more about him. Good design choices! Another poster mentioned his head looked too small compared to your girl's, but it's really working to give him a heroic looking stature, I think. He's a cool looking hero. =)

Your girl, though...like someone else already said, all I'm getting out of her is "she's a saloon girl? She likes sleeping around?" What would you honestly think of a woman dressed like that?

It's up to you, though. Outfit design doesn't matter much in the long run, anyway. The audience will probably forget about it ten minutes into the game if she's a likeable character with a believable story, and there are tons of great characters out there with generic or even normal clothing - Mario's outfit isn't too special, hahah. Your male is much more original than your female though, in my opinion.

Anyway, cool art. I always enjoy checking out your threads!  :y:
« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 07:00:10 am by jams0988 »

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/32234.htm
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage

Reply #52 on: November 24, 2013, 01:42:54 am
Fuck JRPG styled characters, tried to do something more unique in terms of style.  ;D

Although it seems that my male anatomy and posing could definitely use a lot of work, maybe it wasn't the best idea to work just with women lately  :-[

I would love to hear some thoughts on the new style. Design differences are equal to the artworks (which also would need a lot of work on some proportions as I see now  :ouch:)
I am also quite proud that I was now able to compress the information of the faces even more  :crazy:

let's say it's intended to be used with 200%, since the majority of the people I asked and you from the forums said 200% are most probably better.
"Because the beauty of the human body is that it hasn't a single muscle which doesn't serve its purpose; that there's not a line wasted; that every detail of it fits one idea, the idea of a man and the life of a man."

Dev-Art
Twitter

Offline Mr. Fahrenheit

• View Profile

Reply #53 on: November 24, 2013, 01:58:32 am
Much better and much more fitting to the characters you created in this thread.

Offline Parkerbaby

• View Profile

Reply #54 on: November 24, 2013, 02:02:33 am
Well, 200% is quite huge for sprites isn't it?
I love the new designs. It's a really good idea to not follow some formulaic design and let your own artistic skill shine through. I feel like the man is very hunched over in the new version, like he is bending down.

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/32234.htm
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage

Reply #55 on: December 01, 2013, 12:46:35 am
Well I decided to give up Steampunk. I Still dunno yet what the style exactly is called.
I want to keep gothic architecture and emphasize art nouveau spiral and floral elements and patterns to contrast all the strong technical aspects.   

I worked a lot more on the char sprites (focus on poses and proportions).
I also thought it'd be nice to have a car (design inspired by Mercedes). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_500K

"Because the beauty of the human body is that it hasn't a single muscle which doesn't serve its purpose; that there's not a line wasted; that every detail of it fits one idea, the idea of a man and the life of a man."

Dev-Art
Twitter

Offline Mr. Fahrenheit

• View Profile

Re: Sir Gregory & Creya (Dieselpunk?)

Reply #56 on: December 01, 2013, 02:08:00 am
to me it seems like you have some pseudo-banding or something like that going on in some places. Most notably on the highlight. I'm not too sure how its happening though...

Offline wolfenoctis

• View Profile

Reply #57 on: December 01, 2013, 04:22:38 am
Made it a little darker, still using Greg's colors so no colors added, I think the current version is a little too bright and too yellowish:

Offline Vagrant

• At your service.
    • @VagrantPixels
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/43310.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #58 on: December 01, 2013, 10:03:18 am
to me it seems like you have some pseudo-banding or something like that going on in some places. Most notably on the highlight. I'm not too sure how its happening though...
It's because of the damned angles.

Angles like these, and especially on prominently contrasted, thin objects -like the silver lines going all over the car- will inevitably give off the banding feeling. Trying to fix them can be time consuming and often futile, it can sometimes make someone reconsider the whole design, for appearance's sake.

The car does seem in need of polishing, so we may see it being fixed soon, perhaps?

This style is amazing.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 10:05:12 am by Vagrant »

Offline Night

• exidelo
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/26118.htm
    • Exidelo
    • View Profile

Reply #59 on: December 01, 2013, 11:38:58 am
I think Mr. Fahrenheit meant the highlight on the car's hood.
this:
There is light at the end of the tunnel.