AuthorTopic: GR#155 - Experiment with Colors - Shading  (Read 11423 times)

Offline NaCl

• When it rains it pours
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP] Experiment with colours

Reply #10 on: January 10, 2014, 12:10:57 pm
I like the progress you're making with this. Keep it up.

One thing you may want to experiment with, is ramping the colors differently on the face and the horns. For instance, is the face more reflective with greater speculars? Does the face ramp up into the same green as on the horns or does it ramp into a more pink color? Right now it looks like a sort of mask, because the material seems to be the same over the entire thing.

Offline cels

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/32715.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: January 11, 2014, 10:12:39 am
See, this is what kills me with pixel art. Just when I've finished a full week with several hours a day working on a image the size of my toe, and I click save with my sweaty hand, trembling with a caffeine overdose, someone like you comes along and says something like "Keep it up!" or "Oh, this is headed in the right direction. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished version."   :'(

But thanks! I absolutely agree with you in regards to the use of colours, but I only had 18 colours to work with for the challenge. If I had more colours, I would try to experiment with that. I could try to juggle the colours around to free up a couple more colours, but... I'm going to stop here, before I go postal.

After deciding to go with a pink-green palette, I actually did start out thinking that this may be a bronze statue, so your impression of the mask is quite accurate, in that regard.  :)

Final version here:

Thanks a lot to everyone who helped me. I need some more coffee. And maybe I'll start smoking.

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: January 11, 2014, 05:11:00 pm
No, don't start smoking!

Coffee - yes. Cigs - no.

Did a color edit, for fun, cuz I like this demon face thing. Has a really nifty old school feel. Plus, your colors feel muddy to me, so I tried a few revisions.

Only actual pixel placement change is the upper outline I added.

Offline cauli

• View Profile
    • Twitter

Reply #13 on: January 11, 2014, 05:35:40 pm
Cels, for me it is great. Congrats, nice piece!

Offline cels

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/32715.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #14 on: January 11, 2014, 08:13:38 pm
Thanks, guys!

@Mathias: Are you by any chance a fan of Busta Rhymes;D

I love both your edits, really. Particularly #1. I may have to steal that idea for something later! And you're right, it does have an old school feel, like some kind of 1990's fantasy art. It's really weird, because it's not intentional, and I'm not even sure I like it. It's the second time this happens to me.