AuthorTopic: GR#227 - Light Cavalry - Anatomy, Sprite Process Thread  (Read 39832 times)

Offline lachrymose

• View Profile

Re: Light Cavalry

Reply #30 on: October 14, 2014, 10:01:28 pm
What I find most annoying, is that his gloves are far to large to be placed into the trigger guard to actually fire the weapon.
Not sure what the brown bulb is directly to the south of the trigger guard is either, whatever it is, you'd almost have to cup your hand around it in order to get your finger onto the trigger. If it is a grip its is far to bulbous.

Alas, it is a great piece.

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/32234.htm
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage

Reply #31 on: October 14, 2014, 10:33:03 pm
more detail edits
-jacket/shoulder
-jacket cuffs
-face
-weapon

Great stuff.
Wish I was able to submit an edit right now, but can't.

Right thigh plate mail
Edges of each horizontal metal strips wrapping around leg, going out of our view, seem to violate perspective.
I believe your sketch had it right.

Left shoulder
Seems mushy and formless. Fabric is difficult.
Perhaps less highlight stretching across his deltoid area so there's more distinct planar definition?

Bracers/jacket cuffs
They look under-rendered. Plain, as if unfinished.

Gloves
I don't understand the penguin gloves. Why those? Just curious.

Gun
Aside from melee attacks with his sword, it looks like all this guy can do is fire one single harpoon.
What will this really accomplish on the battle field?

plate mail - was sloppy there, well and also moved the knee a tad wider forward in the illustration. WOrked over it once more.
jacket cuffs - actually also the part I was most unhappy with, I guess it has to do with the color, changed the overall design.
gloves - since it's cavalry and they won't move their hands for a long time this design actually keeps much warmer than single-finger gloves. And they won't fire to many shots anyways, because it's mainly a scouting unit

Did you decide to go with the smirk for the final piece?

Goodbye AT-ATs!

I also agree about the left shoulder. The jacket sleeve to shoulder assembly looks like it's tailored out of 1 piece. I think defining the seam line would help.
-yeah, made it more visible in the latest edit
-yes that's another good answer next to some other cool and fancy things one could do with a harpoon on a horse
-yeah that helped

What I find most annoying, is that his gloves are far to large to be placed into the trigger guard to actually fire the weapon.
Not sure what the brown bulb is directly to the south of the trigger guard is either, whatever it is, you'd almost have to cup your hand around it in order to get your finger onto the trigger. If it is a grip its is far to bulbous.

Alas, it is a great piece.

put more effort in there.
"Because the beauty of the human body is that it hasn't a single muscle which doesn't serve its purpose; that there's not a line wasted; that every detail of it fits one idea, the idea of a man and the life of a man."

Dev-Art
Twitter

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #32 on: October 15, 2014, 01:24:51 am
Wow yeah. Good fixes. Big thumbs up!

Offline Probo

• View Profile

Reply #33 on: October 15, 2014, 02:29:45 am
looks really cool man, and he could always take off his gloves to fire!

did a little edit on the material near the rightmost shoulder

eg. moved that crease coming from his armpit a bit to make better use of the space and added some highlights

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage

Reply #34 on: October 15, 2014, 10:29:19 am
great edit probo, thanks man

-changed the drapery
-changed the seam at the shoulder
-increased the size of the holster

"Because the beauty of the human body is that it hasn't a single muscle which doesn't serve its purpose; that there's not a line wasted; that every detail of it fits one idea, the idea of a man and the life of a man."

Dev-Art
Twitter

Offline Night

• exidelo
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/26118.htm
    • Exidelo
    • View Profile

Reply #35 on: October 15, 2014, 02:54:04 pm
Looking neat!

Can't quite pin-point what's bothering me, but something about the torso and the shoulders just doesn't look quite right..

With the drapery on the arm only thing that I'd suggest to add are some creases forming from under the shoulders, the armpit I guess. Also on the rear arm the creases that are created between the upper and lower limb you would expect to be more dramatic (like with the shoulders area) and smaller than yours (the feel it gives off right now in the rear arm is kinda like plastic rather than cloth).

The area with the fur on the neck I feel should be lighter and the area under it too shoulder be lighter (it gives off the feel that the fur is way on top of the clothing under).

The foot looks like it's going inwards, which I doubt was the intention, so I moved it outwards almost completely (same with the knee pad, made it so that it faces more to the left and also faces slightly more downwards because the knee is bent).

Some other really minor stuff:
The end of the gun, where the hand holds it; it looks like it could slip out of his hand in any moment, so perhaps elongating it slightly to the palm of the hand would work.
The two button-like things on the fur, the one on the left looks a little too short (it should also be moved a tad to the back).
Think part of the chest should be seen on the rear end.
The back on the front should be protruding a bit more.

Anyway, keep up the good work!
There is light at the end of the tunnel.

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage

Reply #36 on: October 15, 2014, 06:33:14 pm

some really great detail things, especially loved the suggestions about the drapery.

The only things I'd disagree with are:
The bright lit area beneath the fur collar - there is actually a cast shadow (which is now hopefully clearer recognizable now)
And the rear foot - the foot isn't placed on the ground which increases actually the inward bend of the foot. I think it wa snot clear enough, tried to alter the shadow and add some folds - works better?

Dev-Art
Twitter

Offline Night

• exidelo
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/26118.htm
    • Exidelo
    • View Profile

Reply #37 on: October 15, 2014, 07:58:46 pm
Cool glad I could help.

Yeah it's definitely better now, only problem I had is that if there was so much shadow cast it'd mean that either the light source is really off to the far left, or that it's sticking out really far.

Only the heel isn't on the ground right? If so I realised that (my edit is a little bad, with the whole foot being shown on the ground), I still think it should be pointing more to the left though.
There is light at the end of the tunnel.

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage

Reply #38 on: October 17, 2014, 12:04:22 pm
yeah only the heal isn't at ground.
I played around with the rear foot, made the folds more apparent and the overall form more consistent compared to the front foot.
I Guess it's now a good middle between outward bent foot, inward bend right shoe and perspective
Also think that this one is now pretty much finished.

Dev-Art
Twitter

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #39 on: November 10, 2014, 03:25:50 pm
I really love your stuff, but I feel like the details get in the way of establishing a good sense of light/dark. Too many local changes from very dark to very light. I was messing around with it a bit, but I don't have enough time to go through with it. Here's an edit with some more global shadowing. My edit on the right, original on the left: