AuthorTopic: GR#156 - Gothic Dieselpunk - Gameart  (Read 55201 times)

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/32234.htm
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage

Re: Sir Gregory & Creya

Reply #40 on: September 30, 2013, 02:45:41 am
@Jeremy:
I am rather trying to come up with something interesting looking than being historically correct.

Update:
some final adjustments might be necessary

"Because the beauty of the human body is that it hasn't a single muscle which doesn't serve its purpose; that there's not a line wasted; that every detail of it fits one idea, the idea of a man and the life of a man."

Dev-Art
Twitter

Offline ErekT

• fistful of pixels
    • View Profile

Reply #41 on: September 30, 2013, 07:36:24 am
Thighs look a bit slim and angular. Did an edit on those. Also tried to correct a perspective issue with the left breast and shoulder shading that didn't look quite right to me.

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage

Reply #42 on: September 30, 2013, 05:40:25 pm
@ErekT:
love what you did with the thighs.

I edited a few smaller things which sticked out to me.

"Because the beauty of the human body is that it hasn't a single muscle which doesn't serve its purpose; that there's not a line wasted; that every detail of it fits one idea, the idea of a man and the life of a man."

Dev-Art
Twitter

Offline Pix3M

• View Profile

Reply #43 on: September 30, 2013, 08:34:33 pm
I am curious about the choker she's wearing... wondered about another way to approach it. This edit was intended to be another 'belt' but it becomes a leash being around her neck... just by accident  :crazy:

And... could help make the character design go even farther to make you wonder if she is a whore, being a symbol of ownership.

Offline PixelPiledriver

• Yo!
    • View Profile
    • My Blog

Reply #44 on: September 30, 2013, 09:11:42 pm
I messed around with the girls face some.
Also had some variations from the previous faceless version.
And knowing that it is, we seek what it is... ~ Aristotle, Posterior Analytics, Chapter 1

Offline Pix3M

• View Profile

Reply #45 on: October 01, 2013, 04:46:26 pm
I wonder if anyone has noticed that my colllar doesn't make sense?  :ouch:

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage

Reply #46 on: October 01, 2013, 04:50:08 pm
@ Pixem: thanks for your additions - I wanted to go for a simple metal band but I liked your version much better - I noticed that it was wrong =)

@PixelPiledriver:
Big thanks for your face edits - it's always a pleasure to see how you liven up things.

I added/edited the mentioned points and also adjusted some metal shading. I'd say this is the first finished version.
For showing purposes I added a cast shadow - I think one color for AAing makes it smooth enough and fits within the style.

Dev-Art
Twitter

Offline Larwick

• Larwick
    • http://www.pixeljoint.com/p/3794.htm
    • View Profile
    • Artstation

Reply #47 on: October 01, 2013, 05:57:59 pm
Great work. :)

Greg's adam's apple looks pretty strange to me, it's lit like it's a shiny piece of plastic on his throat. Considering you've used line-work elsewhere, you might wanna underline his chin, darken the adam's apple and get rid of the specular there.

Also Creya is suffering for lack of nose definition. One of the reasons PixelPiledriver's edits livened her up was because of this. You could also lighten some of the outlines around Creya's shoulders etc if you're placing her on such a light backdrop.

EDIT: Noticed something that's been bugging me for a while. On my monitor the color ramp you've used on Creya's upper chest and shoulders doesn't work at all. The pink is a touch darker (really hardly at all, but it shouldn't be that close anyway) than the beige that's meant to be darker than it. The ramp is probably too high contrast already for her skin so this doesn't help at all. I'm pretty sure my monitor is calibrated properly. :crazy: Maybe someone else can confirm.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 06:28:06 pm by Larwick »

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage

Reply #48 on: October 01, 2013, 06:53:43 pm
@Larwick:

It might be a good idea to remove the spec on the adams apple.
For Creyas nose I have to say that I already defined it much more than i wanted to do, since I intended to go much more Anime with it, but it changed during the whole process =)

The more saturated pink color isn't exactly a color of the skin ramp, it's intended to be a more saturated (darker) red and I also used the color within the pink highlights.
It was intended to display a level of subsurface scattering next to the highlight due to strong light but I never tried to use this so far with pixel art, so it might not work without a soft gradient at one edge. Since nobody mentioned it so far I thought it works perfectly.
Another opinion on this might be helpful.

The light backdrop is just for showing purposes on DevArt like the castshadow. I intend to display the sprites on the same colors the characters use, however I most probably have to adjust the outline later anyways to achieve the best readability given to various backgrounds - thats why I currently use the darkest outline possible which are looking right - I can say from experience that it will work with busy backgrounds.

Edit:

Larwick I played around with all points you mentioned
ANd I also edited a few othe rspots I remarked
I also changed how the overlap - I think they have now much more depth
Also adjusted some colors and erased some double used ones

« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 04:14:31 pm by Cyangmou »

Dev-Art
Twitter

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #49 on: October 02, 2013, 09:51:29 pm
A final thing, I would suggest removing the texture pattern on Creya's thigh socks, as they look more like some leftover artifact from autodithering or whatever than they do as texture. Another solution is to make a pattern that isn't just single pixels, far apart.