AuthorTopic: Need Some Tips  (Read 3009 times)

Offline Ziphil

• View Profile

Need Some Tips

on: September 20, 2013, 11:55:26 am
Hello.
I am a beginner in a pixel art, so I want to improve my skill and come here.

This is an upright piano I pixeled, but it looks somewhat unnatural. I need your critiques and comments.

Offline failsafe

• View Profile

Re: Need Some Tips

Reply #1 on: October 16, 2013, 10:10:38 am
Hey quick suggestion,
Your piano doesn't have a natural perspective to it which is why it may look odd. The sides of the piano are dead straight even though the piano is meant to have depth (parts closer to you should seem larger). Playing with the perspective may help it look less unnatural. Quick example of what I mean below.

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/32234.htm
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage

Reply #2 on: October 16, 2013, 10:29:19 am
@failsafe
to me it seems to be an axonometry.
the perspective depends on the surrounding perspective grid, we talked about this in detail back in 2012. Those are some of the collected infos

http://cyangmou.deviantart.com/gallery/37668128

a natural perspective might throw off the overall perspective if there are more props.
I agree with you that the sides could be improved to make it look more interesting.
"Because the beauty of the human body is that it hasn't a single muscle which doesn't serve its purpose; that there's not a line wasted; that every detail of it fits one idea, the idea of a man and the life of a man."

Dev-Art
Twitter

Offline failsafe

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: October 17, 2013, 06:02:52 am
@Cyangmou
yeah fair enough,
I'm new to pixel art and that was the only thing that seemed "unnatural" to me at the time.

Offline camanho.pt

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: November 07, 2013, 01:49:49 pm
Hi. New here too.. trying to help in someway...
Maybe you put too much dither.. I'm not sure, but I think the dithering is best applied on larger surfaces to work on the color transition.
Also, you could try to erase the two top pixel of the sides of the piano.. they are too sharp to my eyes..
Maybe some highlights in strategic pixels?

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: November 11, 2013, 08:50:41 am
dont change perspective just remove all ur shading on the black areas and be left with only 1 dark tone for the front vertical planes  and 1 lighter colour for the top flat planes where more light is hitting.
now add a single pixel width highlight along the edge of the 2 planes.
from this alone  we should know about the form.
next you can cast a shadow under the keys and tweak ur highlights and shiny reflections (be very selective rather than thinking u need to highlight everyrhing)
do not be afraid of large flat areas of colour.
i dont like dithering used like this either as it implies a texture rather than a nice glossy reflective surface.