AuthorTopic: Legends of Aelandria Needs Artists!  (Read 3544 times)

Offline DylanLee

• View Profile

Legends of Aelandria Needs Artists!

on: September 19, 2013, 01:47:08 pm
Legends Of Aelandria
Hello everyone,
We are a small Indie development team working on a new RPG project set on the continent of Aelandria. We are hoping to combine some tried and tested RPG features with some unique new ideas in order to make an enjoyable game.

As you can see, we are writing this thread to give some info on the new project we are working on as well as looking for some help in developing it!  So here we go with some info:

Basic Info
First of all, thanks for your interest in our project!  The name ‘Legends of Aelandria’ is the series title, much like ‘The Elder Scrolls’, and we hope to make a game-specific title to add onto that once the game nears completion.  Aelandria is a continent located on the planet Gi. The game is to be a single player RPG set in a time of swords, shields, and magic.  We are using a pixel art style, with custom graphics and sprites and we currently have two artists working on the project, however due to the large amount of art they have to deal with we would gratefully accept any artist who would want to join us, especially sprite artists.
We are using Game Maker Studios, and we have a very capable programmer working on things.

Story
Below is the backstory of the protagonist of the game, Kar-Karos:

Kar-Karos was born an Aldro into a once rich family. His father, Esparro was the Kings Chief Physician in the capital of Aelandria, Farstyr, but was executed for treason 3 months before his birth after trying to poison the King. Because of this, his mother, Fenn, was exiled from the royal court, all the family riches taken away. She fled the city with the aid of one of the court magicians who was a close friend of Esparro, Gjorn. Gjorn felt a great power coming from the child growing inside Fenn and it made him uneasy. He travelled with her as she moved across the desert to the Great Elfin city of Kandohar, where her cousin lived as an Earl, so he could keep an eye on the child as it grew older.

They were taken in by her cousin and it was there that Kar-Karos and his twin brother, Kar-Horren were born. After the first birth, all Fenn’s strength left her, and only with her last breath was Kar-Karos born. The boys were raised by their mother’s cousin as though they were his own. Gjorn took it upon himself to mentor the brothers in the Arcane, giving him the opportunity to keep close watch over their development. As the boys grew older, Gjorn noticed a glint in the eye of Kar-Horren, a desire for power, and it worried him.

On the boys’ 14th birthday the Earl offered to take them both hunting, however Kar-Karos had recently recovered from ash fever, and was not yet strong enough to partake. At the request of Kar-Horren, Gjorn took his place. The hunt took a turn for the worse and none made it out unscathed; even the survivors were severely wounded. Only through the help of Kar-Karos did his twin survive the night, all others perishing.

After the Earl’s death, a new Earl needed to be named. As the boys were his only living relatives Kar-Horren, the elder of the boys by a few seconds, was named the next Earl of Rabadon.  With his newfound power, Kar-horren grew headstrong and began dabbling in dark magic.  One night, in a dream, he was visited by the exiled Goddess, Aktra.  She told him of how he could become the most powerful sorcerer to have ever lived and of how he would one day rule all of Aelandria if he stood by her side as her Champion. From that day forth, Kar-Horren began to worship Aktra in secret. One day however, Kar-Karos found out. Not wanting to have his brothere sentenced to death, he kept it to himself, thinking nothing would come of it.
After many months, the burden of knowing his brother practiced the dark arts got to Kar-Karos, and he left to live with the Ledro in the forest cities. For many years the brothers heard nothing of each other until one day a letter arrived for Kar-Karos from the Kandoheran Royal court. The letter explained that Kar-Horren (who now went only by the inherited title ‘Rabadon’) had been found guilty of worshipping the dark ones and was to be sentenced to death.
Kar-Karos rushed at once to Kandohar but when he got there he found the city empty, as though it had never been lived in. Rabadon had temporarily released Aktra from the void and they had killed everyone in the city.
Rabadon’s power was not yet great enough to fully release Aktra from her bindings and so she had to return to the void, Rabadon at her side.

Almost 100 years passed before the world saw anything of Rabadon again but sure enough he returned, and he wasn’t alone.  With an army of Sturum Gard behind him, he ventured from his fortress at Saecula Saeculorum and he waged war on every race. He first marched on Farstyr, the Aldro city and the largest city in Aelandria, and from there he ruled, dictating affairs for the whole of Aelandria, every living creature made his slave. As an act of vengeance on those who would have him dead, his army hunted down and killed every single Aldro in existence, except one.

