AuthorTopic: Some game illustrations  (Read 9099 times)

Offline PixelPiledriver

• Yo!
    • View Profile
    • My Blog

Re: Some game illustrations

Reply #10 on: September 15, 2013, 12:25:18 am
I got the feeling that it was more light-hearted
I also thought this.
The expression of the image could be pushed to more threatening if that's what you're going for.
Here's some rough ideas.

Also I didn't notice the controller in the second image the first few looks.
But yah cool, I like these.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 05:14:47 am by PixelPiledriver »
And knowing that it is, we seek what it is... ~ Aristotle, Posterior Analytics, Chapter 1

Offline Tourist

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: September 15, 2013, 05:43:50 am
1st image, there are three points of interest, the hands, the sword tip, the face.  The eye does not follow from one to the other very well.

There is a tangent point with the breast plate and the rear arm.

The stance is a bit weak.  The arm hides the torso, the hair hides the face, the whole thing is wobbly.  No line of action.

The belt could probably be lower.  Belt at the hips instead of at the waist.

Edit:

Used a reference for the chin shape.  The rest was me just moving things around.  Also, I like faces, so I spent some time there.  Pose is meant to be casual dangerous.  Still needs lots of work, but you get the idea.  Argh, the neck shadow needs to extend to the armor.  Probably could look angrier too, but I wasn't sure of the mood you wanted.

See how the arm links to sword, which links back to the face.  It keeps the eye moving around where you want it to go.

2nd image, neck anatomy is a bit weird.  Lighting on the radiator implies a sharper angle than the person's shoulders.  Controller needs more emphasis, face could use a stronger expression.

Overall these are rather nice.
Hope this helps,
Tourist

Offline Siskan

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: September 15, 2013, 05:03:58 pm
The expression of the image could be pushed to more threatening if that's what you're going for.
Here's some rough ideas.
Your edit works best in my mind. I took after some of the stuff you did (don't mind the background for now, I've yet to get started).

1st image, there are three points of interest, the hands, the sword tip, the face.  The eye does not follow from one to the other very well.

There is a tangent point with the breast plate and the rear arm.

The stance is a bit weak.  The arm hides the torso, the hair hides the face, the whole thing is wobbly.  No line of action.

The belt could probably be lower.  Belt at the hips instead of at the waist.
Used a reference for the chin shape.  The rest was me just moving things around.  Also, I like faces, so I spent some time there.  Pose is meant to be casual dangerous.  Still needs lots of work, but you get the idea.  Argh, the neck shadow needs to extend to the armor.  Probably could look angrier too, but I wasn't sure of the mood you wanted.

See how the arm links to sword, which links back to the face.  It keeps the eye moving around where you want it to go.

Thanks for your critique.

I should probably have written a bit about this character. To make it short: A prince has been cursed and trapped as a church bell:

His sister, the princess, doesn't have much experience. But she's very determined to help her brother and she isn't afraid to do so either.

Your edit is rather nice, but with this in mind, she surely doesn't fit the description. She looks too mature and cocky.
Also about the belt, I'm going for a 90s look. Not just graphically but also fashion-wise.

I'll get back to you both about the second illustration later.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 05:09:26 pm by Siskan »

Offline Siskan

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: September 15, 2013, 08:54:09 pm
Got started on a third one as well!

Offline Tourist

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: September 15, 2013, 10:03:59 pm
No worries.  My edit does not look much like a princess.

New mustache man looks promising so far.  All of your characters have an unhappy mouth.  Intentional?

Tourist

Offline Siskan

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: September 15, 2013, 10:12:27 pm
No worries.  My edit does not look much like a princess.

New mustache man looks promising so far.  All of your characters have an unhappy mouth.  Intentional?

Tourist
Hah, well. In the princess's case I attempted to make this determined expression. I wouldn't really call it sad myself. The girl playing SNES on the other hand, I don't know. I wanted her to simply look concentrated at first, but she did end up looking sad instead. I'll probably try to alter it once I pick that piece up again! Thanks for reminding me. And I haven't decided on the postman's expression yet. In his case I want to have his personality show in his expression but I didn't quite figure out how yet. So I just settled with this for the time being.

Edit: Here's an update:
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 10:53:36 pm by Siskan »

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #16 on: September 16, 2013, 03:52:51 am
Its a good starting sketch but on larger images you should try offsetting your light source and maybe adding some subtle environmental back-lighting.
Then increase your contrast in response to the lighting.
Even draw the lighting arrow/s in so we can see what you're trying to do.
Lighting is so symmetrical now that it just makes it look flat and pillowy.

Offline Siskan

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: September 16, 2013, 12:04:44 pm
How is this?

« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 12:23:52 pm by Siskan »

Offline Siskan

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: September 16, 2013, 05:11:31 pm
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 05:56:19 pm by Siskan »

Offline Facet

• View Profile

Reply #19 on: September 16, 2013, 06:16:13 pm
I'm not sure, actually about the extra rendering here (good practice though it may be :D); this guy is now quite a bit more rendered in the face (4 shades of skin versus 2, full modelling) & less stylised (full nose/mouth, regular eyes) than the previous two, I'd consider knocking that back a bit for consistency across the set.

The carriage there feels pretty cramped between his head and the frame; interacting with the foreground by abutting stuff rather than being overlapped, and it's contrast (nearly as much as the guy) is also pulling it to the front a bit. Again, the other two had nice simple colour separation fg/bg.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 06:19:56 pm by Facet »