AuthorTopic: GR#156 - Gothic Dieselpunk - Gameart  (Read 54263 times)

Offline ErekT

• fistful of pixels
    • View Profile

Re: Sir Gregory & Creya

Reply #10 on: September 25, 2013, 06:15:48 pm
Looks great! I love the design and pixel work. The shins look long, and his left one looks super-long. I also think the jacket below the belt looks a bit weird raised up like that. Is there a wind coming up from below him?

Offline PixelPiledriver

• Yo!
    • View Profile
    • My Blog

Reply #11 on: September 25, 2013, 07:24:44 pm
Great image.
Threw in some thoughts.

Mostly in the face.
Tried to imply some light facial hair.
Thicker eyebrows.
Faded the left side brow a little more.
Tweaked the dead eye a bit.
Messed with the arm some.
It seems to flow in the same directions a lot.
Could be broken up in slight ways without going too far from a minimalist tech look.

It feels like you are trying to imply that the coat is very thick, but the wrap around and center line feel slightly off.
You could push the center line of the coat further left like T-Free's edit.

But yah, awesome work.  :y:
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 07:27:36 pm by PixelPiledriver »
And knowing that it is, we seek what it is... ~ Aristotle, Posterior Analytics, Chapter 1

Offline Pix3M

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: September 25, 2013, 10:26:48 pm
I've always thought corsets were really rigid pieces of clothing due to this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bone_(corsetry) .... or have I not looked at enough corsets?  :-\
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 10:29:53 pm by Pix3M »

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/32234.htm
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage

Reply #13 on: September 25, 2013, 11:07:48 pm
@T-Free
warm welcome here at Pixelation, I didn't know that you are an evil lurker here, you should post in the newcomer thread and we all should have some more fun over here together =D

Good points, I especially love what you did with the chest area. The horizontal line should be at his shoulder line, I will fix the parts of him later once my eyes aren't that blind to his flaws any more and pay special attention to some things you mentioned.

@PPD:
Ah I love what you did with the face, especially how you applied the shaved beard - it adds definitely a lot to the character. I also love that little steam cloud - it's also something I will definitely apply some of your ideas later on. I will look over all your suggestions in detail once I am getting back to Gregory.

@ErekT:
Yeah the shinbones currently don't have the same length, but since I was anyways unsure where the boots should end exactly I have to rework them sooner or later. I will go now with shorter ones which end directly beneath the knees.

@Pix3M:
I havent seen an original historical one in action - from those I have seen in action I know that they aren't that stiff and some movement is possible. I want for the corset a more modern approach - looks good and movements for daily live are still possible.

I worked a bit more on Creya, I mainly worked on the shapes of the head. I also roughed out some shading and redrew/added some forms - at the moment all (forms as well as shading) is really rough and needs a lot more polishing on detail placement etc. It's more at the state to get an general idea and to point out the worst flaws.
Currently I am unsure about the size of the hands and if the part where the hand and the skirt touching each other look ok.

I also put both of the characters together just to make sure that both of them match together.
I have the feeling that the red is to strong and takes too much attention as it is right now, but other thoughts are appreciated as well. I also could need some help with placing them together.

currently known issues I will take care of soon:
-front leg is currently to long (the heel should be a bit more in the air)
-adding  black areas to the shading

« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 11:30:19 pm by Cyangmou »
"Because the beauty of the human body is that it hasn't a single muscle which doesn't serve its purpose; that there's not a line wasted; that every detail of it fits one idea, the idea of a man and the life of a man."

Dev-Art
Twitter

Offline kriss

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: September 26, 2013, 12:12:04 am
it seams the Creya's head is much bigger than Gregory

Sorry to bother you about the arm, but i'm really thinking it will be more steampunk to add something : steampunk should be esthetic and i read you want a gothic style?

Maybe you could add some details in the metal and/or some cable : yes you posted all mechanics is inside but with low technology as steampunk, there is always cable somewhere ^^

Since the start, his left eye seams different but i can't see why ! with zoom i understand, so why don't you use a 1/2 mask to cover the eye
like venitian mask : it can add some nobility mark to the owner and used to hide an eye device !

It's just some ideas because i love a lot steampunk and what you done :)

I just used a part of steampunk stormtrooper armor to show the global  idea :
this cable is horrible.. sorry but it's just to show the idea again...

Offline Âme

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: September 26, 2013, 12:58:03 am
I don't have a lot to say anatomy or pixel wise, but I just wanted to say that all your concepts for this look great.  ;D Personally, I think the direction your taking the steampunk stuff is awesomely original. Some people are saying it feels more Cyberpunk than Steampunk, and I won't disagree, but I don't care, its sexy as hell. It still feels like industrial era, early 19 hundreds, which I think you said you were going for, but is defiantly in a different direction than most steampunk. I just thought I'd offer some words of encouragement because this style is epic and I love it.  :)

Wish I could offer more to help, but if its any consolidation, if you ever make this into some sort of a game or anything, I WILL be throwing money at it. So there's that... :y:

Offline wolfenoctis

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: September 26, 2013, 01:19:44 pm
My lines are crap, because I did this with a mouse, but you'll get the idea:

Added a spellbook and a magic effect to emphasize that he is a mage, also went for a different approach for the arm (more mech, and yeah stole it from the terminator) I kept it thin because I thought it looked interesting. Also made the burns more prominent to really give him a damaged feel. Hope I know it's probably not what you were going for, but it might give you a few ideas  :D

Offline Facet

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: September 26, 2013, 09:46:29 pm
Alright, so you don't need another edit to the first guy :D, but in my defence I started it the other day so here it be :

There was other stuff but mainly design & pose; +1 Alcopopstar in that I'm not getting much sense of character; good, bad, strong, weak,confident, timid etc. Seems to be looking two places at once (intentional with mech. eye? not sure it looks dead, is ambiguous), and his pose, esp. arms are pretty stiff, action figure like; could be more engaging. You know this already & the girl looks more interesting.

I changed the orientation of the head 'cos it felt opposed to the line of his body also bit of contrapposto, and the bell bottom coat-tails I thought looked a bit Marilyn Monroe updraft :P. The rest was trying to focus attention on the face and unique features ie. sweet Colossus hand.

What type of character is the girl?

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/32234.htm
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage

Reply #18 on: September 26, 2013, 11:02:58 pm
aye facet, more edits are always good =)

The eye actually is just like a glass eye, but made out of amber or diamond through which magic is flowing - it's not a device, just a stone.

Your edit is great, I especially love what you did with the lower part of the coat and the rear arm - Although I am not sure if the contrapposto would actually work with a conversation system if I am using the same figures for a mockup later on, which is the main reason why i kept them aligned to one side and a frontal lightsource (that mirroring also won't hurt). Nonetheless I will think about it and steal some parts for my next version - the list with edits got longer.
I also have to think what I will do with the mech arm, I definitely want to show the rear side of the hand like in the initial drawing.

While Sir Gregory is the distanced, calm, introverted and depressed character, Creya should act as counterpart.
I want to have her acting a bit childish and playful, just enough to pull Gregory out of his lethargy from time to time - I don't intend to portray her just as a childish sidekick.
Her character is also strongly stamped by her past although she hides that quite well behind her lovely appeareance. For Gregory she is a friend and from time to time also a maternal person.

Hope this short description helps.

I also put in quite some effort into Gregorys pose and applied a lot of stuff - I'd love to get some thoughts on the new pose before I start cleaning all things up.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 01:14:21 am by Cyangmou »
"Because the beauty of the human body is that it hasn't a single muscle which doesn't serve its purpose; that there's not a line wasted; that every detail of it fits one idea, the idea of a man and the life of a man."

Dev-Art
Twitter

Offline wolfenoctis

• View Profile

Reply #19 on: September 27, 2013, 05:31:11 am
First off: I really like what you did with his torso, it looks so much better now  :y:

It seems clear that you want both hands visible, so how about this, gave him a cane (not uncommon for victorian era) and changed his pose somewhat:

P.S. You can ignore the monocle, I just added it because I'm juvenile  ;D