Once Kar-Karos saw what his brother had done he locked himself in the temple of Kandohar and pleaded with the Gods that they may grant him the power to defeat Rabadon and undo the evil that his silence had helped cause, but the Gods did not answer.  He wandered the world for 9 years searching for the power to defeat his twin; blaming himself for what had happened. He thought that if only he had stopped him sooner things would have been different. The lives of those of Aelandria and all the Aldro were his weight to bear. One day his travels took him to a dilapidated shrine. As he passed, he heard a voice calling out to him. He followed it and saw a woman kneeling in front of a statue of Mitera. He could tell that this woman was not of this earth. The woman turned to face him and spoke “Fear not, son of Cecia, (the god who created the Aldro, Kar-Karos’ race) I answer your calling. Come to me.” Kar-Karos approached cautiously, the woman remained looking at him, still and silent. As Kar-Karos drew nearer, the woman seemed to grow and tower above him. As he got to the feet of the statue the woman turned her gaze and stared into his eyes. Suddenly Kar-Karos knew who she was. He fell to his knees, knowing that even despite her appearance; this woman could destroy him if she wanted.

“My mother, (mitera, the ‘mother’ goddess, not his actual mother) you have called, and I have answered” spoke Kar-Karos as he knelt before the woman. She smiled and reached out a hand
“Come my child, sit with me. We have seen your struggle and we have waited, watching you grow in strength. Now the time has come for action. Behind this shrine is the staff Endyllmar. Take it, and become my champion”
“I will” replied Kar-Karos
The woman reached out to him and placed Kar-Karos' head upon her lap. A vision of Rabadon leading an army appeared in his head. Then 4 items flashed before his eyes. He understood what needed to be done. “My mother, I thank you” began Kar-Karos, but before he could finish his sentence, the woman had disappeared. He stood and made his way to the back of the shrine, and sure enough, there was the worn battle staff, Endyllmar. When he took it power flowed through him and wrecked his body for an entire day; making him a vessel of power. When he regained consciousness he set out to find the 4 items that had been shown to him. The Gods had finally answered his plea. They could no longer stand idly by and watch Aktra destroy the world.

Alone, Kar-Karos rode to Farstyr to do battle with Rabadon. Legend says the battle lasted for 3 days, but at the end, Kar-Karos defeated Rabadon. He began to drain Rabadons power, preventing him from summoning Aktra, and weakening him so that he could be defeated once and for all; however, before landing the killing blow Kar-Karos hesitated, not wanting to kill his brother. Aktra seized this moment and took Rabadon to the void...

There is a large amount of lore and backstory written that I have left out of this section, but I think this is more than long enough to whet your appetites for what we have going at the moment. Rest assured, everything starts to fit together ;)

Features
Here are a few of the basic features we plan to implement in the game: 
• 7 Playable races, each with unique bonuses including: Human, Orc, Elf, and Dwarf
• A new take on the skill tree of many RPG games, the player will have three separate trees, one for levelling up normal skills, the other for completing challenges set by the Gods at shrines, and the last one a race specific tree.
• Custom graphics as stated earlier, but always a nice feature
• Paperdolled items and equipment
• Post-Endgame areas (areas that you become available after completing the main storyline) that contain high level bosses and enemies, and extra loot!
• Unconventional mana system

More info on these can be found in the community forums on the site at the link at the bottom of the post!

Screenshots
Start to the World Map:

Main Menu (needs logo still):

In game HUD with placeholders:

Some Music

https://soundcloud.com/jumblatts/unfinished-buisness/s-gqE17

https://soundcloud.com/jumblatts/title1/s-K6uZk

https://soundcloud.com/jumblatts/long-road-to-ruin/s-VrI0Y

The Team

The team currently consists of:
A programmer,
GUI artist,
Plot writer
Composer
2 Artists.

We are primarily looking for more artists, including a concept artist, sprite artists and tile artists. However we are always looking for people willing to help, so if you do anything else and would like to help out, we would love to hear from you, whatever your talent!
We are looking for a group of people who will be dedicated to helping on this project. We are not asking that you devote all your free time to this; everyone has other things that they do and that’s not a problem at all with us. What we ARE asking is that you show commitment, possibly by visiting the forums and posting ideas/progress etc. semi regularly. If you would be interested in joining the team for this project, just reply here and we will PM you or shoot me a PM and we will respond as soon as possible.  If you want anymore info, much more can also be found in the forums on the site at: http://legendsofaelandria.enjin.com

Thanks!
-LoA Team
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 01:49:27 pm by DylanLee »

Offline Baba

• View Profile

Re: Legends of Aelandria Needs Artists!

Reply #1 on: September 23, 2013, 04:19:02 am
You may want to change the name of Kandohar - I'm not sure if you're aware, but Kandahar is the capital city of Kandahar Province in Afghanistan.
Terse? I can be terse. Once, in flight school, I was laconic.

Offline DylanLee

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: September 23, 2013, 02:41:56 pm
Oh I had no idea. Thanks :) I will bring that up to the writer

Offline Baba

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: September 25, 2013, 11:52:56 pm
No problem. I spent a little time over there in '08-'09, which is why that jumped out at me right away.
Terse? I can be terse. Once, in flight school, I was laconic.