AuthorTopic: WIP Pirate EDIT Complete!  (Read 3905 times)

Offline Gnarf

• nnnnt
    • View Profile
    • el presto blog

WIP Pirate EDIT Complete!

on: July 12, 2006, 10:05:18 pm

Coloring was heavily inspired by Tremulant.  In fact, I studied some of his pieces to learn how he does it, but I may have failed.  I'm mostly having trouble connecting the stomach to the pants without the line inbetween.  I could make it skin colored, but it doesn't come out very well.

Anyway, C&C appreciated.  I don't have much time to work on it, so I give it about 15-30 minutes each day.

I decided to just go with it and stop trying to color like others.  I'm not that good yet, so I'm just going to practice with simplicity.  Here it is.

C&C would really help me improve.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2006, 05:37:54 am by Gnarf »

Offline Silver

• View Profile

Re: WIP Pirate

Reply #1 on: July 13, 2006, 09:26:47 am
Good job gnarf!
i would suggest that you work on it for a while so you can learn more about
hair
cloth
skin
wood texture
use reference for anything you are not sure how to shade!
good luck!

Offline Skull

• View Profile
    • Viva La Skull

Re: WIP Pirate

Reply #2 on: July 13, 2006, 07:50:32 pm
Ah, an old man pirate.  ;)
Looks good so far, add some more basic colour so we can see what you want to do with it.

Offline Gnarf

• nnnnt
    • View Profile
    • el presto blog

Re: WIP Pirate EDIT Complete!

Reply #3 on: July 18, 2006, 05:39:30 am
Thanks for the comments.  I just got it done, and I did use some references as you stated, but a lot of the times they didn't help because some parts were too small to texture.  I'm impressed, I usually don't finish a piece.  I'm sure it could use some C&C, though.

... :( I guess i won't be getting crits.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2006, 08:29:36 am by Gnarf »

Offline Tremulant

• Enfant Terrible
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: July 18, 2006, 03:32:15 pm
I love it. The black outline really does something for me, and the line art is great. Nice colouring job, too. I did a slight edit:

I changed very little. The skin tone I altered slightly, and added a new mid tone for blending purposes. I changed the arm a bit, too. Something about the way you defined the bicep seemed strange to me, given that there is little to no definition anywhere else on the body.

Other than that, I eliminated several colours. Some were virtually unused (maybe one or two pixels) and others were so similar that they could be merged.

Finally, I took out what little selout there was, as it was inconsistent (only used very sparingly, and seemingly on one side of the body).

This looks very nice. Keep the great work coming.

Offline Gnarf

• nnnnt
    • View Profile
    • el presto blog

Reply #5 on: July 18, 2006, 07:11:43 pm
Thanks for the crits Tremulant.  The skin tones were giving me a hard time as I wanted to make them blend that well.  I'm still a newbie at dithering so I can't do it like that.  I really love the revision on the face; I knew it was missing something.  As for the biceps, I'm not that great with anatomy yet.  I'll definitely look over this the next time I start a piece.  Thanks!

Offline CrumbBread

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: July 18, 2006, 07:33:31 pm
Sure you can dither like that =D Take a close look at how he uses midtones -- the actual dithering is no more complicated than what you did, just the placement and color is slightly different.

I love the chunky beard. *raises arms in victory*

Offline Gnarf

• nnnnt
    • View Profile
    • el presto blog

Reply #7 on: July 18, 2006, 09:17:11 pm
Yeah, I'm going to keep working on my next piece until I get it that smooth.  It doesn't look that complicated, now that I think about it.