AuthorTopic: GR#156 - Gothic Dieselpunk - Gameart  (Read 54265 times)

Offline PixelPiledriver

• Yo!
    • View Profile
    • My Blog

Re: Gothic Dieselpunk

Reply #100 on: January 18, 2014, 05:29:45 pm
Cool stuff.
Variation on the smile:
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 05:31:59 pm by PixelPiledriver »
And knowing that it is, we seek what it is... ~ Aristotle, Posterior Analytics, Chapter 1

Offline Pix3M

• View Profile

Reply #101 on: January 18, 2014, 09:54:41 pm
Wow, been a while since I poked around these parts to see what's been happening.

I have a feeling that we're digging ourselves into a very interesting hole. Moving mouths but everything else is still. It could give more life to our characters but I personally start finding it uncanny. People are a lot more livelier when they talk and don't just move their lips around.  :ouch:

Less uncanny lip animations I've seen tend to have much closer views of people's faces.

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/32234.htm
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage

Reply #102 on: January 19, 2014, 12:38:25 am
Well, seems that I have forgotten something additionally to the portrait animations.

The soft light I wanted to add for the windows & streetlights...
(also all edits to wather, char shadows etc. are added)

Also the new Typewriter mockup with a darkening composition-gradient instead of blurring.

@PPD: nice edit. I will consider some things

@Pix3m: actually it looks really odd (even at this size) if you move around the jaw and try to do move more things - this would involve a shitload of subpixeling and is nearly impossible - less is more in that case so to say. I kinda chose that more Anime-styled characters to be able to animate the lips and add a bit more live - I like it more than just static images.

Also don't see it not as statement to realism, rather as wat's possible within a game and with pixel art restrictions to add a bit more live.
The overall style should make clear that it's not meant to be hyperrealistical at all.
"Because the beauty of the human body is that it hasn't a single muscle which doesn't serve its purpose; that there's not a line wasted; that every detail of it fits one idea, the idea of a man and the life of a man."

Dev-Art
Twitter

Offline ||||

• The brand with four stripes
    • llll_lijj
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/new_icons.asp?owner=30996&ob=search&dosearch=1
    • Lijj
    • View Profile
    • rawbetty.com

Reply #103 on: January 19, 2014, 01:31:38 am
I just gawked at these images for a while in awe.
I can accept that you would only make one letter press; but with not too much more work you could make one more and have it come from a slight angle, then just mirror it so there is some variation in the motion.. I think it would look a little better.

Lijj:"Creya  "

Creya: What would you like to talk about mister?"
Lijj: "Anything..You're so lovely, thank you for chatting W/ me."

But in seriousness, maybe the smile in both yours and Pixel Piledriver's is too intense- or too big of a smile.