AuthorTopic: GR#234 - Forest Tileset  (Read 100179 times)

Offline Beetleking22

• View Profile

GR#234 - Forest Tileset

on: September 22, 2013, 01:22:58 pm
Hello I started making new tileset for my game and I want some critic about my cliff.. Yeah I had the autumn forest tileset thread but I scared post there  because it is pretty old thread... So want just ask is there something about my cliff that I can improve?

Update:

« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 10:23:57 pm by Cyangmou »

Offline dekutree64

• View Profile

Re: Forest tileset [wip]

Reply #1 on: September 22, 2013, 05:53:44 pm
Very nice! Honestly I don't think you need to change anything. Just make some trees and stuff to go with it :)

If it was me, I'd probably add more texture to the path. But that's more a matter of style, and with the grass base being flat green, too much texture would look worse than flat color with occasional fractures like you have now.

Love the color palette. Very soothing, and the low contrast will make characters stand out very well.

Technical-wise, the taller plants will probably need to be sprites rather than part of the background so they can be Y-sorted with characters. If you want to get really fancy, add some animations so they fluff when you walk through them :)

Offline Beetleking22

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: September 22, 2013, 06:22:47 pm
Very nice! Honestly I don't think you need to change anything. Just make some trees and stuff to go with it :)

If it was me, I'd probably add more texture to the path. But that's more a matter of style, and with the grass base being flat green, too much texture would look worse than flat color with occasional fractures like you have now.

Yeah did that path very fast.. so its obviously need more work and Im going to put more textures but not much.. You are pretty much right here..

Love the color palette. Very soothing, and the low contrast will make characters stand out very well.

Thank you very much.. Im so  glad that you liked the colors because there was huge struggle behind them.

Technical-wise, the taller plants will probably need to be sprites rather than part of the background so they can be Y-sorted with characters. If you want to get really fancy, add some animations so they fluff when you walk through them :)

Yeah I totally agree with you here..

Tallers plant has same colors as the grass.. Im not sure if that works.. I might change the taller plant color... same color as the leaves of the tree and bushes.

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: September 23, 2013, 01:55:18 am
Sexy environment dude  :y:
Looking forward to seeing some buildings and stuff.
Don't throw away your autumn stuff though because that could be another area ;-)

Path doesn't require to be covered in texture, that's a style choice and sometimes less is more.
Patchy like you have now looks good and could probably just do with 1 or 2 more tiles which vary the size, shape and the use of the darker colour (don't use it in all the texture).

If I want to be picky I see a subtle seem running along here:

I need more practice at tiling rock wall texture but sometimes some varied size patches of shadow can add some depth.
Very rough and random illustration:

Offline Beetleking22

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: September 23, 2013, 09:40:04 am
Sexy environment dude  :y:
Looking forward to seeing some buildings and stuff.
Don't throw away your autumn stuff though because that could be another area ;-)

Thank you.. I might make autumn tileset from these tileset and then adding later more autumn stuff to the
 forest.

Path doesn't require to be covered in texture, that's a style choice and sometimes less is more.
Patchy like you have now looks good and could probably just do with 1 or 2 more tiles which vary the size, shape and the use of the darker colour (don't use it in all the texture).

Thats right and  also it does not fit with my style either...

If I want to be picky I see a subtle seem running along here:

I tried to fix that that but didint work well  ::).. I will try to fix it..

I need more practice at tiling rock wall texture but sometimes some varied size patches of shadow can add some depth.
Very rough and random illustration:

Yeah I was thinking same.. I might add more shadow area in my rocks.. This helps a alot thank you.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 09:41:49 am by Beetleking22 »

Offline Beetleking22

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: September 24, 2013, 05:38:00 pm
So I tried reduce a lot of lightning and in addition there is more shadow... So does it looks better? There is still  subtle..  does it matter a lot?

« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 12:43:37 pm by Beetleking22 »

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Re: Forest tileset [c+c]

Reply #6 on: September 26, 2013, 03:03:24 am
A bit, but perhaps dont fill the shadows with little blobs, just let it be an ambiguous shady area.
Im not sure about this but I think the way u originally had it is better for large areas of single repeated tile as there is less noticable "pattern".
When u add stronger shadowy areas you will need more variation tiles to break up the repeats.
one idea for variation is small patches of grass growing on some protuding ledges.
None of this is what id call "necessary", its just extra ideas.

Offline Larwick

• Larwick
    • http://www.pixeljoint.com/p/3794.htm
    • View Profile
    • Artstation

Reply #7 on: September 26, 2013, 04:01:35 pm
Im not sure about this but I think the way u originally had it is better for large areas of single repeated tile as there is less noticable "pattern".
When u add stronger shadowy areas you will need more variation tiles to break up the repeats.

Actually from looking at his new version I think the more obvious darker areas make it seem less repetitive. I think it's because the eye focuses on the 2 differing levels rather than the 4 tiles... or something. At any rate, I like it like that personally. :crazy:

Offline Beetleking22

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: September 26, 2013, 05:01:43 pm
Yeah I should reduce the blob style of texturing.. If  I make more rock like  a texture it might look even better with shadow..
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 06:39:40 pm by Beetleking22 »

Offline Beetleking22

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: September 27, 2013, 02:47:09 pm
Little update.. Replaced the some of  blob like a rocks with bigger and better shaped rocks... Yeah this need more polish but  at least it looks better than the old one...

« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 02:51:53 pm by Beetleking22 »