AuthorTopic: GR#234 - Forest Tileset  (Read 100186 times)

Offline PixelPiledriver

• Yo!
    • View Profile
    • My Blog

Re: Forest tileset...

Reply #70 on: October 07, 2014, 03:38:02 pm
Yeah my eyes just exploded.

There is no hierarchy of colour here, everything is standing out as much as everything else, you need to push back the grass in order to make the trees and planets, which are very well pixeled, into something you can actually focus on. A lightly desaturated blueish green could look nice for the grass, but experiment.

What she said.
Blue recedes.
Yellow protrudes.
The amount of yellow in the base flat grass is heavily competing with everything else.
And knowing that it is, we seek what it is... ~ Aristotle, Posterior Analytics, Chapter 1

Offline Beetleking22

• View Profile

Reply #71 on: October 07, 2014, 08:49:47 pm
defiantly an improvement.

When I said contrast I was meaning less in the sense of light and dark and more in the sense of the assets standing well against the background. As it is I feel like the darks in this picture look a little burnt. My pallets often sit a little too much on the washed out side out so take this with a grain of salt, but I think you could lift, desaturate and hue shift the darker side of your pallet (and harmonize the rest of the pallet to match).

How about this? Does is now stand against the background? I tried edit the high contrast and the plants color so it fits more with the background
Also tried play with tree colors.. I'm not good hue shifter :/..

I noticed the difference when I tested this scene with my brother comptuer and It looked very bright...  My colors looks way different from  my compture .. I need maybe adjust my screen colors..

As always, I recommend the online calibration tool at http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/ as a good reference to calibrate your monitor with.

That looks insteresting.. Problem here is that it looks too  dark.. My intention was to make vibrant but not super bright...
I think what you have is just too bright, still (better than it was, but..). If you look at LoZ: Link to the Past screenshots,  it seems like a reasonable example of a vibrant art style, and you can see that most things are darker than you have. Seiken Densetsu 3 (which I guess you have taken some inspiration from) is done in a similar way. eg this screenshot appears very vibrant but the main brightness level that dominates the picture is of the grass tiles, which is fairly dark.
Another example is Rayman (the original one), which gets away with some bright colors by using a lot of value changes so that no area of value becomes overwhelming. This requires more work IME.

I see! I really love how Seiken densetsu 3  tree are very vibrant but its still match with the grass tiles... I know what you mean..  My fear was that the brighter tree would look out of place with darker background ... but I didn't know it would match that's nicely... :D  I didn't take inspiration from Seiken 3 .. I tried make my tree with my own vision.. It took a long of time...

Thank you for the link!!!

Yeah my eyes just exploded.

What she said.
Blue recedes.
Yellow protrudes.
The amount of yellow in the base flat grass is heavily competing with everything else.

Thank you for the advice!
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 04:39:31 pm by Beetleking22 »

Offline Anarkhya

• View Profile
    • Hello, this is what I do

Reply #72 on: October 08, 2014, 08:45:23 am
About the burnt shadows topic, I also think you still have almost black shadows, while it seems realistic to me under a vivid sunlight, I'm not fond of this part of our reality  :P

I tried to find some light and dark balance that would please me without going too far into the black, I used your first and last attempt at trees:

Now for the eyes killing grass, I don't know, its also related to how big the screen size is (if it is a game), the smaller the screen, the less attention this grass will draw in terms of mass. How about a sneak peek at Minish Cap, approximately twice screens:

Offline Beetleking22

• View Profile

Reply #73 on: October 08, 2014, 05:10:07 pm
About the burnt shadows topic, I also think you still have almost black shadows, while it seems realistic to me under a vivid sunlight, I'm not fond of this part of our reality  :P

I tried to find some light and dark balance that would please me without going too far into the black, I used your first and last attempt at trees:

Now for the eyes killing grass, I don't know, its also related to how big the screen size is (if it is a game), the smaller the screen, the less attention this grass will draw in terms of mass. How about a sneak peek at Minish Cap, approximately twice screens:

So its still looks like burn out  :'(

Does this looks less burned? I took the dark purple color out... I didint like my old forest color so thats why I changed it.. I know your point but I dont wanna go back to my old forest :D

New

Old

« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 01:10:52 am by Beetleking22 »

Offline Anarkhya

• View Profile
    • Hello, this is what I do

Reply #74 on: October 08, 2014, 08:21:24 pm
 Oh and I forgot to tell you that your palette may be out of control, while editing your image I noticed several redundant hues, like 99% identical, maybe you played with opacity at some point. It seems necessary to stop adding hues and clean the palette of these redundancies, your last image contains 197 colours, a quick quantization revealed that you shouldn't have more than 40 for this image ;)
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 08:23:40 pm by Anarkhya »

Offline AlcopopStar

• View Profile
    • https://ramheadedgirl.com/folio/

Reply #75 on: October 09, 2014, 06:39:08 am
Anarkhya's edit sits really nicely so make sure to take that in.

All of your changes are very timid and minute. I think you'v got the gist of what people are saying but you need a be a bit bolder in how you approach it, you seem very attached to your original colours.

Maybe after you've cleaned up the colours make a few copies and experiment a bit more widely for half an hour. Then compare results, maybe do a few overlays at different opacities in Photoshop to find a middle ground.

Offline Beetleking22

• View Profile

Reply #76 on: October 09, 2014, 10:08:16 am
Anarkhya's edit sits really nicely so make sure to take that in.

All of your changes are very timid and minute. I think you'v got the gist of what people are saying but you need a be a bit bolder in how you approach it, you seem very attached to your original colours.

Maybe after you've cleaned up the colours make a few copies and experiment a bit more widely for half an hour. Then compare results, maybe do a few overlays at different opacities in Photoshop to find a middle ground.

Thats better Idea.. Im very ashamed about my self!! I really need more practise about this.. I don't have much of experience with colors.. So im going to learn more about it... and thank you and other helps have been very helpful! I hope I learn more!

Offline Beetleking22

• View Profile

Reply #77 on: October 10, 2014, 07:18:35 pm
I tried make the grass little bit of yellow so that the green tree would stand out more...

« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 09:24:25 pm by Beetleking22 »

Offline AlcopopStar

• View Profile
    • https://ramheadedgirl.com/folio/

Reply #78 on: October 12, 2014, 08:23:17 am
To reiterate pixelpiledriver;

Blue recedes.
Yellow protrudes.

You've picked a lovely shade for the background but it does stick out and intrude on the assets a little, due to the nature of the colour. Background art, particularly for games, doesn't always have the luxury of being impactful and eye catching. If characters are going to be walking on this grass I still feel like you need to pair it back a touch, this is a big give and take with tile sets, to make something interesting without being overwhelming.

But you seem pretty set in keeping this in quite a warm spectrum. And that's fine. Just understand the issues you may run into.

Edit: this is an improvement overall, so good job on that :)
« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 09:09:48 am by AlcopopStar »

Offline Beetleking22

• View Profile

Reply #79 on: October 12, 2014, 06:07:27 pm
Im going to starts this from scratch! This only way to make it...  Problem with my grass  was that It didn't have much of detail.. Maybe that was one reason why it was so bright....  and also too much yellow?

So I started and I'm very happy with the result.. This Studio ghibli scene give me a lot of inspiration..
 http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-srKCS3AYe-Q/ThihnSXxkXI/AAAAAAAASrA/Dla5cO4FRJ0/s1600/decor-16.jpg

I really hope that im going with right path with this..

« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 12:13:11 pm by Beetleking22 »